hypertech chip by Overtime
Started on: 02-21-2006 02:09 PM
Replies: 8
Last post by: Overtime on 02-22-2006 01:58 AM
Overtime

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2006 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OvertimeSend a Private Message to OvertimeDirect Link to This Post
hello,

i have the oppourtunity to get a hypertech thermomaster chip from an 88 automatic fiero with a v-6. i have an 87 GT auto with a v-6.
does anyone know if this chip will work with my computer? is it even worth my money? (i understand that i'll need a lower temp. t-stat. the only reason i ask if it will work is that the hypertech web site lists two different part #'s for each chip, so i'm guessing it won't work, but i'd like someone elses input.
thanks,

Brad

------------------
project car - '87 Fiero GT -103,000 miles - no engine currently....getting a 2.8 for now...SBC to come next winter....

daily driver - '95 Beretta Z26 - 66,000 miles

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
rwright

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2006 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rwrightSend a Private Message to rwrightDirect Link to This Post
i happen to know where to get an ADS Chip for your car. i don't know how others feel about the chip, but when i tested it out, it basically opened up around 3000 rpms and allowed me to pull 110+ easily. i will have to get a price for you though.

------------------
"Save your money, do it yourself, and learn from your mistakes"

1987 GT Daily Driver

Mike Murphy

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2006 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike MurphySend a Private Message to Mike MurphyDirect Link to This Post
All the chips do is waste gas. GM did a bangup job on the ecm even Herb Adams who raced Fieros proved that. I've lately considered removing the low temp fan switch and temp sensor putting it back to stock. The best I get mileage wise in my 87 GT stroker 3.1 is about 17 mpg on highway with auto and it has about 2,500 miles on it since the rebuild. I tried the chip and all it did was light up my check engine light and burn gas so I ditched it.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2006 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
For the stock engine, you aren't going to do really any better than the GM chip.
Having said that, there really isn't any reason that an 87 V6 automatic chip wouldn't work in an 88. The stock ones 86-88 (for the same tranny) are nearly identical, with the exception that the 88 had the rev limiter deleted.

Personally, I would save my money for other stuff.

------------------
Raydar
88 3.4 coupe...........

Praise the Lowered!
Read Nealz Nuze!

Bruce

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2006 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BruceSend a Private Message to BruceDirect Link to This Post
I had one of the "performance" chips, and I noticed that only my mileage was affected. Once I went back to the stock chip, I was able to get MUCH better mileage.
Save you money for something useful!
Jax184

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2006 12:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jax184Click Here to visit Jax184's HomePageSend a Private Message to Jax184Direct Link to This Post
Forget the chip. The only performance boost comes from making your wallet lighter.
If you want some cheap power, do a basic tuneup and remove the restriction in your exaust manifold.
There's bunches of cheap ways of improving power, but a quick fix chip isnt one of them.
rwright

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2006 12:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rwrightSend a Private Message to rwrightDirect Link to This Post
i agree with the gas mileage issue, that's why i decided not to keep the chip in.
fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2006 01:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Direct Link to This Post
I agree with everyones response.
I had a hypertech (street runner) chip in my fiero and noticed that (with the shift light) the light came on at different RPMs than the stock chip. And also I purchased my car with it installed;
once I tried the stock one, big change. Gas milage, more bottom power, and I wouldn't change back!! The guy that had my fiero before said your losing lots of top end power removing the performance chip, thats because he knew he wasted 150 bucks !!

------------------
fierogt28

Overtime

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2006 01:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OvertimeSend a Private Message to OvertimeDirect Link to This Post
ok, thats kind of what i had heard about them, i just wanted to make sure that i shouldn't jump on it....thanks for the advice, as always is much appreciated.

------------------
project car - '87 Fiero GT -103,000 miles - no engine currently....getting a 2.8 for now...SBC to come next winter....

daily driver - '95 Beretta Z26 - 66,000 miles

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock