Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  L32 / 3800 Series III SC -- SECRETS EXPOSED!

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

L32 / 3800 Series III SC -- SECRETS EXPOSED! by Darth Fiero
Started on: 09-07-2004 12:48 AM
Replies: 6
Last post by: Darth Fiero on 09-13-2004 01:23 AM
Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2004 12:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post
No, my next swap doesn't involve a Fiero, BUT this information can be very useful to those of you who do have a Fiero and want a Series III 3800 SC without the L32 PCM hassles.

This swap I am currently working on involves installing a L32 into a 1997 Grand Prix. The Prix currently has the L67 which has already come out and preparations have begun for the L32 install. Before installing, the L32 will be getting the Intense Stage1x cam kit treatment amoung other things. Before I get too far, let me share with you what I have found out with this engine.

First off, the 3800 Series III Supercharged (L32) was released by GM in 2004. It features 260hp and 280tq (up 20hp over the L67) amoung other things. Physically, the block, heads, and valve covers are identical to the L67. All bolt-holes, mounting points, and assy serpentine belt drive appears to be identical as well.

The L32 has upgraded, powerdered-metal connecting rods making the rotating assembly both stronger and more reliable.

The L32 also has a returnless fuel rail system which means it only has a supply line; no fuel pressure regulator nor return line. This means you either need to use an external regulator/return line, or adapt the L67 fuel rails to the L32 (I will find out if this works by the end of the week). The L32 supposidly uses the same 36lb/hr injectors as the L67 (3rd party info) but the wiring connectors are different. These are still high-impedence injectors (12.6 ohms).

The 2004 L32 still has the same stamped-steel oil pan as the L67, but according to GM Media, for 2005 model year this has been changed to a cast-aluminum "structural" oil pan. Presumeably this cast pan will allow for a motor mount to be attached directly to it and might allow for the pan to bolt to the trans bellhousing as well. The L32 also has a redesigned A/C compressor which bolts directly to the block, without the need for extra brackets. This new compressor is NOT compatible with earlier A/C lines as the discharge and suction ports are vastly different sizes. The L32 block does appear to still be able to accept the L67 A/C compressor and brackets.

------------------
power corrupts. absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Custom Chip Burning | Fiero Engine Conversions | Turbocharging | www.gmtuners.com

[This message has been edited by Darth Fiero (edited 09-07-2004).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2004 01:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post
As I said earlier, the L32 still has the same serpentine belt drive setup as the earlier L67's. However the L32's alternator also has a 1-way roller clutch in the pulley that allows the alternator to overrun during tranny shifts. Presumably this helps extend serp belt life.

The L32 also sports the new/smaller style MAP sensor(s). However one of the map sensors did not have a vacuum line going to it...perhaps this is used as an active BARO sensor???

All-importantly, the fly-by-wire throttle body. It measures about 75mm in diameter and there is no TPS sensor, IAC motor, nor any possible way of hooking up a throttle cable...at least without major modification.

The SC inlet also measures about 3" (~75mm) and has a standard 4-bolt flange, which despite the coolant crossover ports, allows for a lot of room for adapters. There is an aftermarket GTP vendor that is currently selling LS1 and L67 throttle body adapters for use on the L32 in earlier cars.

I had a GEN-1 northstar throttle body which was very close to the same bolt pattern as the L32 but it does not have an IAC, rather a throttle kicker which will not work with an L67 computer.

For this swap we will be using a 2002 4T65-E HD trans. Appearantly, the 2003-up 65-E's will not work with the earlier computers because of "wiring differences" (again, 3rd party info here). According to ALLDATA, the internal components appear to be identical but pin locations on the electrical connectors are different. I will get some pics of SC and engine internals up by next week as I will be doing the cam upgrade sometime on wednesday.

[This message has been edited by Darth Fiero (edited 09-07-2004).]

mcaanda

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 129
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2004 01:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mcaandaSend a Private Message to mcaandaDirect Link to This Post
Great info Ryan, and the pics are even better.
Seems that the L32's are starting to end up in the hands of drivers that know not the power of the SC - which is great for the Fiero guys!

Are you going to be going w/ the OBD II on this one here, or are you going to be swapping over to the OBD I system on it?

--Allen

------------------

Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2004 01:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mcaanda:

Great info Ryan, and the pics are even better.
Seems that the L32's are starting to end up in the hands of drivers that know not the power of the SC - which is great for the Fiero guys!

Are you going to be going w/ the OBD II on this one here, or are you going to be swapping over to the OBD I system on it?

--Allen

Allen, we will be going with the 97 OBDII PCM on this one to simplify wiring, since the swap car is a 97. 1997 was the only year for the 3800 Series II with OBDI, 4T65-E, and no BCM interface. It does have interface for traction control thru the ABS module, but the 88 Park Ave swap I did using the 97 Bonneville powertrain did not flip out in the absence of ABS. In 1998, a BCM was used in place of the Pass-Key II module which means you will need to use either a BCM from the donor car, or have the PCM reflashed to omit it. 1996 was the only year for OBDII and 4T60-E trans, but like 1997 it did not have the BCM or integrated TCS.

Fiero STS

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2004 08:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero STSSend a Private Message to Fiero STSDirect Link to This Post
Try the 96-99 N* throttle body, it has the IAC motor and same bolt pattern as the earlier N*s
Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2004 01:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post
I just got done doing swapping out the valve springs on this engine in favor of some comp cams springs and titanium retainers and wanted to add some more info I learned about this engine. The casting date on the heads was April 2003. The block still had "3800 Series II" cast into it. Also, the L67 fuel rail bolts right up to the intake and clears the supercharger just fine.

So from everything I have observed, this Series III is identical to the Series II concerning the block and heads. The stock cam is coming out tomorrow in favor of an Intense Stage1x cam so I will check the lobe lift on the stock cam to see if it matches the Series II unit.

Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2004 01:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Darth Fiero:

The L32 has upgraded, powerdered-metal connecting rods making the rotating assembly both stronger and more reliable.

Just wanted to supply a little correction to this. The engine we got for this swap does have the larger blower on it and it is a Series III out of an 04 GTP. BUT, I dropped the pan to do the cam and found out it still had the Series II cast rods! Date codes printed in ink on the valve cover and block indicate this engine was released for use in 04/28/2003 which means it was a model year-end changeover unit. Who knew? Well just wanted to give everyone the heads-up on these very early series III engines.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock