Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
   List of engines that bolt to Fiero bellhousing (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
List of engines that bolt to Fiero bellhousing by skidpro1
Started on: 10-28-2004 06:57 PM
Replies: 67
Last post by: FIEROPHREK on 11-12-2006 08:21 PM
FastFieros

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 265
Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2005 01:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastFierosClick Here to visit FastFieros's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastFierosDirect Link to This Post
You can add the new 2005/6 Grand Prix GXP with the 5.3 V8 DoD engine coming out this May.

See this thread for lots of info on it.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/058437.html

Loyde

IP: Logged
webbee

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2005 03:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for webbeeSend a Private Message to webbeeDirect Link to This Post
FastFieros-May be I missed it, but I don't see any indication in your thread, that this engine will bolt to the stock transaxle. If you can document that, then it should be added. I don't see that you could get it to run as there aren't the right sensors in the Fiero tranny. That's the problem with the EcoTech. So then the question becomes if it bolts can you get it to run and how much effort is needed. A lot of the swaps on the list have to have a differant computer/wiring to get them to run, so aren't really plug and play.

FIEROFLYER-Does the 2.2 echo thech have the same bellhousing pattern as the quad four...
My understanding is they are differant trannies, anyone else.

sactodreamer- anything that isn't an original engine to the car is going to have more work than just plugging in another rebuilt/used motor.

Jim Baumann-Thanks for remembering/posting that link.

bruce cornell-and what is it about the 3.0 duke used in merc i/o marine systems?
No info on that block, anyone else know anything.

fierosound-There is also a 3400 pushrod, basically a FWD 3.4 with roller cam and aluminium heads...
I think it is already covered as a 3400, but if you want to list it seperately, I will add it. Comments by anyone else concerning this addition? What about starter placement? More info needed.

Mr.T-The 4.3L diesel used very different gear ratios than a gas motor, due to diesels having low redlines. So you probably shouldn't use the diesel with the Fiero trans.
Good point, so I won't add it to the list, but it is noted in the thread in case someone thinks they have to have a Fiero diesel.

Azriel-Better idea here...
Start a thread about this and see if you can get any swapers to write it up. It would seem to be a more helpful info thread. I am just trying to bring some clarity to this thread by producing a list of swap candidates that will bolt to the stock tranny, per the heading. What level of difficulty involved after the bolt up is beyond the scope, imho. skidpro1 started this thread, but he has been banned, so I am only the volunteer list scribe. I depend totally on other members info on swaps, so this is really, everyone who has contributed info's list. You could use this list as the basis for starting a, "What is involved in doing the actual swap" thread. In my opinion a lot of these bolt ups would be better done by using the tranny/computer/wiring that came with the donor engine/car, instead of using the stock tranny.

I agree that this thread, or at least the list, should be included in the permanent info section, unless better info threads come along. That will be Cliff's decision at some point.

SCCA FIERO

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2005 04:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SCCA FIEROSend a Private Message to SCCA FIERODirect Link to This Post
I have nothing to add to the list. But I am curious why Skidpro1 was banned.

I searched and found that he wanted to do either a 3.4 trubo, 3.4 pushrod, 3.4 TDC, 2.8 turbo, 3800sc, 4.9, or maybe a V8 swap and didn't have the knowledge to change his own oil. Other than him asking how to do these several different swaps, what did I miss?

------------------

sactodreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2005 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sactodreamerSend a Private Message to sactodreamerDirect Link to This Post
Does anyone know if the newer 3400 like in the 2001+ Impalas will work with out tranies??

***Edit** Nevermind, I'm sure if it was, someone would have posted it by now.

[This message has been edited by sactodreamer (edited 02-22-2005).]

webbee

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2005 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for webbeeSend a Private Message to webbeeDirect Link to This Post
For ease of use this is the last update of this list so far. If you have updates let's hear about them.

GM 4 Cylinder
1.8 liter L4
2.0 liter L4
2.2 liter OHV (non Ecotech)
2.5 liter Iron Duke stock Fiero
1.8/2.0/2.0 Turbo, but the starter is in the wrong place and it's usually easier to use the transmission that came with these cars.

GM 6 Cylinder
60-degree V6 (2.8(Stock Fiero)/3.1/3.4 /3100/3400TDC) the 3.4 (RWD Camaro) needs the starter changed to the other side. FWD minivans had the right starter position for a Fiero.
Buick Centry 3300, 180 hp, 190 tk
3400 (non TDC) will also bolt up. No modifications needed to the transmission and the starter is on the correct side.
3800/3800 SC V6 series one two and three.

Cadillac
V8
Cadillac front wheel drive V8 (4.1/4.5/4.9 / Northstar) the Northstar and Aurora require a little bit of work to get the fourth bell housing bolt set up. The bell housing is the same size and the crank lines up, no adaptor needed.

Oldsmobile V8
4.0 Aurora V8 same work as the Northstar to install.
V6
3.5 DOHC V6 aka Shortstar came in Intrigue from 99-02 and a base engine in the Aurora from 00-03

Exotic Rida

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 69
User Banned

Report this Post05-19-2005 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Exotic RidaSend a Private Message to Exotic RidaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by webbee:

GM 6 Cylinder
60-degree V6 (2.8(Stock Fiero)/3.1/3.4 /3100/3400TDC) the 3.4 (RWD Camaro) needs the starter changed to the other side. FWD minivans had the right starter position for a Fiero.
Buick Centry 3300, 180 hp, 190 tk
3400 (non TDC) will also bolt up. No modifications needed to the transmission and the starter is on the correct side.

the 3.4 DOHC will bolt up without moving the starter......... it is in the correct place......

------------------
3.4 DOHC V6 pushing mid 13's a true mustang eater!!!

Full tubular suspension!
Fully adjustable coilovers front and rear!
Poly everything!
3.4L TWIN DUAL CAM V6 240+H.P.
Heads p/p!
underdrive pulley!
Darth chip!
Accell performance ignition!
Borla exhaust (how sweet)!
Strut tower brace
Now who ever said that a V6 can be fast????????

[This message has been edited by Exotic Rida (edited 05-19-2005).]

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2005 01:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
"Whats up with the 3.5?"
It's all good

------------------

ray b

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2005 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ray bSend a Private Message to ray bDirect Link to This Post
question I have asked before
but never got a good answer to

what about the 3.4 or 3.5 isusu truck motor DOHC
the guy next door has one in his truck

btw they are rated higher then the gm 3.4 DOHC car motor like 240 hp
and earlyer isusu trucks used the 2.8 and 3.4 pushrod motors [ours]

------------------
Question wonder and be wierd
are you kind?

Soelasca

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2005 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SoelascaClick Here to visit Soelasca's HomePageSend a Private Message to SoelascaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bruce cornell:

and what is it about the 3.0 duke used in merc i/o marine systems?

I talked to a guy here in Edmonton who built one of the 3.0L dukes. Apparently he got quite a bit of technical help from Orief, so you might want to talk to him about more specific details.

I'm not sure about the block, but the crank is from a marine engine. The cylinders are bored out to 4.00" (same as the SBC) and I believe the engine uses SBC pistons and connecting rods. The crank from the marine engine is apparently built for a heavier duty application. I don't know if there's any other differences between that crank and the stock 2.5L crank.

markviiisvt4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2005 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for markviiisvt4Click Here to visit markviiisvt4's HomePageSend a Private Message to markviiisvt4Direct Link to This Post
the eco tech does not bold right up to the quad 4 trans but lokks like it could be a possiabilty with a little modding. In the newer j bodies the eco tech is a drop in replacment for the quad 4 as long as the eco trans is also used wich leads me to beleive that the eco tech trans and engine could go into a fiero. There are no sensors in a getrag trans for the eco tech the auto has a few but the engine will run with out them. And since earlier eco's can be found from l series saturns and aleros you can get an engine and trans for less then what you would pay for some of the other poupler swap engines. Not only that the eco tec is build like a brick s**^ house and is capable of easy 300 hp with a turbo. Also if some one can get a eco tec trans to go into a fiero there are quite a few saab engines that will bolt to it.
Dave E Bouy

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2005 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave E BouySend a Private Message to Dave E BouyDirect Link to This Post
What about the 3.3 from the Olds Achieva? Will it match up to the 60* trannies and if so what kind of horsies did it put out?
PFF
System Bot
aaronrus

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
User Banned

Report this Post07-23-2005 01:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronrusSend a Private Message to aaronrusDirect Link to This Post
NOw.. the 5.3L V8 in the new Grand Prixs, are supposed to be a FWD SBC yes? if taht is the case, couldnta fuel system and computer from one of the corvette systems be used?
Blue Shift

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2005 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Blue ShiftSend a Private Message to Blue ShiftDirect Link to This Post
As for the 3.0L Mercruiser, I think it has a SBC bellhousing pattern, which makes it so they can bolt the 3.0 I4, 305/350 V8 motors to the same outdrive without having to make a special outdrive for the "economy" level motor. They have about 140 HP and are built far more durable than our 2.5 due to the severe conditions marine motors have to withstand. I think there's also an issue with the water pump as well. On the upside, you can put a Merc crank in a 2.5 block.
SpeedDemon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2005 12:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SpeedDemonSend a Private Message to SpeedDemonDirect Link to This Post
The 3100/3400 SFI (pushrod motors) are 3rd gen 60* v6s, so they'll have the same bellhousing pattern. As well, they are FWD engines, so the starter will be on the same side as the stock fiero engine. These are definately and upgrade, and not to be confused with the aluminum head 2nd get 3.1, the 3.4 TDC, or the iron head RWD 3.4 from the F-bodies.
As for the 3.3L (aka 3300), which served in the achieva, grand am, cutlass ciera, and many others throughout the late eights and early nineties also has the right pattern, and starter location, if memory serves.

[This message has been edited by SpeedDemon (edited 07-24-2005).]

86fieroEarl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 117
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2005 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fieroEarlSend a Private Message to 86fieroEarlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by markviiisvt4:

the eco tech does not bold right up to the quad 4 trans but lokks like it could be a possiabilty with a little modding. In the newer j bodies the eco tech is a drop in replacment for the quad 4 as long as the eco trans is also used wich leads me to beleive that the eco tech trans and engine could go into a fiero. There are no sensors in a getrag trans for the eco tech the auto has a few but the engine will run with out them. And since earlier eco's can be found from l series saturns and aleros you can get an engine and trans for less then what you would pay for some of the other poupler swap engines. Not only that the eco tec is build like a brick s**^ house and is capable of easy 300 hp with a turbo. Also if some one can get a eco tec trans to go into a fiero there are quite a few saab engines that will bolt to it.

A saab engine would be neat in a fiero, Some saabs came turbo powered from the factory as well.
I always liked the saabs.

Dave E Bouy

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2005 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave E BouySend a Private Message to Dave E BouyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SpeedDemon:

As for the 3.3L (aka 3300), which served in the achieva, grand am, cutlass ciera, and many others throughout the late eights and early nineties also has the right pattern, and starter location, if memory serves.

Good motor? Bad motor? What kind of power? I recall my brother owning an Acheiva that I thought was pretty snappy? The reason I ask is that there is one for sale not too far away for a decent price.

smoothwhitese

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2005 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for smoothwhiteseSend a Private Message to smoothwhiteseDirect Link to This Post
this should stay at the top for ppl that are wondering
spud321x

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2005 01:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spud321xSend a Private Message to spud321xDirect Link to This Post
BUMP, this is a good thread
Michelhaugh

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2006 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MichelhaughClick Here to visit Michelhaugh's HomePageSend a Private Message to MichelhaughDirect Link to This Post
The 4.3 Olds diesel will bolt right up but as stated the gear ratios are much different on the diesel 125C trans.

So if you of of a mind to join the DieselFieros get the trans from the donor car too.

DieselFiero
nitrous nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2006 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitrous nutSend a Private Message to nitrous nutDirect Link to This Post
so the 2.4 from a cav. will it work with the trans from the doner and what about axels do you have to have them custom made?

my brother has a 98 cav w/ the2.4 5speed and 75 shot of nos and can take out a mustang 5.0 auto by 1/2 a car. i think it would make a cool motor.
from what i learnd about the 2.4 it puts out 180hp stock. that sound right?
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2006 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by aaronrus:

NOw.. the 5.3L V8 in the new Grand Prixs, are supposed to be a FWD SBC yes? if taht is the case, couldnta fuel system and computer from one of the corvette systems be used?

Probably not. The 5.3 has displacement on demand. The electronics on it are totally different from the LS1, LS2, LS6.
PFF
System Bot
fiero 3800sc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2006 04:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero 3800scSend a Private Message to fiero 3800scDirect Link to This Post
Ok i know this is an old topic but i'm looking for a fwd getrag that bolt to my 3800 engine. Does someone can confirm to me that a tranny coming out from a 1996 cavalier 2.2L will bolt up to my engine ?
Thank you.
KeithGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2006 09:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KeithGTSend a Private Message to KeithGTDirect Link to This Post
i KNOW a 2.2 isuzu trans will bolt up to the 3800, as thats what the cavalier/sunfire guys are using when doing there swaps.

And if im reading this thread correctly, the isuzu will also bolt up to a 2.8/2.4, correct? Thats not a bad trans, i had the isuzu in my cavy, and theres a couple 3800sc cavs, and turbod cav running the isuzus with no probs.
fiero 3800sc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2006 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero 3800scSend a Private Message to fiero 3800scDirect Link to This Post
Does it works with the original (cavalier) shift and select arms on fiero ?
KeithGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2006 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KeithGTSend a Private Message to KeithGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fiero 3800sc:

Does it works with the original (cavalier) shift and select arms on fiero ?

Now THAT i do not know, cause like i said, there using them IN CAVALIERS, not fieros so obviously they just use all that stuff, and i dont know how much different the arms are set up, im sure youd have to do something custom to make them work, but youd def be able to make them work.

Keith

Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2006 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedDirect Link to This Post
The Fiero's isuzu has it's own unique shift lever assembly that bolts in place of the one that would come out of any FWD. Outside of that one factor, and some gear ratio's, they are identicle.
fiero 3800sc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2006 03:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero 3800scSend a Private Message to fiero 3800scDirect Link to This Post
Thank you guys, do you know if they are stronger than the 4 cyl. fiero units ?
FIEROPHREK

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 137
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2006 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROPHREKSend a Private Message to FIEROPHREKDirect Link to This Post
Just to back up what fast fieros mentioned

Only thing i'm not sure of yet is the dowel pin/sleeve locations. If you eliminate the dod function you can use ls1,ls6 computer and wiring, or a carb for that matter

------------------
HARDCORE SBC CRONIE AND PROUD OF IT ! GOT TQ ?

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock