Pontiac V8 Swap by swanthog
Started on: 03-17-2004 04:24 PM
Replies: 47
Last post by: v8fiero400 on 04-14-2004 05:37 PM
PontiacMan

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2004 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PontiacManSend a Private Message to PontiacManDirect Link to This Post
Looks a lot like my block when I got it.

What heads are you going to use? I assume some aluminum heads since you dont want the heavy iron ones. KRE or Edelbrocks maybe? 6Xs actually flow rather well compared to the other, non-HO/roundport heads, but they have very big chambers giving very low compression.

As for the 2 bolt mains, you could get them splayed, but theres really no need unless you want to build a high-revving, high HP engine. 500 HP and < 5500 rpms will be no problem for 2 bolt mains.

Oh yah, also, all pontiac 400s (and most other sizes) should be internally balanced.

IP: Logged
swanthog

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2004 09:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for swanthogSend a Private Message to swanthogDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PontiacMan:
What heads are you going to use? I assume some aluminum heads since you dont want the heavy iron ones. KRE or Edelbrocks maybe? 6Xs actually flow rather well compared to the other, non-HO/roundport heads, but they have very big chambers giving very low compression.

You've got it, I was looking at the Edelbrock RPM heads. I haven't heard of KRE. I'll check them out.

Originally posted by PontiacMan:
As for the 2 bolt mains, you could get them splayed, but theres really no need unless you want to build a high-revving, high HP engine. 500 HP and < 5500 rpms will be no problem for 2 bolt mains.

I've always said that I want 400 rwhp so 500 fly wheel hp will get me pretty close figuring in 20% drivetrain loss(actually, I think it's a bit more, 24%?). Why 400 rwhp? I've been doing power to weight ratio comparisons with todays high performance cars. 400 rwhp should put me on top.

Can you explain to me what splaying mains is/does?

Thanks!
Larry S.

PontiacMan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2004 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PontiacManSend a Private Message to PontiacManDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by swanthog:
Can you explain to me what splaying mains is/does?

Sure, basically what you do is drill the block for 2 more bolts on each main. Then you pick up a set of caps that have provisions for the 2 extra bolts. 4 bolt splayed mains are stronger than normal 4 bolt mains because in a splayed setup, the outer bolts go into the block at an angle, rather than straight down. Good luck finding them for a Pontiac though, the only company I can think of that would carry them would be PAW Performance.

Since you have a 400, you have extra "beef" in your main area, as you have 3" mains opposed to my 3.25". Im running stock 2 bolt mains on my 455, and am putting about 400 HP to the ground, its really no big deal unless you want to rev high, but if you do that on a pontiac you'll find other problems much more quickly.
I run in the 12s with no traction (street tires) in a 3800 lb car. If you put 400 to the ground in a tiny fiero, you'll be in 11s easily!

I remember reading a big discussion on PSP about 2 bolt vs 4 bolt mains. 1/2 the people used 2 bolts, and the other used 4. Mind you these people are making enough HP to run 10-11s in 3500 lb cars. The people with 2 bolt mains never had any problems. IMO unless this is going to be a full-out drag car you'll be fine with 2 bolt mains.

Also, the KRE heads are excellent flowing aluminum heads, and they're Dports, not round ports like the edelbrock heads, so you can use stock manifolds/headers on them. I guess its not such a big deal for you since you'll be making your own headers for it anyways.

You can find out about them here -> http://www.krepower.com/dport.htm

I cant wait to see this build-up, maybe I'll be tempted to put a 400 in mine if yours works out...

------------------
1987 Fiero - 2.5L, auto tranny, stock
1970 Firebird - built 455+.030, lots 'o mods

[This message has been edited by PontiacMan (edited 04-05-2004).]

tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2004 04:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Direct Link to This Post
JBP has 4 bolt main caps for the 400.

------------------
1986 SE 350 V8

breakneck88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2004 12:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for breakneck88Send a Private Message to breakneck88Direct Link to This Post
Hey man!!!! allready ahaed of you I have my poncho 400 mounted to my cradle and under the car!!!!!!!! Its a horribly painstaking job that i wouldnt suggest to anyone to do it!!!! i built my motor and tranny and said, " i dont care how long it takes but i will get it in here!!!!! logitudinal with a th425, The pan mods are immense!!!! the starter needs to be the caddy starter mounted to the tranny!!!! no room for the pontiac starter on the original mountiac mouont... there is the long drive end of the tranny there now!!! so if you put the caddy starter on ther you run into a huge problem,,,,,,,the oil pump belongs were the starter now sits!!!! so external oil pump"$1000+ later you would now have an oil pump which i would say needed!!! the entire process has been like that!!!!!! I will try and get pics soon!!!

------------------
'86 GT poly suspension.
1974 pontiac 400 6x heads 2.11/ 1.66, ported,screw in studs,comp springs and retainers. 9.5 comp speed pro forged pistons, speed pro moly top rings. ARP inside, 214/224 dur w/ 265lift. TH425 redline/tci rebuild Sat. Night Special,with shift kit and 3:23 gears. its getting there, hopefully by spring!

v8fiero400

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2004 09:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for v8fiero400Click Here to visit v8fiero400's HomePageSend a Private Message to v8fiero400Direct Link to This Post
The pontiac v8 is like a big block chevy... BIG. With these engines you will need resized axles in order to make them fit transversly in a fiero... moving the engine-trans over to the left a few inches so it clears the right shock tower. Archie sells kits with resized axles for engines that require more clearance on the right side. Those same kits also come with the nessesary transmission mounts (since the original mount will no longer fit when the transmission is moved over)

[This message has been edited by v8fiero400 (edited 04-14-2004).]

swanthog

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2004 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for swanthogSend a Private Message to swanthogDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the Archie tip. At last I checked, he was still selling only SBC kits that didn't require moving the tranny and used stock axles. I'll have to go back out to his site to give it another look.

As for the starter, I don't understand what the concern is. A Pontiac starter is already on the side of the engine it needs to be on. Are you thinking of the issues for the starter when using a SBC?

Things are going slow right now with bills consuming most of my cash. I also still need to buy a few tools that I typically borrow from others before I can continue. For instance, I've got my eye on a 25 gallon air compressor and air tools. Another item I need is a good 2 ton engine hoist. If anyone is in my area(Northern Oregon) has any of these things for sale, I'm buying.

Thanks,
Larry S.

v8fiero400

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2004 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for v8fiero400Click Here to visit v8fiero400's HomePageSend a Private Message to v8fiero400Direct Link to This Post
Archie doesn't list kits with resized axles on his web site. I think he needs to update. However they are required for some engine swaps he does, like the LT1 swap. Ask all the LT1 guys and they will tell you that they have custom axles in order to clear the large LT1 water pump. Last I heard he said he has plenty of resized axles in stock.

By the way, I think it is a better idea to put the pontiac 400 in transversely because it is more compact that way. The fieros with the longitudal setups look like they are extremely ass heavy and then you have to go with the automatic only.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock