Started on: 09-14-2004 11:52 PM
Replies: 14
Last post by: TennT on 09-16-2004 09:30 PM
connecticutFIERO

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2004 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for connecticutFIEROSend a Private Message to connecticutFIERODirect Link to This Post
I installed winALDL on my XP laptop. I tried using it today but it only populated the first line on the database, and the numbers were all bad readings. I was with Jncomutt and he says it works fine on his laptop running an older operating system. Is there any known problems with winALDL and XP? I really need to see the reasings to pinpoint my crappy rnning engine. On winALDL's site XP is listed as supported.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post09-15-2004 12:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
I've heard that under XP hardware serial ports get handled differently, and the way that WinALDL works interferes with that. The solution is going to be in how XP is configured to work with the serial port.

JazzMan

NY_FIERO

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2004 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NY_FIEROClick Here to visit NY_FIERO's HomePageSend a Private Message to NY_FIERODirect Link to This Post
on the serial port set the idel sensativity to high...
I do serial connections to XP for other apps and they ALL seem to need that setting modified..
if it works set me up with a plus(hhehehehe)
Dough19

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2004 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dough19Send a Private Message to Dough19Direct Link to This Post
I could not get my laptop with XP to work with the serial port. I tried every way I could think of to configure the serial port but it wouldn't work. So I bought a serial to usb cable and then it worked fine after that. Mark
connecticutFIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2004 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for connecticutFIEROSend a Private Message to connecticutFIERODirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dough19:

I could not get my laptop with XP to work with the serial port. I tried every way I could think of to configure the serial port but it wouldn't work. So I bought a serial to usb cable and then it worked fine after that. Mark

I just checked pricing for a USB to serial adapter. $35 at the local PC store, then I tried Radio Shack $42 It would be cheaper to just replace the two sensors I suspect.

I'll try reconfiguring my serial to high. Where is that setting located? DEvice Manager?

Jefrysuko

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2004 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JefrysukoSend a Private Message to JefrysukoDirect Link to This Post
I run WinALDL on my laptop with XP but use the USB to Serial adapter cable because I don't have a serial port.

I know that XP does something funny with serial ports where it needs a return loop to keep the port open. Unfortunately the simple cable that WinALDL requires is only one-way communication. There has to be a way to tell XP to leave the port open as serial ports have been used for one-way communication since before Windows even existed.

------------------

RGBaker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2004 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RGBakerSend a Private Message to RGBakerDirect Link to This Post
I too use a USB to serial adapter as my laptop has no serial ports -- bought it off the shelf for CDN $20 (about US $16) so maybe just shop for a lower priced adapter ...

GB

Jefrysuko

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2004 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JefrysukoSend a Private Message to JefrysukoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RGBaker:

I too use a USB to serial adapter as my laptop has no serial ports -- bought it off the shelf for CDN $20 (about US $16) so maybe just shop for a lower priced adapter ...

GB

Yeah, I forgot to mention that I have bought two of them now for only $25 each. The first one I got at Best Buy but they have since stopped carrying them. The second one I got at a local computer supply store.

------------------

Techbot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2004 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TechbotSend a Private Message to TechbotDirect Link to This Post
this is something i've been wanting to do...where can i find the cables and the ALDL program??

------------------
Techbot's Site

Current Project: '86 Fiero 4cyl - the ol IRON DUKE baby!

connecticutFIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2004 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for connecticutFIEROSend a Private Message to connecticutFIERODirect Link to This Post
I borrowed a win 95 laptop and it worked fine, now how do I remove the data from winALDL and analyze it?
RGBaker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2004 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RGBakerSend a Private Message to RGBakerDirect Link to This Post
You have to 'capture' the data while running WinALDL -- it creates a text file in the same folder where the exe lives. You can then open the text file in Excel or similar to see the values, or use the very handy ALDL View, which I think is linked from here somewhere.

Making sense of the data is another story -- I haven't found documentation yet to explain all the data, nor much to help you know what the readings should be ... a search of 'ALDL' in this forum will turn up some useful stuff. A Google turns up a little more -- anyone that wants to leap in and explain some of the vaguer flags ('drp occured' -- good or bad?) would be appreciated.

GB

PFF
System Bot
connecticutFIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2004 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for connecticutFIEROSend a Private Message to connecticutFIERODirect Link to This Post
OK I got the text file and opened it in Excel, so now I need to figure out what is reading bad and causing my problems.

STARTED NEW THREAD....

[This message has been edited by connecticutFIERO (edited 09-15-2004).]

Jefrysuko

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2004 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JefrysukoSend a Private Message to JefrysukoDirect Link to This Post
Didn't want to clutter up your other thread so I thought I would let you know that Cliff wrote a program called ALDLView which makes it much easier to analyse the data than using Excel.

You can download ALDLView here

------------------

connecticutFIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2004 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for connecticutFIEROSend a Private Message to connecticutFIERODirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jefrysuko:

Didn't want to clutter up your other thread so I thought I would let you know that Cliff wrote a program called ALDLView which makes it much easier to analyse the data than using Excel.

You can download ALDLView here

I got windows XP to work with win ALDL. I don't know why exactly but it started workin yesterday. Plus I did find aldlview, excellent program.

TennT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2004 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TennTSend a Private Message to TennTDirect Link to This Post
I was wondering if anyone had gone into the properties on the Icon and told XP to run in
Win 98 compatibility mode on ALDL. I haven't tried running this myself because I picked up
an OTC monitor cheap and didn't make a cable.
All I need to do is build or buy the cable to try this out, but haven't yet.

You right click on the icon on the desktop, click on properties and then go to the "compatibility" tab.

TG

[This message has been edited by TennT (edited 09-16-2004).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock