ALDL Problem by X86GT
Started on: 10-09-2003 05:11 PM
Replies: 11
Last post by: X86GT on 10-10-2003 09:54 PM
X86GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2003 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for X86GTClick Here to visit X86GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to X86GTDirect Link to This Post
Okay, here's what I have:

86GT W/1227170 ECM
Cable: New Jefrysuko cable w/panel mount plug
WINALDL: Version 1.09 (latest version)

Everything is absolutely possitively connected properly in the ALDL plug. WINALDL identifies the connection on COM 3. ECM selected is 1227170. Fire up the car...no data stream whatsoever.

I've searched the forum archive for answers and thought I had it solved when I read a compatability issue with the way NT (winxp) deals with serial ports. I switched to win98 compatability mode and......nothing. I've checked, double checked, walked away from it, you name it....no data stream. I have total confidence in the cable workmanship as jefrysuko tests them before shipping. I've tried everything I know.

Any ideas?

And I thought this was going to be a neat little project to have fun with today.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
2hardheaded

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2003 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2hardheadedSend a Private Message to 2hardheadedDirect Link to This Post
I don't believe it's gonna work with XP no matter what setting you have it on. It wouldn't work on my laptop with XP and worked fine on my friends laptop with 98SE. Good luck.

Steve

X86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2003 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for X86GTClick Here to visit X86GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to X86GTDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking based on what I've read in the archives. I know win98 compatability mode doesn't help. One guy said he had it working with XP home though. Guess I will make my laptop a dualboot system and see if that works. I'll let everyone know how that works out.

Thanks for the info

Rod

LordBoOsT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2003 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LordBoOsTSend a Private Message to LordBoOsTDirect Link to This Post
hmmm. i have a stupid idea. try plugging in ur laptop instead of using battery power, maybe its a power issue. worth a shot.
X86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2003 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for X86GTClick Here to visit X86GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to X86GTDirect Link to This Post
Lordboost~You know what? I've heard that somewhere before but forgot about it until I read your post. I'll give it a shot in the morning. Thanks

Rod

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 572
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2003 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
It could be you need to alter tha cable wiring for XP... NT/2K/XP pro may need the some of the other serial cable signals handled differently to work.

I don't have allot of detail on XP handy. I used to have to do stuff like that when making serial cables for plotters printers and other junk years ago. You couldn't just use the data lines and ground. Sometimes it was as simple as putting a jumper across a couple of the com port terminals so it would see one or more handshake lines go active.

My guess is that XP is doing something like that. Until it sees the handshake lines it's looking for it just ignores the data line.

Serial port wiring is pretty standard. There are specs for it all over the place. I don't have a Winaldl compatible car so I can't test the thing to see what is going on.

It is also posible the author needs to alter the program to handle the NT/2K/XP com ports.

------------------
Be alert. The world need more lerts...

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top of every forum page...)

Jefrysuko

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2003 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JefrysukoSend a Private Message to JefrysukoDirect Link to This Post
I am running XP Home on my Compaq Presario 2700 and I test all the cables on that machine with a USB to Serial Link cable.

I believe someone else had problems with a newer Dell Inspiration using XP Pro. I believe the problem might have been a low level chip set. Basically the voltage provided to the serial port via the chip set was not at the standard levels.

There are a few ways around this the easiest being a USB to Serial link. I have experimented with external power sources and have had mixed results. If you want to look into what the voltage of your serial port is let me know and I will walk you through it if you have a volt meter.

Just in case you might be hooking up the wires wrong here is the link for the sale thread. The picture of how to hook up the wires is about half way down. https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/012844.html

------------------

BioDeathWalker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2003 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BioDeathWalkerClick Here to visit BioDeathWalker's HomePageSend a Private Message to BioDeathWalkerDirect Link to This Post
I have a Dell laptop running xp pro and winaldl worked fine for me.
X86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2003 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for X86GTClick Here to visit X86GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to X86GTDirect Link to This Post
BioDeathWalker~ Are you using a serial to USB or connecting directly to the serial port? So far today, I haven't had the chance to get back to the car to try anything. I do believe it will end up being a XP serial port/power issue as theogre and jefrysuko has suggested.

Thanks for the input guys...

Rod

X86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2003 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for X86GTClick Here to visit X86GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to X86GTDirect Link to This Post

X86GT

227 posts
Member since Mar 2002
Problem solved.

I first tried using the power supply instead of battery power...still no data stream...darn!

Went to Comp USA and purchased an iConcepts PDA Serial to USB Adaptor #60446 for $29.95. Installed adaptor software for XP and bingo, we have data... . The computer maintains the data stream on external power supply and on battery power.

Now, where can I go to find out how to interpret all this data?

Rod

Jefrysuko

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2003 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JefrysukoSend a Private Message to JefrysukoDirect Link to This Post
Good, glad you got it going. For interpreting the data you ought to go read a factory service manual. There is alot of good information in there if you actually go find it.

------------------

PFF
System Bot
X86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2003 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for X86GTClick Here to visit X86GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to X86GTDirect Link to This Post
Okay, will do. Thanks everyone for your input...

Rod

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock