Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Question re: 88 Front suspension removal...

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Question re: 88 Front suspension removal... by Seanpaul
Started on: 08-04-2003 04:51 AM
Replies: 11
Last post by: Seanpaul on 08-05-2003 10:12 AM
Seanpaul

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2003 04:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SeanpaulSend a Private Message to SeanpaulDirect Link to This Post

So yesterday there was a 88 at the local pick'n'pull I slammed a quick 85 bucks in the guys hands and told him I'd come by
for it on Monday...So I need a quick answer hopefully you early birds will respond to this before 2pm on Monday...

So I need to remove the entire suspension, and in a search I found this pic...

My question is about the yellow bolts that are on the carriage between the upper and lower control arms..
Do I have to remove the upper or lower control arm to unbolt them..?? Or is it possible with the control arms hanging low,
to reach in between them and unbolt the hole carrier assembly with out having to remove the rack or the arms???

I hope to do this as easy as possible.....

------------------

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Seanpaul

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2003 04:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SeanpaulSend a Private Message to SeanpaulDirect Link to This Post
Umm...the 88 will bolt to my 86 correct...??
Gordo

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2003 06:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GordoSend a Private Message to GordoDirect Link to This Post
No, you don't need to remove the control arms. The entire unit will come off in one piece. I have done it before. It comes out all in one piece, sway bar & all.

Be sure you keep the steering rack. You will have to remove the coolant tubes & disconnect the brake line from the center of the cross member.

DRH

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 55
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2003 07:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DRHSend a Private Message to DRHDirect Link to This Post
It will all come out as one unit. I would leave the steering rack on it. Just unattach the steering column. (Remove the spare tire holder for easier access) I'm pretty sure you'll need the 88 rack anyway. The whole thing will be fairly heavy. Stripped down it probably weighs over 100 pounds... the whole thing is in the 200+ range.

As far as mounting in a pre-88... I've never done it, but I'd be very suprised if it just bolted right in. I know it's been done before though... maybe someone will post...

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2003 08:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
What the others said.
It comes out in one piece, but it *is* heavy.
Bring a friend or two.
It won't fit into an earlier car without a good amount of cutting and welding. It *has* been done, though.
You will need the 88 rack if you don't already have one. The earlier ones are different.

------------------
Raydar

88 3.4 coupe. 17s, cut springs 'n all.

Doug Chase

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2003 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug ChaseSend a Private Message to Doug ChaseDirect Link to This Post
This will help you: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-000001/HTML/20010116-2-004275.html

It's Will's write up of exactly how to do this swap. You'll need more parts from that car than just the front suspension.

------------------
Doug Chase
'88 Fiero Formula 5-spd (autocrosser)
'88 Fiero GT 5-spd (daily driver)
'85 Fiero GT 5-spd (rally car)
'87 Fiero SE V6 5-spd (for sale $2200)
'88 Fiero Formula 5-spd (parts car / future rally car #2)
Custom roll cage fabrication available
Custom exhaust fabrication available

Seanpaul

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2003 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SeanpaulSend a Private Message to SeanpaulDirect Link to This Post

Hey guys, thanks for such grate input...Well I did it....

Used large car crane, picked up front end, bent back coolant tubes, removed tires, cut brake hoses above calipers,
removed retaining bolt from rack...removed far rear bolts first, then removed the near rear section of the forward bolts,
then loused the last remaining forward bolts...

...rented a wheel barrel, lowered car close to wheel barrel, and then removed the louse forward bolts....
Wham....200lbs of 88 front suspension lands on wheel barrel.....me happy.....

It only took me 1 hour including the set up, and monkey'ing around with the large crane.....

Seanpaul

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2003 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SeanpaulSend a Private Message to SeanpaulDirect Link to This Post

Seanpaul

1320 posts
Member since Mar 2003
Does anyone have pics of the swap will has done...?
I'm sad to find out I needed those coolant tubes, and break lines......

So now I'm gonna have to compromise...

------------------

Nashco

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 74
Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2003 12:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NashcoClick Here to visit Nashco's HomePageSend a Private Message to NashcoDirect Link to This Post
Hey, that's my picture! Wow, who would have thought that picture of a pile of suspension crossmembers would be a damn bit of good to anybody? Oh, besides me, of course! I'm glad you could use it.

Bryce
88 GT

Jim Gregory

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2003 02:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jim GregorySend a Private Message to Jim GregoryDirect Link to This Post
I've done this mod, and it's great!!! Give me a whistle and I'll shoot you a write-up.
Seanpaul

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2003 03:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SeanpaulSend a Private Message to SeanpaulDirect Link to This Post
Hay Nas...yea, a while ago I remember seeing that pic thinking to my self "some day that's gonna come in handy"
so I saved it...Then I wanted to read the thread it was posted in and so I searched for a while to find it...

Hey Jim, a write up on the swap would be grate...Just post it here, I'm sure someone else will want to read it...

PFF
System Bot
Seanpaul

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2003 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SeanpaulSend a Private Message to SeanpaulDirect Link to This Post

Seanpaul

1320 posts
Member since Mar 2003
bump.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock