Park Brake Adjustment by LetTheGoodTimesRoll
Started on: 03-28-2006 09:02 PM
Replies: 7
Last post by: ka4nkf on 03-30-2006 10:19 PM
LetTheGoodTimesRoll

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2006 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LetTheGoodTimesRollSend a Private Message to LetTheGoodTimesRollDirect Link to This Post
I read the proper adjustment procedure for adjusting the park brake on the Ogres website and i was wondering if i could have someone step on the brake pedal to move the to move the piston out instead of prying it out, mostly because i just spent alot of time rebuilding the rear calipers and don't want to take any chances on damaging the boot etc. I personaly don't see why it won't work this way, but i want to make sure.

Thanks

Stuart

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
ka4nkf

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2006 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ka4nkfSend a Private Message to ka4nkfDirect Link to This Post
This is the proper way to do it. Pull your e-brake lever as tight as it will go. Then put your foot on the brake pedal and push hard. Then release the e-brake lever. You will have to repeat this several times to get it adjusted. When you get 4 t0 5 clicks on the e-brake lever, then you are in good shape. I do this procedure about once a month. Note if you get more than 5 clicks after doing this, then your cable probably needs tighten.
Don
3800superfast

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 191
Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2006 03:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3800superfastSend a Private Message to 3800superfastDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ka4nkf:

This is the proper way to do it. Pull your e-brake lever as tight as it will go. Then put your foot on the brake pedal and push hard. Then release the e-brake lever. You will have to repeat this several times to get it adjusted. When you get 4 t0 5 clicks on the e-brake lever, then you are in good shape. I do this procedure about once a month. Note if you get more than 5 clicks after doing this, then your cable probably needs tighten.
Don

Good info, I`m glad you posted this--I can`t get into Ogres cave for some reason , I think it doesn`t like Netscape..

gt7

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2006 03:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gt7Send a Private Message to gt7Direct Link to This Post
Very good explanation. Thanks ka4nkf.

------------------
regards, tom
suffolk, va
gt7@juno.com
1987 Fiero GT 2.8 v6 5spd.

fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2006 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by ka4nkf:

Don

BTW, Does this process require the engine running??

Thanks,

------------------
fierogt28

ka4nkf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2006 12:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ka4nkfSend a Private Message to ka4nkfDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierogt28:

BTW, Does this process require the engine running??

Thanks,

NO
Don

LetTheGoodTimesRoll

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2006 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LetTheGoodTimesRollSend a Private Message to LetTheGoodTimesRollDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the great info, it works great, on good calipers. The passenger side one adjusted up properly but the drivers side one wouldn't. So i unhooked the cable and removed the spring, and tryed moving the lever by hand, and it just floped back and forth, not even a hint of moving the piston

The enternals on the inside of the piston of the bad caliper didn't look quite right, like someone had it apart and was messing with it, but I had the rebuild kit and the parts so I put it together anyway. It went together way easier than the good one but seemed all right on the bench (wiggeled the brake lever and the caliper would move a little) but once it was on the car and bled i had nothing. Don't worry I would have put it through rigorous testing before i put it into operation.

So now i'm off to the parts store to get two new ones cause i don't really trust the other one now either.

Stuart

[This message has been edited by LetTheGoodTimesRoll (edited 03-30-2006).]

ka4nkf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2006 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ka4nkfSend a Private Message to ka4nkfDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LetTheGoodTimesRoll:

Thanks for the great info, it works great, on good calipers. The passenger side one adjusted up properly but the drivers side one wouldn't. So i unhooked the cable and removed the spring, and tryed moving the lever by hand, and it just floped back and forth, not even a hint of moving the piston

The enternals on the inside of the piston of the bad caliper didn't look quite right, like someone had it apart and was messing with it, but I had the rebuild kit and the parts so I put it together anyway. It went together way easier than the good one but seemed all right on the bench (wiggeled the brake lever and the caliper would move a little) but once it was on the car and bled i had nothing. Don't worry I would have put it through rigorous testing before i put it into operation.

So now i'm off to the parts store to get two new ones cause i don't really trust the other one now either.

Stuart

You are making a good choice on getting new ones. also I prefer the rebuilt ones from cardone. I just rebuilt mine and it is a PITA. To rebuild them right you need to get the recall kit that has all new parts including the pistons. Mine work great, but from now on I will buy the rebuilt.
Don

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock