refinished GT wheels PICS by Mike OHIO
Started on: 10-16-2005 11:57 PM
Replies: 8
Last post by: Mike OHIO on 10-22-2005 11:46 PM
Mike OHIO

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2005 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike OHIOSend a Private Message to Mike OHIODirect Link to This Post
I am in the process of refinishing my wheels with the help of Steve Hamilton's (Raydar) write up on the main page. all that is left to do is polish the lip and center cap out and clear everything. this is a very tedious process. i have over 10 hours in this one wheel alone. im sure i will get that time down by the time i finish the 4th wheel.

i used Dupli Color's Graphite Mettalic Wheel paint and their Wheel clear will be shot on everything once i polish the lip and center cap.

if there is any interest, i may be up to doing a few sets for other people for a price. would take atleast a month, as i can only work on them on the weekends.

keep in mind these have NOT been polished or cleared yet. i also need to find a way to duplicate the fiero logo in the center caps. i think i have an answer for that.

mike
87 GT

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
NorthFloridaFiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2005 01:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NorthFloridaFieroSend a Private Message to NorthFloridaFieroDirect Link to This Post
looks awesome, If i can get a spare set id love to try that out.
nice job cant wait to see it complete
FieroGT42

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2005 02:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT42Send a Private Message to FieroGT42Direct Link to This Post
Awesome. That would be a total baddening of the assness.
Phaeton

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2005 02:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhaetonSend a Private Message to PhaetonDirect Link to This Post
What he said, yeah!
Mike OHIO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2005 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike OHIOSend a Private Message to Mike OHIODirect Link to This Post
i polished the lip today with 3M's Perfect-It II Rubbing Compund. gave me a perfect finish. this rubbing compund wasnt too harsh for the alluminum.

I also refinished my center caps with Rodney Dickman's refinishing tool that he has made. he has just a few out for some research and development. this thing is awesome! definetly a must have. when it hits the market, i would suggest buying one. it is the only way your going to duplicate the circular machine marks that make that "X" reflection. it may seem like a stupid small detail, but they center caps just dont look right sanded smooth. i had mine sanded smooth previous to working with Rodney's refinishing tool, so everything you see on that cap is the work on the refinishing tool. duplicated the factory marks perfectly!

Before:

After:

the paint i used is Dupli-Colors Wheel paint. it is supposed to be resistant to brake dust and cleaning chemicals. the same deal with the clear coat of the same line. hopefully they are right.

i still have to clear coat everything. and apply my pegasus emblems i got off of ebay to the center caps. they havnt came in the mail yet.

[This message has been edited by Mike OHIO (edited 10-22-2005).]

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2005 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
WOW!
This is the first time I've seen this post while I was actually at home and could see the pics in any kind of detail.
Your wheels started off in waaay worse condition then mine were.

They look great! Nice job!

Are your hands still sore as hell?

------------------
Raydar
88 3.4 coupe...........

Praise the Lowered!
Read Nealz Nuze!

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 10-22-2005).]

Mike OHIO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2005 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike OHIOSend a Private Message to Mike OHIODirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

WOW!
This is the first time I've seen this post while I was actually at home and could see the pics in any kind of detail.
Your wheels started off in waaay worse condition then mine were.

They look great! Nice job!

Are your hands still sore as hell?

my hands are killing me! and i polished them by hand lol. my dremel tool wasnt variable speed, and was way too fast forthe polishing. so i had to polish it out by hand.

my wheels were a huge sore spot. didnt matter how clean i got them, they always looked dirty. brake dust stained onto the wheel and the clear coating lifting and blistering.

i couldnt have done this without your write-up. Thanks!

mike

[This message has been edited by Mike OHIO (edited 10-22-2005).]

smartaxel

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2005 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for smartaxelClick Here to visit smartaxel's HomePageSend a Private Message to smartaxelDirect Link to This Post
Those look NICE.. Come re-finish mine!!!!!
Mike OHIO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2005 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike OHIOSend a Private Message to Mike OHIODirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by smartaxel:

Those look NICE.. Come re-finish mine!!!!!

for a small fee, anything is possible.

mike

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock