Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Allante intake on a 4.9...who's done it successfully???

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Allante intake on a 4.9...who's done it successfully??? by Dragon1
Started on: 09-18-2004 10:22 PM
Replies: 34
Last post by: Fieroking on 11-03-2004 02:55 AM
Dragon1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2004 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dragon1Send a Private Message to Dragon1Direct Link to This Post
Has anybody documented the install of the 4.5L Allante intake manifold onto a 4.9L yet???

Dragon1/Brian

[This message has been edited by Dragon1 (edited 09-18-2004).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
collinwestphal

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2004 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for collinwestphalSend a Private Message to collinwestphalDirect Link to This Post
Hi Brian,

I looked into finding some allante engines in our area, and I found 2 in Green Bay that he said were complete. But who knows.

91' 77K $385
92' 118K $305

Bay Auto Parts
1-800-229-2886

Dragon1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2004 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dragon1Send a Private Message to Dragon1Direct Link to This Post
Yeah, I saw those motors. Also cheaper ones, it's ok that they have alot of miles cause I don't care if the motor is junk I just want them for the intake and sensors.... for my 4.9L
But what I need is a documented swap that worked out good and made a performance difference, and what the person had to do to make it all work...

Dragon1/Brian

Fieroking

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2004 12:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierokingClick Here to visit Fieroking's HomePageSend a Private Message to FierokingDirect Link to This Post
I installed an Allante intake this summer. I had the car on the dyno before we broke the tranny. I had issues with the engine pulling all the way to 5500 rpm. The engine was running to rich. During the dyno testing the best that we got out of the engine was 194 Hp at the wheels with 295 Ft Pounds of torque. Unfortunaly on the way home I had a lost of oil pressure that killed the engine before I could get it shut down. I had to install a 4.5 (no 4.9's around right now). We took the 4.5 to the strip and my son pulled a 14 flat at 99.98 mph. Then the tranny broke. Still looking for a Getrag to replace the broken one. The car seemed to pull alot better and when I get it working again I hope to get better performance from it.

Joe Sokol
85 SE 5 Speed 2.8 V6
88 Formula/GT 5 Speed 4.5 Caddy with an Allante Intake

NotAFieroAnyLonger

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 255
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2004 02:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NotAFieroAnyLongerSend a Private Message to NotAFieroAnyLongerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dragon1:

Yeah, I saw those motors. Also cheaper ones, it's ok that they have alot of miles cause I don't care if the motor is junk I just want them for the intake and sensors.... for my 4.9L
But what I need is a documented swap that worked out good and made a performance difference, and what the person had to do to make it all work...

Dragon1/Brian

What sensors are needed for this swap..??
Has Rock done this swap also..??

Steve

------------------
----------------------------------
*Custom-Shaved HandBuilt!!*
*FIRST-EVER CHOPTOP-WIDEBODY GT!!*

(( 4.9L-V8-5speed)) swap soon
-----------------------------------------------

Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2004 06:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fieroking:

We took the 4.5 to the strip and my son pulled a 14 flat at 99.98 mph. Then the tranny broke. Still looking for a Getrag to replace the broken one.

I'd like to hear more about how your Getrag broke...

------------------
Turn the key and feel the engine shake the whole car with its lope; Plant the gas pedal and feel in your chest neither a shriek nor a wail but a bellowing roar; Lift and be pushed into the harness by compression braking that only comes from the biggest cylinders while listening to music of pops and gurgles. Know that you are driving and American V8. There are finer engines made, but none of them are this cool.

Luck, Fate and Destiny are words used by those who lack the courage to define their own future

ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 319
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2004 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:
I'd like to hear more about how your Getrag broke...

Getting worried yet? Come to the dark side of automatics....

..back to your regularly scheduled program.

Fieroking

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2004 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierokingClick Here to visit Fieroking's HomePageSend a Private Message to FierokingDirect Link to This Post
We were at the drags after the run, my son shifted to neutral and was coasting down. When he got to the turn out to return to the parking area he put the car back into 4th when he let the clutch out got grinding, clucking noises. Stopped the car was unable to select any gears. He got out to try and see what had happened. When he restarted the car he was able to select 1st. Drove back to the parking area trailing a line od tranny oil. There is no visible damage, we trailered thye car home. We checked the oil level at home and it is down a little bit and the car drives like nothing happened. I am looking for a replacement anyway as the tranny has over 155K on it, and I don't trust it. So if anyone has any ideas or a Getrag tranny they don't want let me know.

Joe Sokol

------------------
85 SE 2.8 - beater coupe-
86 SE 3.4 -in progress 3800 II SC -
88 Formula GT 4.9 5 speed beast
Enough parts outside for another one
-And a 3.4 push rod for sale in the mall Go and look-

Fieroking

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2004 12:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierokingClick Here to visit Fieroking's HomePageSend a Private Message to FierokingDirect Link to This Post

Fieroking

2148 posts
Member since Jun 2002
As far as what sensors are needed you need the 2 sensors that are on the Upper Intake. Air Temp, Mass Air Flow. The most critical part that you need is the fuel inlet line for the Allante Fuel Rail IT IS A VERY SPECIAL PIECE, and no one has one for sale cheap. I found a place in California that had one and they wanted $120.00 for it.So be sure and get both fuel line for your Allante Intake.

Joe Sokol

------------------

NotAFieroAnyLonger

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 255
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2004 01:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NotAFieroAnyLongerSend a Private Message to NotAFieroAnyLongerDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Joe!
+ for you!

------------------
----------------------------------
*Custom-Shaved HandBuilt!!*
*FIRST-EVER CHOPTOP-WIDEBODY GT!!*

(( 4.9L-V8-5speed)) swap soon
-----------------------------------------------

Dragon1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2004 07:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dragon1Send a Private Message to Dragon1Direct Link to This Post
Joe,
Any pics or notes on the install you would be willing to share....
I don't have an intake yet but am still looking.

Dragon1/Brian

PFF
System Bot
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2004 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ryan.hess:
Getting worried yet? Come to the dark side of automatics....

No, just gathering info.

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2004 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Will

14245 posts
Member since Jun 2000

We were at the drags after the run, my son shifted to neutral and was coasting down. When he got to the turn out to return to the parking area he put the car back into 4th when he let the clutch out got grinding, clucking noises. Stopped the car was unable to select any gears. He got out to try and see what had happened. When he restarted the car he was able to select 1st. Drove back to the parking area trailing a line od tranny oil. There is no visible damage, we trailered thye car home. We checked the oil level at home and it is down a little bit and the car drives like nothing happened. I am looking for a replacement anyway as the tranny has over 155K on it, and I don't trust it. So if anyone has any ideas or a Getrag tranny they don't want let me know.

Joe Sokol

Figured out where the leak is coming from?
Have you tried driving it since then? Does it work OK now, or can it only select 1st?

Every once in a great while, by transmission does something like that... It gets stuck in 4th and won't allow any other gears to be selected. That's an internal shift linkage problem that I haven't been able to figure out. After a bit of stirring the shifter it seems to fix itself, though.

------------------
Turn the key and feel the engine shake the whole car with its lope; Plant the gas pedal and feel in your chest neither a shriek nor a wail but a bellowing roar; Lift and be pushed into the harness by compression braking that only comes from the biggest cylinders while listening to music of pops and gurgles. Know that you are driving and American V8. There are finer engines made, but none of them are this cool.

Luck, Fate and Destiny are words used by those who lack the courage to define their own future

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 09-20-2004).]

Fieroking

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2004 01:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierokingClick Here to visit Fieroking's HomePageSend a Private Message to FierokingDirect Link to This Post
I have pictures of the installed intake. I'll post some tomorrow. The install is straight forward, just unbolt the old intake and install the Allante intake. You will have to reroute the wiring for the Sensors and the TPS, IAC. Your fuel lines, and vacume assist line. I changed back to the throttle cable that was originally in my 88 Formula it is perfect for this intake.

------------------

Fieroking

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2004 01:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierokingClick Here to visit Fieroking's HomePageSend a Private Message to FierokingDirect Link to This Post

Fieroking

2148 posts
Member since Jun 2002
For Will we have run it around the block. But now that you have mentioned it I will drive the car around a bit more to see it anything happens. Thanks for your input.

------------------

aaronrus

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
User Banned

Report this Post09-21-2004 02:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronrusSend a Private Message to aaronrusDirect Link to This Post

As far as what sensors are needed you need the 2 sensors that are on the Upper Intake. Air Temp, Mass Air Flow. The most critical part that you need is the fuel inlet line for the Allante Fuel Rail IT IS A VERY SPECIAL PIECE, and no one has one for sale cheap. I found a place in California that had one and they wanted $120.00 for it.So be sure and get both fuel line for your Allante Intake.

Joe Sokol

according to autozone's website, there is no MAF sensor for the allante, just a MAP sensor

Dragon1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2004 07:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dragon1Send a Private Message to Dragon1Direct Link to This Post
Pics would be great...

Dragon1/Brian

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2004 07:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post

Figured out where the leak is coming from?
Have you tried driving it since then? Does it work OK now, or can it only select 1st?

Every once in a great while, by transmission does something like that... It gets stuck in 4th and won't allow any other gears to be selected. That's an internal shift linkage problem that I haven't been able to figure out. After a bit of stirring the shifter it seems to fix itself, though.

if the tranny looks fine but was draining oil its probably got a crack somewhere..

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2004 05:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, probably, but without futher examination, what can be said either way?

------------------

opm2000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2004 06:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for opm2000Click Here to visit opm2000's HomePageSend a Private Message to opm2000Direct Link to This Post
Fieroking,
Did you use the Allante or 4.9 injectors? Any changes to fuel mapping, etc?

http://www.fasterfiero.com/caddysearch/showthread.php?threadid=4970

Davvid Breeze

------------------

Pantera Rebody Kits

Dragon1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2004 09:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dragon1Send a Private Message to Dragon1Direct Link to This Post
Can you change the intakes without removing the motor from the car???

Dragon1/Brian

PFF
System Bot
Fieroking

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2004 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierokingClick Here to visit Fieroking's HomePageSend a Private Message to FierokingDirect Link to This Post
The intake can be changed while it is in the car. However there is a fair amount of wiring and piping that needs to be moved to different locations. From my experience I would recommend that the cradle be removed from the car it would make all the changes so much easier. I tried both the 4.9 and the Allante injectors, we saw no real difference on the dyno the engine was still running rich. I hope to continue tuning this winter (If I can find a new 4.9 and a getrag tranny)

------------------

Dragon1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2004 08:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dragon1Send a Private Message to Dragon1Direct Link to This Post
Was there any ecm issues???
What do you do with the egr and wiring for it???

pics if you got them...

Dragon1/Brian

[This message has been edited by Dragon1 (edited 10-30-2004).]

Dragon1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2004 09:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dragon1Send a Private Message to Dragon1Direct Link to This Post
bump
Fieroking

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2004 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierokingClick Here to visit Fieroking's HomePageSend a Private Message to FierokingDirect Link to This Post
ok i tryed to post pics for my dad and they are to big i am going to try to make them smaller or if i can send them to some one to host them.
Bobby Amos Albrecht

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2004 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Bobby Amos AlbrechtSend a Private Message to Bobby Amos AlbrechtDirect Link to This Post
Hi I got the 4.9 with the Allante intake and it works great the only thing I found after all my hard work is it won't start if it has been turned off for about 10 minutes it will start but the starter will have to turn over for a while not sure why. I turn the key on to get fuel pump working first and it works alot better but I don't think this is a big problem just one I have not learnd how to fix it yet. Be glad to help up if I can, however I only know by doing bubbajoe helped a lot and I'm useing Ed Parks wiring harness wiht 4 speed caddy trans.

Hope this will help I love mine but would love to solve this problem with the starting thing if I do let it set all night and then just turn the key over it will start right up but if I let it set for about 10-20 minutes well I got to first let the fuel pump come on and turn off then trun over the engine. I did change the air inlet to the stock Fiero air cleaner I should take a picture of that it the right thing to do.

FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2004 12:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post
I'll be doing one over the winter, but thats just the begenning of my engine mods.

------------------

Bottle Fed 4.9 V8 5 Speed
L26 Power! I Love Pron!

Rhino88gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2004 05:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rhino88gtClick Here to visit Rhino88gt's HomePageSend a Private Message to Rhino88gtDirect Link to This Post
Hey Bobby,
Did all the wires match up right on Ed's harness or did you have to change some?
Dragon1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2004 07:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dragon1Send a Private Message to Dragon1Direct Link to This Post
Saw all your pictures on it, you did a great job...

Dragon1/Brian

lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2004 09:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasDirect Link to This Post
Hmmm... Isn't a 4.9 just a stroked 4.5? If so, would it be less of a pain, in some ways, to just yank the crank, rods and pistons out and replace with the 4.9 set and boom - instant 4.9 with Allante intake? Yeah yeah, I know...get a proper rebuild done...
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2004 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
Or you could just put the Allante intake on a 4.9 and save a LOT of trouble...
PFF
System Bot
lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2004 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasDirect Link to This Post

Or you could just put the Allante intake on a 4.9 and save a LOT of trouble...

I guess what I mean is: if you haven't done the 4.9 swap, why not buy a Allante motor and tear it down and freshen it up into a 4.9? Will Ed's kit work with an Allante motor?

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2004 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
Putting the Allante intake, and even Allante cylinder heads, if necessary, on a factory 4.9 short block is MUCH easier and MUCH cheaper than overhauling a 4.5 as a 4.9...
The engines aren't that expensive... buying two of them to build one is really not unreasonable, especially once you start pricing overhaul parts...

------------------
Turn the key and feel the engine shake the whole car with its lope; Plant the gas pedal and feel in your chest neither a shriek nor a wail but a bellowing roar; Lift and be pushed into the harness by compression braking that only comes from the biggest cylinders while listening to music of pops and gurgles. Know that you are driving an American V8. There are finer engines made, but none of them are this cool.

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 11-04-2004).]

Bobby Amos Albrecht

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2004 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Bobby Amos AlbrechtSend a Private Message to Bobby Amos AlbrechtDirect Link to This Post
To answer your question about the wiring harness Yes Ed's wiring harness works great you do have to leathin a few wires to get them to where they need to go.
Fieroking

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2004 02:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierokingClick Here to visit Fieroking's HomePageSend a Private Message to FierokingDirect Link to This Post
So dose any one want to host my pics of our intake on a 92 4.9 ??

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock