Blue Dingy Thingy/Chime Box/ w/e its called by NorthFloridaFiero
Started on: 01-30-2005 01:11 AM
Replies: 30
Last post by: BERKELUSA on 04-24-2005 01:05 AM
NorthFloridaFiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2005 01:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NorthFloridaFieroSend a Private Message to NorthFloridaFieroDirect Link to This Post
Ok i keep hearing about this "blue dingy thingy".
My friends 88 gt has it and i hear it fine.
I'm jealous now and I want to replace mine. I know of 3 2m4s in the junkyard, can I grab the chime box off these?
and where exactly is this blue dingy thingy.
I found a pic but I'm not sure on the area where it was taken.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post01-30-2005 01:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
It's under the passenger side dash. Just look up and you're see it. As far as I know they're all the same, all years.

JazzMan

NorthFloridaFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2005 01:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NorthFloridaFieroSend a Private Message to NorthFloridaFieroDirect Link to This Post
dumb me, I didnt notice the sub grill.
thanks jazz. I'm off the junkyard to find some.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 572
Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2005 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
The ones you find may need some repair work. See the chime box article in my cave.

Far as I know all the blue ones are interchangable. (There are at least two revisions of them.)

------------------
The only thing George Orwell got wrong was the year...

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top of every forum page...)

$Rich$

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 398
Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2005 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Direct Link to This Post
since this is a great pic.... which is the horn relay?
white square thingy?

ill bet a green" thingy " shows up photoshopped in this pic before the thread dies

------------------
Rich AIM: ONE FAST 2M8:
98 Black GTP 2 Dr
86se V6
Gold 86se 355 SBC,
92 BMW 325i

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2005 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by $Rich$:

since this is a great pic.... which is the horn relay?
white square thingy?

Yes-the white square thingie, is the horn relay, just like I told ya yesterday. Didn't believe me
and had to ask someone else-see how you are?

James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2005 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post
Get one from a newer vehicle,the chimes are much better compared to the older Buzzzzzzz.
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2005 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
Fiero chime boxes don't buzz.
$Rich$

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 398
Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2005 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

Yes-the white square thingie, is the horn relay, just like I told ya yesterday. Didn't believe me
and had to ask someone else-see how you are?

no thats not it... i belive ya... i just havent crawl'd my fat ass under the dash yet, and wasnt sure which one of the 2 i needed to be messing with

zMacK

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 79
Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2005 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zMacKSend a Private Message to zMacKDirect Link to This Post
Mine was screwing up a while back.
It was promptly thrown into nearest garbage can.
lol
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2005 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
I like having them working. I often lock the headlamps up in freezing weather. You can't always tell when the lights are on when they are like that. It is pretty easy to leave the lights on when the weather is grey.

You'd be amazed how many people will leave the hand brake on even with the light glowing. Several people here have had spouces and others do that. Depending on a few things the dash isn't al that visible to begin with at times. The chime is a little harder to ignore.

I did drop the socket down and release the seatbelt wire to disable the chime for that. I always wear belts but it is annoying to hear the thing when you are starting the car to warm up while you remove frost and so on. The SB light can't be disabled but at least it never chimes for that now.

The second version ones usually aren't very hard to fix when they start making random tones or not working. Most of the time it is a cracked solder joint as shown in my cave.

BTW... I'm told there is a Red chime box but it is missing some function. I've never seen or tested one of those. I'm not even sure what cars had them. Does anyone know? I'd like to see what is supposed to be different in them.

PFF
System Bot
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2005 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post
I have check into other GM cars, and they all seem to be missing something. F body cars are the closest, but are missing one of the pins. Not sure what it really affects however.

Tim

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2005 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
I was bored so I dug around in some manuals...

The ones in 87 Firebird are wired a little differently. Firebird wires the headlight alarm to the terminal Fiero uses for hand brake warning. 'bird doesn't wire handbrake at all.

The ones in 87 Cadilac Eldorado are wired completely different from the Fiero and 'bird ones.

I don't know how different they all are physically but there looks to be a bunch of versions electrically. I wouldn't recomend plugging them in at random or you may pop fuses or fry something.

Frizlefrak

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2005 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FrizlefrakSend a Private Message to FrizlefrakDirect Link to This Post
My car was missing the BDT when I bought it. I promptly replaced it. Yes, it's annoying, but that's the whole point. It's a whole lot less annoying than driving with the e-brake on and not realizing it, or leaving your lights on and wiping out your battery.

God Bless the Blue Dingy Thingy.

James Bond 007

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2005 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

Fiero chime boxes don't buzz.

They can if you want them to.

88 forumla

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-30-2005 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88 forumlaSend a Private Message to 88 forumlaDirect Link to This Post
my blue dingy thingy pisses me the f*** off!! it allways dings intermidetly going down the road when ever it wants, it dings all quiet when the doors are open, its so broken and anoying!!! its so suphisicated looking tho!! it looks like if i were to chuck it, then the whole car's electrical system wouldent work, im glad someone else had ths problem....this is one of the reasons the guy sold the car to me cheap lol he thought that the electrical was fried lmao all the way home!
jsmorter1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2005 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jsmorter1Send a Private Message to jsmorter1Direct Link to This Post
mine is set off by going down the road also. It only happens once in a while

------------------
virgin 88 4 Cyl

jetman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 273
Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2005 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetmanClick Here to visit jetman's HomePageSend a Private Message to jetmanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jsmorter1:

mine is set off by going down the road also. It only happens once in a while

Mine was doing that also, go to theogre's cave, he's got the easy fix in his site. Took all of 10 minutes to fix mine, just a little solder work is all, very easy.

------------------
jetman
Silver 86 SE 2M6 4-speed, with
"check wallet light"

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2005 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
Random chimes etc... Yes, In my cave. It is a really common problem with the later version box due to how it is made. It only takes a few minutes to fix in most cases. The one in my car had this problem as did the used one I got to replace it. I wouldn't be surprised if the defect rate wasn't very high on these. Fortunately the fix is usually pretty easy.
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2005 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
Can't believe nobody's posted it yet...

(Thanks Cliff)

My car didn't come with one either, and none of the junkyard cars I've checked have one. Oh and apparently the seatbelt light can be disabled, mine's never lit up?

------------------

1984 Fiero SE

Fastback 86

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 231
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2005 02:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

Can't believe nobody's posted it yet...

(Thanks Cliff)

My car didn't come with one either, and none of the junkyard cars I've checked have one. Oh and apparently the seatbelt light can be disabled, mine's never lit up?

The seat belt light is controlled by the BDT. No BDT, no seat belt light.

Me personally, I left the parking lights on a few times and locked the keys in the car a few times, so I went to the junkyard and yanked a BDT out of another Fiero and stuck it in mine. Then I found that it chimes when the E Brake is on. Didn't take long for that to drive me nuts, so I pulled out the wiring diagram, found out which wire going to the BDT set off the chime, and cut it (and sealed it up of course, wouldn't want anything arcing). Problem solved.

PFF
System Bot
Kento

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2005 09:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KentoSend a Private Message to KentoDirect Link to This Post
IF anyone needs on I have a Spare working one sitting on the shelf. I have two but one is allocated for mine. Hit up a yard that had 6 fieros and 3 had BDT so we snagged them all.

------------------
4.9 Caddy ON CRADLE in Garage! Car in Driveway! ACK!

http://home.cfl.rr.com/fierose
Central Florida Fieros
http://www.centralfloridafieros.org

Proud Member and founder of the DOWN SOUTH SUNNY WINTER PICK ON SNOW PEOPLE COALITION!

Oslo

Feedback score:    (53)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2005 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OsloClick Here to visit Oslo's HomePageSend a Private Message to OsloDirect Link to This Post
Now keep in mind, the most important thingy to keep functioning properly is your Fiero's "Green Smiling Thingy". I, myself am not completely positive what it's function is... but I've heard that if it is not working right...it could catch on fire.

SLagrec1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2005 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SLagrec1Send a Private Message to SLagrec1Direct Link to This Post
LOL, thanks for that!

------------------
Steve, 87 Fiero GT, Getrag w/Ultimate Shift Kit, Street Dreams drop spindles, Poly mounts, KYBs, Borla exhaust, Pioneer audio, DashScan

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2005 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
Oslo,

Pissed off Thingy is really why you get coolant on the passenger floor.... It likes the taste of heater core when angry.

Oslo

Feedback score:    (53)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2005 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OsloClick Here to visit Oslo's HomePageSend a Private Message to OsloDirect Link to This Post

HAHAHAHA

funny

Gecko

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2005 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GeckoSend a Private Message to GeckoDirect Link to This Post
When I recently bought a parts car I noticed it had the Blue Dingy Thingy. I grabbed it just because it was there, and when I got home noticed my 87GT didn't have one, so I plugged it in and noticed it seemed to work, however once I started the car it continued to ding non stop GRRRRRRRRR.

Now my E-Brake doesn't work because its missing the cables or something, and the seatbelts work but occasionally get extra loose or won't retract, then suddenly start working again later, and the alternator light comes on lightly, it has been for quite some time so. I tend to think if the alternator was going bad it woulda died by now yes?

Are either one of these issues causing the constant dinging?

------------------

87 Fiero GT Fastback
Remanufactured 3.1 w/ 13k miles on it now.
5 speed getrag with about 76k on it.

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2005 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
Most probably the e-brake is always "on".

------------------
Fiero Fiesta - July 24, 2005 - Calgary, Alberta <--- click this LINK

3.4L S/C 87 GT www.fierosound.com
2002/2003/2004 World of Wheels Winner &
Multiple IASCA Stereo Award Winner

ricreatr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2005 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ricreatrSend a Private Message to ricreatrDirect Link to This Post
never had a blue dingy thingy in any of my fieros. i have grey ones!

gm had a recall on 98 to maybe 02 SAFARI mini vans to replace the grey dingy thingy. it didnt stay on long enough for the seatbelt so uncle sam made em replace it.

THEY WORK JUST FINE IN BOTH MY FIEROS!

fierohoho

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2005 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierohohoSend a Private Message to fierohohoDirect Link to This Post
I found a Red Dingy Thingy once.

------------------

Where will the road take you today?

Some helpful links I've done
How to remove inner door panels, with pics.
How to remove outer door panels, with pics.
How to make rear coil-overs using factory struts, with pics.

BERKELUSA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2005 01:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BERKELUSAClick Here to visit BERKELUSA's HomePageSend a Private Message to BERKELUSADirect Link to This Post
My dingy thingy was light blue, But whats the green smiling thingy?? I think I have one of those too..

Your red dingy thingy looks cool.. Can you find me one?, Maybe ill paint mine purple and have a purple dingy thingy..

Yeah I hated it when you had the door open and the radio on and kept hearing bells.., Lotta angels got thier wings in my Fiero!

Its in the glove-box now.., I think the green smiling thingy is there too.., I keep hearing something scratching inside the box..

I think its missing the silver round thingy... (they were having sex when I yanked him out) So now hes really mad !

Rob

[This message has been edited by BERKELUSA (edited 04-24-2005).]

PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock