Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  FYI- Two different GM Synchromesh fluids - news to me.

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

FYI- Two different GM Synchromesh fluids - news to me. by Jdlog
Started on: 03-26-2004 06:14 AM
Replies: 17
Last post by: theogre on 03-27-2004 03:34 PM
Jdlog

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2004 06:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JdlogSend a Private Message to JdlogDirect Link to This Post
I just stumbled into this thread at Honda-Tech.com while searching Yahoo. It mentions not just how good GM Synchromesh is but also the fact (unknown to me) that there are 2 types of GM Synchromesh fluid. One says "Friction Modified". Pictures in the thread show them side by side (added below). This may account for much of the price difference mentioned elsewhere in PFF threads. I checked Pennzoil datasheets and they only list one type which is equivalent to GM part #12345349. No mention of the "Friction Modified" part number. But someone claims that Texaco is probably making these fluids for GM...who knows, maybe GM has 2 suppliers.

The question is: which of these is it that Fiero users have been getting? And their comments.

The very long but interesting thread is here :
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=641177

From the same forum:
GM part numbers:
Synchromesh ("round" bottle) - #12345349
Synchromesh Friction Modified ("oil" bottle) - #12377916

AC Delco part numbers:

Synchromesh ("round" bottle) - #10-4006
Synchromesh Friction Modified ("oil" bottle) - #10-4014

Also, found this at gmpartsdirect.com:
GM PART # 12377916 (note: this is the Friction Modified one)
CATEGORY: Vehicle Care
PACK QTY: 6 CORE CHARGE: $0.00
GM LIST: $11.34
OUR PRICE: $6.46
DESCRIPTION: FLUID

GM PART # 12345349
CATEGORY: Vehicle Care
PACK QTY: 12 CORE CHARGE: $0.00
GM LIST: $9.91
OUR PRICE: $5.65
DESCRIPTION: FLUID-TRA

Beno

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
RossT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2004 06:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RossTClick Here to visit RossT's HomePageSend a Private Message to RossTDirect Link to This Post
Round bottle!!
Pontiac Boi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2004 07:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Pontiac BoiSend a Private Message to Pontiac BoiDirect Link to This Post
Autozone has it listed as 12345349, same part number for Penzoil too.

------------------

AIM: gtfastbackgt Cardomain site

Intel

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2004 07:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IntelSend a Private Message to IntelDirect Link to This Post
Yupp.... the round one it is!
Don't remember what the GM techinian said the other one was for...
$Rich$

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 398
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2004 07:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Direct Link to This Post
iva always used the round bottle aswell,
and i wouldnt put anything W/ the name Penzoil in my car
anatodigit

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2004 08:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for anatodigitClick Here to visit anatodigit's HomePageSend a Private Message to anatodigitDirect Link to This Post
mine came in the rectangle bottle ...but i don't think it said friction modified on it. I'll have to check.....It was much cheaper than I thought it would be
Jdlog

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2004 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JdlogSend a Private Message to JdlogDirect Link to This Post
The Honda folks are convinced that the "friction modified" formula is the one that works best, but this may only apply to their cars. Upon reading more of the thread, I found at least 1 guy who theorized that this FM formula may cause synchronizers to wear down a little faster. Even if it turned out to be true, many posters said they'd rather have the clearly smoother shifting benefit at the expense of a little extra wear. That's how impressed they are.

I am suspect that several Fiero owners got this FM formula not realizing there was a more "basic" one. To the extent that they may remember, it would be interesting to get their impressions.

This said, it appears that GM's recommendation, for Fieros, was the non-FM formula. OTH, I have not found anything saying that the FM formula is NOT adviced for Fieros...but I am getting old and blind .

Beno

FieroOilAnalyst

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2004 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroOilAnalystClick Here to visit FieroOilAnalyst's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroOilAnalystDirect Link to This Post
I'd like to chime in here with a quick recommendation and offer. If anyone has any of this fluid on hand, I'd like to send you a small oil sample jar, have you fill the jar and send it back to me. I'd like to run lab tests on both fluid types to find the precise difference in the two. Hopefully something more than a viscosity difference. I would be more than happy to pay the lab costs and post my results for PFF members to review. I'm not familiar with this fluid at this point, but I also don't want to buy new quarts of it if a fellow member has some on hand.

In addition--I'd like to offer engine or transmission oil analysis services to any member of PFF. Because those of us that truly enjoy what these little cars have to offer, I will do this at my cost. This means that I will not charge more than the laboratory charges me for the testing + postage, and I will do the analysis of the results myself.

If anyone wants to donate the trans fluid, or if interested in the analysis, feel free to let me know.

Jdlog

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2004 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JdlogSend a Private Message to JdlogDirect Link to This Post
I don't have any of this stuff yet. We'll see if someone does.

I do have some motor oil from the last change that I kept to send to a lab (have their bottle somewhere...). PM me as to what I should do to have you take care of it.

Beno

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2004 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Synchromesh ("round" bottle) - #12345349
This is what I'm running. I've not heard about the Friction Modified.
Does anyone will Alldata access know of any TSB's that call for the FM?
Weponhead

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2004 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WeponheadSend a Private Message to WeponheadDirect Link to This Post
hey oil man.. :P how much would that cost someone? aproximatley?
PFF
System Bot
Scott-Wa

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2004 02:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott-WaClick Here to visit Scott-Wa's HomePageSend a Private Message to Scott-WaDirect Link to This Post
Friction modified is for posi differential applications that call for it to keep the clutches from chattering. Not an issue in our manual transmissions. I can't see it helping anything exept creating a lighter car (by the extra amount of cash your not carrying around)

HTH

SplineZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2004 04:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SplineZClick Here to visit SplineZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to SplineZDirect Link to This Post
Just to throw a monkey wrench into things... I have 2 bottles both rectangular; none mention friction modifiers, and both have diff part numbers than posted

James Z

------------------

Jdlog

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2004 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JdlogSend a Private Message to JdlogDirect Link to This Post
Wow, if those are Canadian dollar prices I think we'll start "importing" more than just medicines from Canada soon.

Well, at least we are getting all the applicable stock item numbers...there may even be a Mexican/Spanish version with its own cat. number, for all we know. Any Enchilada Fiero owners around?

Beno

SplineZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2004 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SplineZClick Here to visit SplineZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to SplineZDirect Link to This Post
haha..

Funny thing is I pick the stuff up at canadian tire, and the parts guys have no idea what im talking about. I have to talk to the service manager to get it.. There is no cdntire part number, so they had to write 'what they think' the price is on the front to get it pash cash

James Z

DustoneGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2004 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DustoneGTSend a Private Message to DustoneGTDirect Link to This Post
Dr. Dre
"whats the difference between me and you!"

I just popped gmpartsdirect an e-mail asking them the difference.
I will cut and paste their reply here if I get one.

------------------
Speed never killed anybody...Its the sudden stops that kill!

[This message has been edited by DustoneGT (edited 03-27-2004).]

DustoneGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2004 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DustoneGTSend a Private Message to DustoneGTDirect Link to This Post

DustoneGT

1274 posts
Member since Dec 2002
I've been digging around in google, and looking
at fluid additives called "friction modifiers"

They seem to reduce friction in order to reduce heat.
Friction reduction would seem to me to be something
that would make the synchros less effective, maybe I'm
wrong.

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 572
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2004 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
Before anyone asks... What I know about the fluid is in my cave, along with the GM TSB numbers that I have. If there are any other TSBs I don't know about them.

I did hear awhile back there was a new number but I don't know if it replaces the old SM fluid or not.

My thought is unless you know for certain that the other fluid is rated for use in the Fiero transmissions, don't use it. You don't change trans oil all that often so cost shouldn't really be a big issue.

Don't buy the stuff thru a dealer unless you have to. Use the AC or Pennzoil part numbers and order it thru a local parts counter. As long as you go to the parts store with a number they can usually get whatever.

------------------
The only thing George Orwell got wrong was the year.

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top of every forum page...)

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock