Started on: 05-31-2003 07:50 PM
Replies: 19
Last post by: avengador1 on 06-03-2003 07:04 PM
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2003 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
It's a good thing that I measured the stock seats and choose a replacement that was very similar in size. Let me tell you that it sure was a squeze fitting the new seats in, actually the new seat since I only did the drivers side today. Tomorrow I will install the passenger side and it should go in a lot quicker. OK on to the install. First I mounted the new seats to the factory seat tracks. Why did I do that, it was the fastest and easiest way to do this. I used some flat stock that I bought at home depot. It was 2" wide by 36" long. I cut it to two 16" lengths. This is going to adapt the new seat to the old tracks. . Next I removed the old tracks from the stock seats. The adapters get mounted to the new seat with spacers. Followed by the tracks with more spacers to clear the bolts that hold the adapters. Eventually I will get countersunk screws to help lower the whole thing, but this will work for now. Now it's a matter of contorting the seats into the car and squeezing it to get the tracks mounted onto the studs. Here are a couple of pictures of the final product. Remember, measure twice cut once. You will notice that the new seat is a bit taller than the stock seat.

------------------

[This message has been edited by avengador1 (edited 05-31-2003).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2003 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
Looking good.. I'll check em out tomorrow! How are they as far as comfort?
avengador1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2003 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
They are very snug. Let me know what time you will be here.
jb1

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2003 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Direct Link to This Post
you can buy sliders and brackest from http://www.mmrusa.com they are on the expensive side $125 per seat, but for someone not good a fabricating.
GT40Guy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2003 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GT40GuySend a Private Message to GT40GuyDirect Link to This Post
Looks good!

What seats are they? They look like Sparco.

iluvmacs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2003 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for iluvmacsClick Here to visit iluvmacs's HomePageSend a Private Message to iluvmacsDirect Link to This Post
Any plans to use a 4 or 5 point harness? I am looking to do the same thing but I wonder where to mount the right shoulder belt.

------------------
duane.dhs.org

• 1985 Fiero V6 5sp
  • 1990 Honda Civic wagon
  • 1996 Suzuki GSF 600
avengador1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2003 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
The seats I got from Ebay. They are Monza brand and are supposed to be made in Australia. I spent less than $30 in the items needed to adapt the new seats to the stock seat racks. I just measured the distance between the bolt holes in the new and old seats and made the adapter brackets so that the seats would be centered on them. I could have offset the holes to give me some more side room, but it was a tight fit. I saw some other seats for sale on Ebay but they had even higher backs to them. I wanted a pair of seats that would fit in the stock location with the stock seat tracks. The new seats did come with their own seat tracks, that are very nice, but they would not work with the stock mounting studs in the Fiero. The studs aren't even in a square configuration like the new seats. The back studs are offset to the left. I also didn't want to have to drive holes in the pan to mount the new seats. Liked mentioned above, I too saw the mounting kits they sell and decided to just make my own. I decided they weren't worth the price, and fabricating mine didn't take more than an hour, plus I didn't have to wait for them to come in. I have no plans for a harness yet, maybe some time in the future.

[This message has been edited by avengador1 (edited 05-31-2003).]

G-Nasty

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 225
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2003 02:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for G-NastyClick Here to visit G-Nasty's HomePageSend a Private Message to G-NastyDirect Link to This Post
Looks like someone needs new headliner...
Those look like they really grab. Better loose any extra weight.
Do they feel tall? Do you sit much higher?
Im in love with corvette seats. 93 vettes have seats that someday I hope to get my fingers on. They should also fit in a fiero.

Diablo kit seat repros look killer as well.

Great job-

OUT>

avengador1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2003 08:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
Yeah, a new headliner is on my list of projects. I even have the stuff to do it, just haven't gotten around to it yet. The new seats do feel like you sit higher and with the spacers I had to use they are about an inch higher than they should be. I have to get some countersunk bolts to fix that, but for now this will work.
iluvmacs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2003 08:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for iluvmacsClick Here to visit iluvmacs's HomePageSend a Private Message to iluvmacsDirect Link to This Post
I redid my headliner in a few hours, but I had the plastic pieces that hold it on out of the car for painting. It was extremely easy, just glued on some fabric from the local craft store. Getting those plastic pieces back on is a real $#@&%.
avengador1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2003 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
Here's a final picture. What do you guy's think of the end results?
PFF
System Bot
Oslo

Feedback score:    (53)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2003 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OsloClick Here to visit Oslo's HomePageSend a Private Message to OsloDirect Link to This Post
that looks really good!
SplineZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2003 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SplineZClick Here to visit SplineZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to SplineZDirect Link to This Post
man those seats look really really tall....

James Z

------------------

- 2.8v6, 5spd
- no cat, msd ignition/coil, K&N

MAD MAZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2003 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MAD MAZSend a Private Message to MAD MAZDirect Link to This Post
Got very simmilar seat to those in my 88 they to were from aus and go by the name of "Auto Technica" [still made in china though]They also sat very high so i had to take the runners off and bolt the directly to the floor then they ended up the right hieght but it wuz one hell of a job to get them in the right position as you only get one chance to drill holes. They look and feel great though. i'm now in the process of adding 3 point harnesses
MM

[This message has been edited by MAD MAZ (edited 06-01-2003).]

avengador1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2003 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
Mine are bolted to the stock Fiero seat rails. I wanted to do it this way in case I decide to go back to the old seats. Right now I have about 1" of spacers to fit them to the rails, but I will be able to get rid of this with some special head bolts and some notching out of the adapter brackets I made. These seats have a thicker foam bottom that the stock Fiero seats. I kind of like the higher driving position, and I still fit in the car with plently of head room. The backrest on the new seats is also at 4 inches taller than the stock seats.

[This message has been edited by avengador1 (edited 06-01-2003).]

The_Stickman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2003 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The_StickmanClick Here to visit The_Stickman's HomePageSend a Private Message to The_StickmanDirect Link to This Post
What are the size restrictions of putting these types of seats in a Fiero? I suppose the width is the biggest restriction. Anybody have the measurements? Thanx.

------------------
The Stickman

http://members.tripod.com/~TheStickman/SnTsFieros.html

rroberts

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2003 12:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rrobertsSend a Private Message to rrobertsDirect Link to This Post
Did you retain the stock seat belts?? Ya the 5 point harness looks good but is a pain to hook up evey little trip to the corner store. Plus the 5 point doesn't have any give, if you need to reach for anything you need to disconect. The seats look great!! I like the simple idea on the install. I try to use the KISS when I work on or build things.

------------------
85 GT 4spd 2.8 1 yr blk
86 SE 4spd 2.8 2 yr blk
86 GT Auto 2.8 new to me.
87 SE 5spd Future 4.9 6yr

Elenor84

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2003 09:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Elenor84Click Here to visit Elenor84's HomePageSend a Private Message to Elenor84Direct Link to This Post
Those seats look awesome! Nice choice. Ya I think all they need is the 5 point harness and your good to go. A suggestion, and what I think I'm going to do is retain the original seatbelts and just put them back behind when your racing and when your pleasure driving just use the stock ones.
avengador1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2003 09:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
In the last picture you can see my stock seatbelts with "Pilot" shoulder pads. I am lowering the seats today as I finally got the right hardware and can now eliminate all the spacers. I will post some pictures later of the modified adapter brackets. The seats are actually Black and Grey in color, I guess the flash makes them look a different color.

[This message has been edited by avengador1 (edited 06-03-2003).]

avengador1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2003 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post

avengador1

35468 posts
Member since Oct 2001
Here's a final picture of the brackets and how the seats look mounted flat on the stock rails.

The White marks on the center console are my attempt to fix some burns my son made with the cigarette lighter. Needeless to say he doesn't have any more video games to play for the whole week.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock