sunroof gasket install by jeremymarsh
Started on: 06-04-2003 09:56 PM
Replies: 8
Last post by: PaulJK on 06-05-2003 09:38 PM
jeremymarsh

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2003 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jeremymarshSend a Private Message to jeremymarshDirect Link to This Post
I have a 86 se and I just got sunroof gasket from gm parts direct does it matter how I install, I noticed that there is a yellow mark on one of the long sides does it matter front or back also how hard was it to install and did you use any kind of sealant on it. Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jeremymarsh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2003 09:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jeremymarshSend a Private Message to jeremymarshDirect Link to This Post
Any body know.
David DeVoe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2003 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for David DeVoeSend a Private Message to David DeVoeDirect Link to This Post
I can't help but I'm glad you asked this question as I will probably be doing the same job in the near future. BTW do you have the part # for the gasket?
87GTSleeper

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2003 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GTSleeperSend a Private Message to 87GTSleeperDirect Link to This Post
This link is a cool walk-through of the install of the gasket.
http://www.kichline.com/chuck/fiero/sunroof/

By Chuck Kichline

Good Luck!

[This message has been edited by 87GTSleeper (edited 06-05-2003).]

jeremymarsh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2003 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jeremymarshSend a Private Message to jeremymarshDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by David DeVoe:

I can't help but I'm glad you asked this question as I will probably be doing the same job in the near future. BTW do you have the part # for the gasket?

The part # thruogh gm parts direct is 20528472.

jeremymarsh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2003 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jeremymarshSend a Private Message to jeremymarshDirect Link to This Post

jeremymarsh

521 posts
Member since Jul 2002

Originally posted by 87GTSleeper:

This link is a cool walk-through of the install of the gasket.
http://www.kichline.com/chuck/fiero/sunroof/

By Chuck Kichline

Good Luck!

[This message has been edited by 87GTSleeper (edited 06-05-2003).]

So did you put the yellow mark at the front or rear of roof and did you use any kind of sealant on it.

87GTSleeper

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2003 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GTSleeperSend a Private Message to 87GTSleeperDirect Link to This Post
The write-up says that he put the yellow stripe toward the front. I have not installed mine yet (after I paint) but found that link in anticipation.

I intend to seal mine with some black RTV or 3-M weather-strip stuff. The write-up said he would do his with RTV (silicone). I'd definitely put SOMETHING in there.

tgowens

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2003 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tgowensClick Here to visit tgowens's HomePageSend a Private Message to tgowensDirect Link to This Post
If you look at the gasket very closely you will notice that two of the corners are more rounded than the other two...... the rounded corners go in the front and the more square corners go toward the rear of the car.

That's just in case the yellow mark rubs off

I use a clear silicone (Goop makes the type I use - I used it to seal the windows on my boat) but be careful and do not cover the drain holes in the rear corners ...

[This message has been edited by tgowens (edited 06-05-2003).]

PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2003 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
I've done with both of my cars. Found out the hard way that the yellow mark goes to the FRONT of the car.

Buy a jar of vaseline. Clean the old gasket out of the roof channelling. Use COPIOUS vaseline on the new gasket, rubbing it over the new gasket and you can even put some in the roof channelling. Lay the new gasket in place on the roof. Squeeze the new gasket with your fingers and push it into the channelling, working your way around until you're done. The gasket will seem to be too long, but the vaseline will help it slip into place in and around the channel. In addition, the vaseline will prevent the gasket from drying out. I DID NOT use sealant because the vaseline softened and expanded the gasket - I gave the hose test and it sealed tight w/o sealant ! The vaseline is easy to clean up and lets the gasket and sunroof settle. Personally, I'd avoid sealant if possible.

[This message has been edited by PaulJK (edited 06-05-2003).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock