Started on: 09-22-2004 09:26 AM
Replies: 39
Last post by: turbo86se on 11-16-2004 02:55 PM
lowfierogt

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 247
User Banned

Report this Post09-22-2004 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lowfierogtClick Here to visit lowfierogt's HomePageSend a Private Message to lowfierogtDirect Link to This Post
First make sure you get the engine harness from the donor car. The best harness is from the 97-03 Pontiac Grandprix, most of the wiring is under the hood. Next make sure you have the Fiero's harness you will need some of it. TOOLS NEEDED, Wire stripers, Soldering gun, Solder, Heat shrink, Loom. Electric tape, propane torch for shrink. Start out by removing the looming and tape from your fiero harness and donor harness. Take and start connecting all the sensors and injectors. Make sure you remove all the rats’ nests of wires and try and clean up the mess. Make sure you have your wiring diagrams, you will need them. Take a lot of time and think about where everything goes and make sure you measure 2 times and cut once. It's a pain to have tons of splices. When you have the wiring laid out get your pcm connectors ready. You can start splicing in your pcm connections. I will finish the rest of the layout after I provide the pictures. Any Questions PM me. I hope to have a step by step with pictures. I think anyone can do this.

[This message has been edited by lowfierogt (edited 09-22-2004).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2004 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
Hmm... this could become a popular thread
wetpoop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2004 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wetpoopSend a Private Message to wetpoopDirect Link to This Post
It is good to have someone so knowledgeable so close.
lowfierogt

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-22-2004 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lowfierogtClick Here to visit lowfierogt's HomePageSend a Private Message to lowfierogtDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by wetpoop:

It is good to have someone so knowledgeable so close.

Hey, I got the 3800 running really nice... The rear injector wire was loose. We should go for a ride again this weekend.

wetpoop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2004 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wetpoopSend a Private Message to wetpoopDirect Link to This Post
Sounds good, maybe we will run into that blue suv again.
lowfierogt

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-22-2004 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lowfierogtClick Here to visit lowfierogt's HomePageSend a Private Message to lowfierogtDirect Link to This Post
GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2004 04:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
bump
Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2004 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
come on man - feed the junkies
kevin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2004 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kevinSend a Private Message to kevinDirect Link to This Post
Way cool! By the way, after figuring everything out, how about manufacturing these looms, all complete, to us salivating populous. This will open up a whole new opportunity for a new hungry Super Charged V-6 owner group.
Plus you can make a dime or two yourself. If the wiring is all figured out in a complete package, Fiero guys would be doing alot more of these swaps.

Sincerely,

Kevin J. Sullivan

wetpoop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2004 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wetpoopSend a Private Message to wetpoopDirect Link to This Post
The only problem with yor suggestion, is getting the connectors. for the 3800 motor. It might work better to send the original 3800 harness to Tony, and then he could make the alterations, and send it back. But buying all the connectors to make a custom harness would be extremely expensive.
1MohrFiero

Feedback score:    (37)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2004 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroDirect Link to This Post
Keep going we are all interested. Well, I am at least but I have a suggestion. You need a more comfortable chair. Thanks for doing this.

------------------

84 Sport Coupe
87 GT 5 Spd

[This message has been edited by 1MohrFiero (edited 10-05-2004).]

PFF
System Bot
fiero go fast

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2004 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero go fastSend a Private Message to fiero go fastDirect Link to This Post
I am very interested in this, bump to the top. I'm assuming you use the 3800 ecm? I've never been quite sure about how this part of the swap works... well for any swap for that matter.

Matt

gumert

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2004 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gumertSend a Private Message to gumertDirect Link to This Post
+ for you
wetpoop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2004 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wetpoopSend a Private Message to wetpoopDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fiero go fast:

I am very interested in this, bump to the top. I'm assuming you use the 3800 ecm? I've never been quite sure about how this part of the swap works... well for any swap for that matter.

Matt

Actually, the stock ecm is used. You just take the wires from the sensons of the 3800, and connect them to the stock connectors of the fiero ecm. It's actually quite simple, I am sure Tony will explain everything later and provide the schematics.
Funny thing is, is that most of the wiring for the sensors of the two engines are color coded the same.
I didn't want to hijack Tony's thread, just trying to help out.

[This message has been edited by wetpoop (edited 10-05-2004).]

lowfierogt

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-05-2004 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lowfierogtClick Here to visit lowfierogt's HomePageSend a Private Message to lowfierogtDirect Link to This Post

Actually, the stock ecm is used. You just take the wires from the sensons of the 3800, and connect them to the stock connectors of the fiero ecm. It's actually quite simple, I am sure Tony will explain everything later and provide the schematics.
Funny thing is, is that most of the wiring for the sensors of the two engines are color coded the same.

Very much so. I'm Done with the wiring. I will make up a diagram on what wires go where for the ODB1 swap. I have done ODB1 auto, 4speed, 5 speed and starting on an ODB2 5 speed swap. Most of the colors of the wires are the same, as wetpoop said. The hardest part is laying out the wires and cutting them to the right size.

lowfierogt

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-05-2004 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lowfierogtClick Here to visit lowfierogt's HomePageSend a Private Message to lowfierogtDirect Link to This Post

lowfierogt

1931 posts
Member since May 2001

Originally posted by Kohburn:

come on man - feed the junkies

Anyone can wire there own swap... The hard part is making exhaust and your own custom dog bone. I did get more done on this car, pics tomorrow. I'm a little buzzed up tonight for pictures.

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2004 09:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lowfierogt:

Anyone can wire there own swap... The hard part is making exhaust and your own custom dog bone. I did get more done on this car, pics tomorrow. I'm a little buzzed up tonight for pictures.

how about you help me wire and i help you fabricate stuff.. i have a mig welder, band saw, and a 4 axis CNC mill for aluminum parts.

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2004 09:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Actually, the stock ecm is used. You just take the wires from the sensons of the 3800, and connect them to the stock connectors of the fiero ecm...

Hmmm... If you're talking about an NA 3800 (as pictured above) I might be able to believe this. Maybe. The chip programming would have to be wildly different, though.
If it's a SC 3800, I don't believe it for a minute. Sorry. The only Fiero ECM that even supports a knock sensor is the 85 V6 ECM.
Even then, I'm pretty sure that it's not equipped to deal with a MAP under positive pressure. (>1 bar? Did I get the terminology right?)

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2004 10:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
actually the fiero ecm can handle a 2 bar when reprogrammed - but thats not relevant.. I think wetpoop meant that the stock 3800ecm is used
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2004 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kohburn:

actually the fiero ecm can handle a 2 bar when reprogrammed -

[EDIT] I had forgotten about that. See Kohburn's link in the following post.

...I think wetpoop meant that the stock 3800ecm is used

I wondered about that, but it didn't read that way to me. That sounds more reasonable. My apologies if I misunderstood.
I'll shut up now, and continue to watch. Thanks.

[lurk mode]

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 10-06-2004).]

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2004 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:
Interesting. With all the discussion I've seen, I never knew that.

http://www.turbochargerpower.com/turbo.htm

has information about it..

[This message has been edited by Kohburn (edited 10-06-2004).]

PFF
System Bot
fiero go fast

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2004 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero go fastSend a Private Message to fiero go fastDirect Link to This Post

hmmm interesting, thanks very much for the info. Let the thread continue!

Matt

revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2004 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
huh that is not a 3800SC....

Should read how to wire a 3800N/A

Still......Doing ok looks like!

------------------

98 3800SC, Getrag 5sp. only one in Austin Texas !

lowfierogt

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-06-2004 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lowfierogtClick Here to visit lowfierogt's HomePageSend a Private Message to lowfierogtDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by revin:

huh that is not a 3800SC....

Should read how to wire a 3800N/A

Still......Doing ok looks like!

The SC is only two more wires.

fieroX

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 372
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2004 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post
Man what a birdsnest. I think pictures with wires like that scares most people away from doing a 3800 swap. I have done two 1997 to 1995 wire harness conversions, and neither time did I use any of the fiero harness and neither time did I unravel the entire harness. I left everything in tact, and it makes it a lot easier to work around.

All you need is the power distribution block and the engine harness. The engine harness plugs into 1 of the 3 sections in the bottom of the power block. Then you splice the red white and blue connectors one wire at a time in place of the clear and blue obd 2 connectors. 99% of the pcm circuits are the same between the obd 1 and 2. (that means they have the same circuit number (wiring diagram) and wire color). Now, just splice the pink wire on the coil pack with a jumper that goes to C3 on the C500. This is the ignition wake up power wire. Now hook up the power that goes to the little junction block under the c500, to the power lead on the distribution block. This gives the wire harness and pcm power. Now hook up the neutral saftey switch like stock. Next hook up the fuel pump through the stock circuit at the c203 so you will have fuel. Now the engine will start and the car will run and drive, just wont have any gauges or anything.
Thats the easy way. Takes me about 6 hours start to finish, including splicing the pcm connectors.

birdpoo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2004 02:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for birdpooSend a Private Message to birdpooDirect Link to This Post
scary...
Kohburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2004 07:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroX:
Takes me about 6 hours start to finish, including splicing the pcm connectors.

that doesn't sound so bad... can't wait to get mine done this winter

oh.. will that differ for an 84? (i do have an 86 parts car i can pull wiring from if its a huge difference)

[This message has been edited by Kohburn (edited 10-08-2004).]

Fiero STS

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2004 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero STSSend a Private Message to Fiero STSDirect Link to This Post
Ahh, you learn very well Grasshopper.

------------------

Signature courtesy of MinnGreen.

ralpy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2004 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ralpySend a Private Message to ralpyDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for posting this thread.
Sent you a PM
4.9 PFI FIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2004 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 4.9 PFI FIEROSend a Private Message to 4.9 PFI FIERODirect Link to This Post
Attention 4.9 owners - Us builders need one of these threads.
wetpoop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2004 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wetpoopSend a Private Message to wetpoopDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroX:

Man what a birdsnest. I think pictures with wires like that scares most people away from doing a 3800 swap. I have done two 1997 to 1995 wire harness conversions, and neither time did I use any of the fiero harness and neither time did I unravel the entire harness. I left everything in tact, and it makes it a lot easier to work around.

All you need is the power distribution block and the engine harness. The engine harness plugs into 1 of the 3 sections in the bottom of the power block. Then you splice the red white and blue connectors one wire at a time in place of the clear and blue obd 2 connectors. 99% of the pcm circuits are the same between the obd 1 and 2. (that means they have the same circuit number (wiring diagram) and wire color). Now, just splice the pink wire on the coil pack with a jumper that goes to C3 on the C500. This is the ignition wake up power wire. Now hook up the power that goes to the little junction block under the c500, to the power lead on the distribution block. This gives the wire harness and pcm power. Now hook up the neutral saftey switch like stock. Next hook up the fuel pump through the stock circuit at the c203 so you will have fuel. Now the engine will start and the car will run and drive, just wont have any gauges or anything.
Thats the easy way. Takes me about 6 hours start to finish, including splicing the pcm connectors.

Not to criticize your or anyone else's work, but I have seen the 3800 swap done this way and it looks cheap and ugly in my opinion. Taking the time to splice the wiring and make the wiring and loom look presentable makes all the difference in the world when you open the deck. I have seen batterys and distribution blocks mounted in the trunk area and it just looks nasty, and hastily done. Again this is just my opinion.
I am sure Tony will update this thread with the final schematics shortly. Hold in there guys.

PFF
System Bot
John Boelte

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2004 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for John BoelteSend a Private Message to John BoelteDirect Link to This Post
TTT
sanderson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2004 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sandersonSend a Private Message to sandersonDirect Link to This Post
I found using a piece of plywood to simulate the firewall helped a lot when shortening all the wires on the donor car harness and tying into the Fiero C500 connector. I mounted the plywood on a dowel through the front cradle bushings so I could flip it up into firewall position or down for work access. The fuel pump and A/C relays can also be posiioned on the plywood to simulate their actual postion in the car. I did it on a Quad 4 but the concept is the same no matter what engine you're swapping in.

Riceburner98

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2004 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Riceburner98Send a Private Message to Riceburner98Direct Link to This Post
Heeey.... that's a good idea Sanderson! I just kind of "eye-balled" the area where I wanted my plug, and I definitely left too much slack.. I have an extra loop of loom at the firewall that looks like POOP in my opinion, some day I'll have to re-wire. The simple things are the most overlooked it seems! I'll keep that one in mind if I ever go insane and decide to do another swap...

------------------
Bob Williams
Multi-colored '86 Mutt, a work in progress! (3800SC installation almost done... I drove it!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAGGGGHHH!!! This sucker is FUUUUUUUUUUUN!!! :) )

Jake_2m4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2004 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_2m4Send a Private Message to Jake_2m4Direct Link to This Post
Bump for more info and pics. Hopefully.
lowfierogt

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-16-2004 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lowfierogtClick Here to visit lowfierogt's HomePageSend a Private Message to lowfierogtDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_2m4:

Bump for more info and pics. Hopefully.

Ok, This is the latest on the wiring and my last swap.....

My wiring harness was done and I could not get my injectors to fire. I thought my wiring was bad so I sent it to PBJ to rewire. Well when it cam back it still didn't run. I tapped on the injectors and now the car runs fine. Anyone can do there own wiring, make sure your injectors fire. Use a test light and or tap them... This set me back 4 weeks. My next swap is in the works.

PBJ

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2004 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
Hey, good to see you got it running, nothing like a little hammer to tap those injectors back free again. Also nice to hear your harness has worked out for you in the long run even though it has had a bit of a trip on its own

Another note if your car starts running rough again shortly after you get some miles on it I would have those injectors sent out and rebuilt or replaced.

Pete

------------------

revin

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2004 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PBJ:

Another note if your car starts running rough again shortly after you get some miles on it I would have those injectors sent out and rebuilt or replaced.
Pete

Yeah like Pete was saying, On any used engine that a swap is about to happen with the injectors should be cleaned if nothing else. that gas can make a injector cloged or worst. At the same time check the O-rings for wear or brittleness!

------------------

98 3800SC, Getrag 5sp. only one in Austin Texas and surrounding areas

lowfierogt

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-16-2004 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lowfierogtClick Here to visit lowfierogt's HomePageSend a Private Message to lowfierogtDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PBJ:

Hey, good to see you got it running, nothing like a little hammer to tap those injectors back free again. Also nice to hear your harness has worked out for you in the long run even though it has had a bit of a trip on its own

Pete

Thanks pete. Good work on the wiring.

turbo86se

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2004 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for turbo86seSend a Private Message to turbo86seDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lowfierogt:

My next swap is in the works.

Hey Tony, give me a call, I wanna hear about the new swap!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock