4 spd manual transmission fluid? by Madess
Started on: 10-18-2005 08:49 AM
Replies: 14
Last post by: wanobi on 01-24-2006 09:46 PM
Madess

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2005 08:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MadessSend a Private Message to MadessDirect Link to This Post
I have v6 spd and it seems to shift, well kind of stiff. the clutch does completely digengage, but it just seems like I am forcing it into gear. Will said that you can use syncromesh fluid in the Getrag and that helps it shift a lot better, will that help the 4 speed?

thanks
Matt

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2005 08:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
You can use it and it will help.
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2005 08:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
yes - good stuff
also - freeing up the shifter itself & the shifter cables helps
goatnipples2002

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 112
Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2005 09:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for goatnipples2002Click Here to visit goatnipples2002's HomePageSend a Private Message to goatnipples2002Direct Link to This Post
The general consensus is that you can use syncromesh as option 1 or synthetic 5w30 as a cheaper option 2.
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2005 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
I used the 5w30 but added a cup of Lucas. It seems to work well, but Syncromesh may be slightly better.

Arn

Jax184

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2005 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jax184Click Here to visit Jax184's HomePageSend a Private Message to Jax184Direct Link to This Post
Go with the synchromesh if you can. It really is the best stuff for the Fiero's transmission.
Also I suspect your problem is your cables binding due to age, heat and rather poor placement.
My 4 speed can be shifted at the tranmission with the cables off rather easily, but from the shifter it's a lot of work.
Just dont wanna spend the money...
JazzMan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post10-18-2005 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
The original 4spds specified motor oil, but GM later revised that specification so that all the Fiero manual trannies use Syncromesh regardless of what it originally came with. Regarding your shifting, with the engine running and the car stopped, slip the shifter into any gear, then immediately shift into reverse. Does it grind or clunk when you shift into reverse? With it in reverse and the engine idling and the car still, you should be able to shift in and out of reverse repeatedly without any grinding or clunking. If you get grinding or clunking then your clutch isn't releasing completely.

JazzMan

goatnipples2002

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 112
Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2005 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for goatnipples2002Click Here to visit goatnipples2002's HomePageSend a Private Message to goatnipples2002Direct Link to This Post
Is gear lube bad? I just bought some valvoline gear lube.
JazzMan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post10-18-2005 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by goatnipples2002:

Is gear lube bad? I just bought some valvoline gear lube.

Yes, you only want to use Syncromesh. You can get it under the Pennzoil or Valvoline brand at AutoZone.

JazzMan

Fiero_Adam

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2006 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero_AdamSend a Private Message to Fiero_AdamDirect Link to This Post
I've never changed the fluid in my Fiero. Do you just pull the plug, let it all drain out, put the plug in, and fill it back up? Mine is a 4 spd V6 if that makes a difference.
Semi-crazy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2006 02:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Semi-crazySend a Private Message to Semi-crazyDirect Link to This Post
The bulletin is only for the 5-speed (mg1,mg2), but I would recommend the Synchromesh in any of the manual trannies...

M/T - Proper Service Fluid
Bulletin Number: 88-7-17
Reference Number: 877208
Publish Date: 2/88
PROPER SERVICE FLUID FOR MANUAL TRANSAXLE/TRANSMISSION 1986 1/2 -Subject: 1988 HM-282 (MG1 AND MG2) 1988 HM-290 (MC0 AND MG5) HM-282 - ALL HM-290 - ALL
Models Affected:
6000, SUNBIRD, GRAND AM, FIERO AND GRAND PRIX MODELS
BULLETIN COVERS:

Proper service fluid for the HM-282 and HM-290 is important to prevent gear clash and/or increased shift effort.
FIGURE 1 - HM-282 TRANSAXLE IDENTIFICATION INFORMATION RPO MG1/MG2

FIGURE 2 - HM-290 TRANSMISSION IDENTIFICATION INFORMATION RPO MCO/MG5

DATE OF PRODUCTION CHANGE: (Figures 1 and 2)

For the 1988 model year the HM-282 5-speed manual transaxle is factory filled with synchromesh transmission fluid (STF). This new fluid aids in reducing cold shift effort in this application.

SERVICE ACTION:

Reference chart below for the proper service fluid.NOTE: 1) It is permissible and preferred to use synchromesh transmission fluid (STF) in past model HM-282 transaxles. STF will aid in reducing cold shift effort.

2) Synchromesh transmission fluid (STF) can be mixed with manual transmission fluid, but as the portion of manual transmission fluid increases, so does the shift effort.

IMPORTANT: DO NOT REFILL THE HM-282 OR HM-290 WITH ENGINE OIL OR AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID. THESE HAVE DIFFERENT FRICTION COEFFICIENTS AND DO NOT WORK WELL WITH THE SYNCHRONIZERS, CAUSING GEAR CLASH AND/OR INCREASED SHIFT EFFORT.

[This message has been edited by Semi-crazy (edited 01-17-2006).]

PFF
System Bot
foxxman25

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2006 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for foxxman25Send a Private Message to foxxman25Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero_Adam:

I've never changed the fluid in my Fiero. Do you just pull the plug, let it all drain out, put the plug in, and fill it back up? Mine is a 4 spd V6 if that makes a difference.

That all I did. You fill it where the speed sensor goes into the tranny. When you pull out the speed sensor be careful that the gear doesn't fall off (never has on mine but people always mention it *shrug*).

------------------
Low 14 sec 99 Pontiac GTP, 3.2L V6 4 sp 86 Fiero GT

[This message has been edited by foxxman25 (edited 01-17-2006).]

Fastback 86

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 231
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2006 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post
The speed sensor also acts as the dipstick on the 4spd, it has full and add (or something like that) written on it.
Fiero_Adam

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2006 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero_AdamSend a Private Message to Fiero_AdamDirect Link to This Post
The VSS on mine just has two lines that are real close together. Is the fluid suppose to be in between the two lines?
wanobi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2006 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wanobiSend a Private Message to wanobiDirect Link to This Post
ideally yes, the fluid should be between the 2 lines.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock