Series II 3800SC alternator belt routing by Project Fiero
Started on: 09-23-2005 10:50 PM
Replies: 11
Last post by: revin on 09-26-2005 05:18 PM
Project Fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2005 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Project FieroSend a Private Message to Project FieroDirect Link to This Post
Has anyone done the series II SC 3800 swap without using power steering and A/C? If so, are there any pictures?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
topcat

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2005 07:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post
Almost all of the Fiero conversions will have the PS delete... simply because the Fiero does not have a power steering rack. I think there is one person on the forum with the power steering hooked up. I used a low mont alt bracket to delete my PS and to place the alt in the stock Fiero location. The setup I have came from FastFiero. I am running the A/C compressor, but there are some that delete it and places the Alt in that position. There are a lot of different combos.

Which engine do you have? I think the Buick and Pontiac SC3800II use different pulley setups, so that will drive the way you set your's up

[This message has been edited by topcat (edited 09-24-2005).]

Deabionni

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2005 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DeabionniSend a Private Message to DeabionniDirect Link to This Post
You should check out this thread. There's a lot of information for the 3800SC swap, and what it takes to accomplish it. It also shows how to mount the alternator where the A/C compressor was.

FIEROFLYER

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 180
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2005 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYERDirect Link to This Post
I have an idler pulley I built to eliminate the ps pump. For the alternator I use older 3.8 A/C brackets that are also a mount and mount the alternator there as well as use it as an engine mount. I have some pictures but can never get them posted on here. Dan
Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2005 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
If You email the pictures, I can post em for ya...
Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2005 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
I got the pics...

FIEROFLYER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2005 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYERDirect Link to This Post
The 3.8 A/C mount has to be trimmed down to fit the series II block and the idler is just a piece of 1/4" plate with 1"x1" square stock welded off it and a nut for the idler bolt welded into it. I use 1/4" plate welded to the cradle and bolted to the mount. On the other side of the engine I use a mount off a 93 3.8l regal that bolts to the snout of the tranny where the support bracket to the engine is. I also weld 1/4 plate to the frame and bolt to the mount at this point. Hope this helps. Dan
Project Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2005 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Project FieroSend a Private Message to Project FieroDirect Link to This Post
Hey Fieroflyer

I think I going to use your set up (alternator in place of compressor). I was just wondering if your idler pulley was necessary , the one in place of the power steering pump. Wouldn't your set up work better without the idler allowing more wrap around the balancer?

FIEROFLYER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2005 07:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYERDirect Link to This Post
The idler is used so the belt clears the plastic stud beside the balancer that is used to hold a plastic plate for the sensor underneath in place. If you look closely at the picture you can see it sticking out on the left side of the balancer. I retain the upper heater hose adapter/ alternator mount for a dog bone bracket that I build. I will be doing another 3800SC Fiero swap soon on which I will take better and more pictures. Dan
revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2005 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
You don't have enough "wrap" around the water pump. not good.

I did not use any tensioner pulley on my alt. ran it straight to the rer slot on the crank. everything else is on the outer slot on the crank pulley

FIEROFLYER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2005 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYERDirect Link to This Post
Well so far there are 9 of these 3800SC Fiero's on the road that I built and all of them work just fine no slippage problems. Good thing about the way I do it is you can use wreckers parts and not waste alot of money buying some one elses mounts. Dan
PFF
System Bot
revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2005 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
good point. (p.s. I'm NOT flamming your gig )

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock