Started on: 12-18-2003 09:47 PM
Replies: 82
Last post by: Tom Slick on 02-05-2004 02:01 PM
Tom Slick

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2004 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Sounds like the sliders (the round fittings that the bolts pass through) need to be pushed toward the rear of the caliper. They should move freely in the caliper, as far as the rubber boots will let them. If you haven't removed, cleaned, and re-lubed them, it would be a very good idea.
ONLY use silicone lube that is designed for brake systems. Otherwise the heat from the brakes will cook the lube.

It's just about impossible to install the knuckle on the wrong side. The upper and lower balljoints have different size stems, and the tie rods wouldn't have lined up, either.

they move? i put a c-clamp on one but couldn't not get it to move. i didn't try real hard didn't want to break it. i will try again tonight maybe i'll spray some PB on it. thanks for the info.

toms...

IP: Logged
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2004 12:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
They slide in bores in the calipers.
They have rubber boots on each end to keep water and crud out, and lube in.
You might need to spray some Liquid Wrench or PB Blaster into the bore, to free them up enough to remove them.
You might be able to get the boots off with the sliders frozen, but they are kind of a snug fit. They could tear. Also, the solvents in the PB Blaster might attack the boots. Be ready for that. I *know* that a liberal application of brake cleaner will make them swell up.
I think the Fiero Store sells slider and boot kits, but they're kind of spendy. Around $35 per wheel. They may be available elsewhere for less. (I had a parts car. I was fortunate in that regard.)

Check this page Third item on the right.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 02-05-2004).]

Tom Slick

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2004 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickDirect Link to This Post
those are the stuck little boogers. kind of pricey. i've got two new/rebuilt front calipers that i got from calipersonline that i was going to put on in the summer when i get some rears. i guess i could put them on now. to get two of those slider and boots would be $70.00, for $30.00 more dollars you can get the whole calipers. i'm pretty sure those were included, i'll have to double check tonight when i get home from work.

toms...

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock