flairs on the brake line....bubble or double by dillon11
Started on: 11-05-2005 01:17 PM
Replies: 17
Last post by: jelly2m8 on 11-06-2005 04:01 PM
dillon11

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2005 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dillon11Send a Private Message to dillon11Direct Link to This Post
which one is it
thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2005 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
double.
only a very few euro cars use bubble flare
EDIT. ignore me, i dont know what i'm talking about

[This message has been edited by buddycraigg (edited 11-05-2005).]

jelly2m8

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 243
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2005 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jelly2m8Send a Private Message to jelly2m8Direct Link to This Post
Fiero's use the Convex / bubble flare.

I think Buddy is confused just a lil bit, it 's not the standard double flare.

buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2005 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
i must be confused...

as far as i know

this is a double flare.

this is a bubble flare

Gordo

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2005 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GordoSend a Private Message to GordoDirect Link to This Post
You are not confused Buddy but every Fiero that I have ever worked on has metric "Bubble" flare fittings. At least on the entire brake system (don't remember what's on the clutch lines. Not double flare fittings.

[This message has been edited by Gordo (edited 11-05-2005).]

dillon11

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2005 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dillon11Send a Private Message to dillon11Direct Link to This Post
can i convert it all over to double.....cus i just bouught a double flair kit and all new fitings
spark1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2005 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Direct Link to This Post
See this thread.

There are adapters available.

buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2005 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gordo:

You are not confused Buddy but every Fiero that I have ever worked on has metric "Bubble" flare fittings. At least on the entire brake system (don't remember what's on the clutch lines. Not double flare fittings.

that's crazy, i just replaced all 4 brake hoses on an 88 tuesday.
i'm going out to look at the old hoses.

buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2005 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post

buddycraigg

13606 posts
Member since Jul 2002

You are not confused Buddy but every Fiero that I have ever worked on has metric "Bubble" flare fittings.

well you got me.
the 88 brake hoses do have the female fittings to accept a bubble flare.

At least on the entire brake system

i also just check an 84 master cylinder, and it has fittings for a double flare.

so where did they make the change-over at?

[This message has been edited by buddycraigg (edited 11-05-2005).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 572
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2005 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
The fittings are apparently mixed far as I know. Some are common Double Flair and others are the bubble thing.

Worse... There are SAE and DIN bubbles and they are not interchangable. I don't remember which bubble version Fiero uses.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurasic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top of every forum page...)

sanderson

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2005 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sandersonSend a Private Message to sandersonDirect Link to This Post
The fittings between the master cylinder and proportioning valve are SAE and the rest are metric.

There are many people here on PFF who will say we can use an SAE double flare or a single flare to fab your own lines and re-use the metric fittings. As you can see from Theogre's drawings you may be able to jam them together and make them hold initially. But look to me like you will crease the tubing creating a weak point in the flare and risk a catastrophic failure at some point. You can buy a whole set of pre-bent brake lines for about $150. That's what I ended up doing on my '84 which spent it's first 10 years in Minusota and saw enough salt to severely pit the lines.

Proper Metric flaring tools are available but I've never come across them for less than $150.

[This message has been edited by sanderson (edited 11-05-2005).]

PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2005 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
Yes, using the wrong flair/bubble will cause a major safety problem. And exactly like said... It might seal short term, even long term, but you have a seriously stressed area that can potentially blow apart at any time with no warning.

Sort of as trivia... there are even differant angles for the standard and double flair. You don't usually see the other angle on cars. As I remember it's common on aircraft and AN fittings used with things like aftermarket fuel system parts. (I forget how many degrees the AN flair is.)

Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2005 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

(I forget how many degrees the AN flair is.)

Most (but not all) AN fittings are 37 degrees.

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 11-05-2005).]

spark1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2005 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Direct Link to This Post

Late model vehicles can be any possible combination of nuts and flares. For example a Ford Taurus can have 4 different nuts on the ends of the two rear brake lines!

From previous thread.

Gordo

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2005 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GordoSend a Private Message to GordoDirect Link to This Post
When I replaced the brake lines on my 88 coupe, I was able to buy standard straight lengths with the correct bubble flares and fittings installed from my local NAPA store
Lambo nut

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2005 11:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutDirect Link to This Post
Replaced one of mine, got the line at AutoZone.

Kevin

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2005 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
The thing to remember with brake lines is that in normal operation you're dealing with 300-500 PSIG. You can however reach pressures over 1000 PSIG at full pressure during things like a panic stop. If you have any weak lines/fittings, that is likely when they will let go. Tho as I said they can go at any time with no warning.

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 11-06-2005).]

jelly2m8

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 243
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2005 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jelly2m8Send a Private Message to jelly2m8Direct Link to This Post
I purchased my ISO bubble flaring tool from SPX OTC tools. It was relatively cheap, less than 50 bux canuk.

Do a search on ebay for ISO bubble flaring tool, you'll find them for around 20 bux.

http://search.ebay.com/iso-flaring-tool_W0QQfnuZ1

[This message has been edited by jelly2m8 (edited 11-06-2005).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock