radiator removal by wreakhavoc
Started on: 05-10-2003 10:56 AM
Replies: 6
Last post by: Carrolles on 05-13-2003 01:14 PM
wreakhavoc

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2003 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wreakhavocSend a Private Message to wreakhavocDirect Link to This Post
Is it really necessary to remove the hood to get the radiator out? It says to in the Haynes manual but I can't see that the hood bracket bolts are connected to the radiator support.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jeremymarsh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2003 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jeremymarshSend a Private Message to jeremymarshDirect Link to This Post
I did not remove my hood I think all I did is remove hoses, fan and unbolt the upper bracket that holds it in and slide it up and out, hope this helps it has been a while since I did mine. From my experience with both the haynes and chiltons books don't believe everything in those books, not always precise. Better off just to come to the forum and ask.
1MohrFiero

Feedback score:    (37)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2003 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroDirect Link to This Post
I can back up what Jeremy said. I did it last year. I think all I had to dowas remove the shroud and the upper rad support and it lifted right out. Might need two people for that last part because it is an odd angle.

------------------

Dwayne Mohr
84 SC Red
87 GT 5sp Silver
(Formerly FieroSoul member since 2001)

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2003 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Its just easier to get out without risking paint scratches. But then of course if you take the hood off, you may scratch it anyway, lol.
wreakhavoc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2003 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wreakhavocSend a Private Message to wreakhavocDirect Link to This Post
Yeah it cracks me up in those books no matter what you are doing the first step is to "disconnect the negative battery cable"

...From my experience with both the haynes and chiltons books don't believe everything in those books, not always precise. Better off just to come to the forum and ask.

carpetviper

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2003 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carpetviperClick Here to visit carpetviper's HomePageSend a Private Message to carpetviperDirect Link to This Post
I didn't take off my hood either, it should slip out just fine.

------------------

Carrolles

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2003 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CarrollesSend a Private Message to CarrollesDirect Link to This Post
Many years ago (around 1999) there was a thread concerning "disconnect Negative Battery Terminal" that you all should read.

Basically a guy (don't remember who) was changing spark plugs on the front side of a V-6. He did not disconnect the negative terminal.

While swinging his wrench on the no. 2 plug the wrench contacted a live wire (starter is directly below) and almost burned his finger off. It actually burned his wedding ring into his finger down to the bone.

I didn't usually disconnect the negative terminal for minor jobs but I sure think about it now especially when wrenching around the starter.

BTW I don't remove the hood to pull the radiator either.

[This message has been edited by Carrolles (edited 05-13-2003).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock