Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Solstice Seats in the Fiero, How to.....

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Solstice Seats in the Fiero, How to..... by jstricker
Started on: 02-13-2006 08:41 PM
Replies: 18
Last post by: mmiller on 05-04-2006 10:23 AM
jstricker

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 370
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2006 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post
Here's the how to for mounting the Solstice seats.

It's really not a big deal and if you like this style of seat, you're not going to find any leather seats cheaper than these. I will warn you that when done, you sit about 1" higher than stock. If you want, you can use Archies method to lower the seats a bit that he uses in the chop tops, but we left them alone.

First, you want to remove the tracks from your Fiero seats. There are two bolts that require a 13mm socket on each track that secure them to the seat base.

You then have to take off the seat tracks from the Solstice as they won't work. The come off with two bolts on each track, on the side of the seat base and you have to disconnect the wire that goes to the seat belt latch that operates the warning buzzer.

Once that is off, if you measure carefully, you'll notice that the center to center on the Fiero track mounting holes is just to the area that you will be right on the edge of the Solstice base so you need to make some adapter straps to go across the Solstice bases. We used 1/4" X 1.5" strap and you need about 15 " per strap, so 5 feet should about do it. By using the 1.5" wide strap, you will be able to drill two sets of holes on each side, one set to mount to the Seat bases, the other to mount to the Fiero Tracks. Mounted on the seats, this is what you have.

You can see how the holes are staggered slightly. Mount the rear adapter plate as far back as you can go with it and then, using the dimensions from the Fiero seat tracks, mount the front ones so the bolt holes will line up. We used 5/16" grade 5 bolts to mount the straps to the seats and the tracks to the straps.

John Stricker

[This message has been edited by jstricker (edited 02-13-2006).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jstricker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2006 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post
Continued....................

Once the tracks are mounted to the base, give them a test fit in the car to make sure you didn't hose up a measurement.

Mounted in place on the passenger side.

Plenty of clearance behind the seat back and firewall area

One of the bugaboos in other seats is parking brake handle clearance and thankfully, there is plenty with the Solstice Seats.

If you're sticking with the Fiero belts then that's all there is (although we have them back out and apart to paint the tracks and base plates). If you're using the Solstice belts you'll find that they will NOT buckle into the Fiero latches. The Solstice buckles mount to the original seat tracks, which we no longer have, and they are shorter than the Fiero buckles so we had to lengthen them 3" and bend them to match the Fiero latches. When finished, we covered the welded area with Heat Shrink to give it a finished look pretty much like factory.

We lengthened them with a 3" piece of 1" strap that is heavier than the factory mounts on the Fiero or the Solstice and then covered the lengthened area with 1" heat shrink tube.

That's pretty much all there is to it. I thought about putting down dimensions, etc., but to be honest, it's pretty straightforward if you just do one seat at a time and measure off the old Fiero seats.

The seats are tall, as you can see in the picture. I don't know what clearance issues you'd have in a stock Fiero. I'm certain you'd have issues with a chop top car. I gave $450 for the seat and belts from a salvage yard. They're not fancy, no power adjust, no electric heat, but that was really what I wanted if I couldn't have everything in them so they'll work out pretty well. They are built MUCH heavier than the Fiero seats as far as the metal used in the base and how it's constructed.

John Stricker

Edited both posts to fix some images

[This message has been edited by jstricker (edited 02-13-2006).]

JCW

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2006 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCWSend a Private Message to JCWDirect Link to This Post
Great work... An GM engineer buddy of mine had a prototype Solstice seat in his living room a few months back. That seat was soooo comfortable. I am glad you were able to make it work!
RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2006 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
You forgot to say where you got them

------------------

1984 Fiero SE

jstricker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2006 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post
They're available. Look them up on Car-Part.Com. Last time I looked there were about a dozen sets on there and most of them around $400, just like what I paid for them.

John Stricker

PS: I got mine HERE

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

You forgot to say where you got them

jstricker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2006 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post

jstricker

12956 posts
Member since Apr 2002
They are REALLY comfortable, although if this car weren't a roadster I'd most likely drop the seats with Archies method of lowering them. The choice of colors in the Solstice is limited, though, but I wanted Black anyway so that wasn't a problem for me. And the price for all new seats is about 60% of a set of Mr. Mike's seat covers. If I could find a set in tan to match the rest of the Finale interior, I might be temped to swap them out.

John Stricker

Originally posted by JCW:

Great work... An GM engineer buddy of mine had a prototype Solstice seat in his living room a few months back. That seat was soooo comfortable. I am glad you were able to make it work!

Fiero_Adam

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2006 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero_AdamSend a Private Message to Fiero_AdamDirect Link to This Post
They do look really good, John! I like them. Thanks for the pictures. I'll have to look into getting me a pair of those.

------------------

avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2006 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
I would have used counter sunk hex head bolts to attach the adapter plates to the new seat. It looks like the Fiero rails are crooked because of your bolt choice. You can see how I did my aftermarket seat installation here: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-000001/HTML/20031110-2-036615.html the countersunk bolts are in the last set of pictures and sit flush with the adapter plate. I also went in a different direction than you did. Either way will work.

[This message has been edited by avengador1 (edited 02-14-2006).]

jstricker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2006 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post
They're crooked because they aren't tight in the picture. You can see Mike just starting the nut on the one bolt. There are fender washers beneath the track and above the rail which are as wide as the tracks so when they're tight, they're straight. Countersund would work and give you another 1/4" if height is a problem and in fact, we had planned to use them when the seats go back together after painting the tracks.

John Stricker

Originally posted by avengador1:

I would have used counter sunk hex head bolts to attach the adapter plates to the new seat. It looks like the Fiero rails are crooked because of your bolt choice. You can see how I did my aftermarket seat installation here: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-000001/HTML/20031110-2-036615.html the countersunk bolts are in the last set of pictures and sit flush with the adapter plate. I also went in a different direction than you did. Either way will work.

Fiero_Adam

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2006 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero_AdamSend a Private Message to Fiero_AdamDirect Link to This Post
John, I sent you a pm.
jstricker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2006 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post
Right back at you Adam.

John Stricker

Originally posted by Fiero_Adam:

John, I sent you a pm.

PFF
System Bot
Saxman

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2006 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for putting this thread up!
ThatRickGuy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2006 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ThatRickGuyClick Here to visit ThatRickGuy's HomePageSend a Private Message to ThatRickGuyDirect Link to This Post
What's Archie's method for lowering seats? I have a set of Corbeau GTSs that are a dream to ride in, but sit almost 2" higher than stock.

-Rick
pavo_roddy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2006 02:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pavo_roddySend a Private Message to pavo_roddyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ThatRickGuy:

What's Archie's method for lowering seats? I have a set of Corbeau GTSs that are a dream to ride in, but sit almost 2" higher than stock.

-Rick

Hi all,

I've been wondering the same thing for awhile now too..........Bump in the night.....!!

------------------
Me, I sell engines, the cars are for free, I need something to crate the engines in....
Enzo Ferrari....

NJ85fieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2006 08:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NJ85fieroGTSend a Private Message to NJ85fieroGTDirect Link to This Post
I am curious to know, after you fixed your brackets, how much higher is your head than in the stock seats. I only ask because I am about 6' 2" and I know I'm pretty close up top already.

Thanks

------------------
Jesse
1985 Fiero GT
http://www.year2032.com/fiero/

Saxman

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2006 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NJ85fieroGT:

I am curious to know, after you fixed your brackets, how much higher is your head than in the stock seats. I only ask because I am about 6' 2" and I know I'm pretty close up top already.

Thanks

Sounds like 1" according to the first post-
jstricker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2006 04:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post
In brief, what Archie does to lower the seats is flattens out the brackets where they mount at the front and cuts out the rear mounting area so the brackets can mount to the floor pan instead of the support. How much higher is it? I really don't know, but it's higher. The reason I don't know is these are for the Roadster so I have no roof to compare seating height with, before and after.

I'm a little surprised the pictures work. My ISP sold out to another one and the DNS servers have been funky with his old domain. If they go to little red x boxes, I'll correct them, but it might be awhile as I've decided to register my own domain and purchased some server space separately so that will take a bit of time to get set up. Then I have to go back and change all the links.

John Stricker
bryson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2006 02:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for brysonSend a Private Message to brysonDirect Link to This Post
Looks good -- very nice looking seat, very subtle. I know you said that they seem to be built "heavier" than stock Fiero seats. Did you happen to weigh them?
mmiller

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2006 10:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mmillerSend a Private Message to mmillerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NJ85fieroGT:

I put in Solstice seats, and it took many hours to get the right height. I cut off about 1-2 inches of the solstice seat from the bottom. I first tried using the Fiero seat brackets, but IMO these make the seat about 3-4 inches too high. In the end, I mounted the seats directly to the floor. They are non adjustable. I am 6-1 and my head almost hits the roof. With a helmet on, I'm bumping around in the sunroof opening. I think the seats are very close to the stock height- with the bottom cut off and mounted directly on the floor. I don't see how you get get slide brackets under the solstice seats without the seat being too high (for a tall person).

I forgot to weigh mine, but I think they are heavier.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock