Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Quick Easy 4.9 Upgrades to make it a Real Motor. (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Quick Easy 4.9 Upgrades to make it a Real Motor. by Capt Fiero
Started on: 12-24-2005 02:42 AM
Replies: 49
Last post by: FierOmar on 10-04-2006 12:39 PM
Racingman24

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2006 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Racingman24Click Here to visit Racingman24's HomePageSend a Private Message to Racingman24Direct Link to This Post
I really need to get my car running. . . .then to the Dyno. It'll be cool to compare results since we have the same damn engine.
IP: Logged
FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 70
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2006 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroDirect Link to This Post
50% increase in HP without changing the cam or intake? On a naturally aspirated engine???

------------------

My Web page | The Turbo Super Duty Build.
You know that little voice that says it can't be done? I duct-taped mine's mouth shut and pushed it down a flight of stairs.

velcro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2006 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for velcroSend a Private Message to velcroDirect Link to This Post
I am in the middle of putting a 4.9 into my fiero.
Has anyone successfully added nitros to this engine?
If so what kit did they use and how much can this engine safely handle?
I don’t want to go through all this work just to explode the engine into a fiery mass of molten metal.

jeffndebrus

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2006 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jeffndebrusSend a Private Message to jeffndebrusDirect Link to This Post
Is Rockcrawl still around to burn our 4.9 chips or did he dissapear completely?

------------------
Proud Member of the North Florida Fiero club

4T60E Parks harness/ Rockcrawl chip-- more to come--

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2006 01:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Ya Rockcrawl is sometimes a bit hard to get in touch with. There were a couple of guys doing the 4.9 chips. In my opinion I would not even consider running it without a tuned chip. From what I have seen and heard on here, the chip makes a huge diffrence in the 4.9. So getting either a rockcrawl or someone elses chip would be the only route to go.

As for Nitrous, yes there have been several people run 100hp shots and I have heard that you can put more, but am not a fan of taxing the engine that much. The 4.9 responds well to a bit of juice.

------------------
85GT 5spd ,93 Eldorado 4.9 Dual O2 Custom Chip, Archie Clutch. Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything 245/50/16's Not Your Average 4.9 Capt Fiero Com --- My Over View Cadero Pics Yellow 88GT 5spd Stock.

FierOmar

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2006 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierOmarSend a Private Message to FierOmarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GT:

Hey-a-Cap'n-

I was speaking to Bud at Bud's Outback a few months back and he was just finishing up a prototype bolt-on for the 4.5/4.9 engines. It's a new set of roller rockers (either 1.7 or 1.8, can't recall) and the steel arms that they bolt to. The arms are aluminum in the 4.x engines and prone to breakage but his are to be steel like the Allante's and will not break. He may have them in production by now. All you do is remove the valve covers, remove the rocker assembly, and bolt the new assemblies on. No adjustments, just bolt and go! Sounded like a great way to pump up the power without tearing the engine down. He's at www.gr8grip.com .

My interest is primarily is track events (either high performance or racing). I've been fooling around with various Fiero models for a few years now. Got started building a 4.9 on an 88 Coupe (converted to GT) platform that was going to be used for NASA's TT events, but they changed the TT rules after the 2005 season much to the detriment of this conversion. So, I continued racing my Neon this year. Now I want to finish up the 4.9. Actually, my racing partner, Rich and I are ready to put 3 different cars together ('88, '87 and '84); at least two of them will have manual transmissions. None of these cars will be used on the street, and thus, emission compliance is not an issue. We extimate the weight of the completed cars to be around 2150 - 2300 lbs., depending on whether we are using a manual trans or automatic, and whether roll bar or full cage is used.

Our objective is to make a fast (and fun) track car for as little as reasonably possible by using the Fiero chassis with the 4.9 engine although the budget will allow for some performance mods. Towards this end, we are hoping to limit ourselves to bolt on performance parts. Here is what I am contemplating:

For the 88 (for track or TT events):
Engine: My personal track car will be a 4.9 converted to carburetor... the distributor has already been converted. Delta cam and extended pushrods. Eldo exhaust manifolds through single (3 inch?) performance/race exhaust. Add Bud's roller rockers if available. Delete A/C and PS.

Trans: Somewhat undecided here. Been considering a Muncie 4 speed ( 3,32.- 365 hybrid, or a standard 3.65); or a Getrag. (I would be happy with a top speed of around 140 since there are only a couple tracks that I go to were such speeds are likely.). Add a GR8GRIP. Aluminum flywheel (already have one).

Brakes: 12" WCF Corvette conversion (already have them).

Wheels: 17" (or possibly 16" if they will fit over 12" brakes) with tire size that is matched to available gearing.

Suspension : Koni shocks (have them); Springs have not yet been finalized, but looking at 400# front and 325# rear (on coilover) as a starting point. Stock 88 rear sway bar with front to be determined.

Interior: Roll bar (Kirk) installed. Interior stripped. Battery moved to front.

For the 87 (race):
Essentially the same except that this one will be equipped with a full racing cage;
final brake selection has not been made (either 12" Corvette or Beretta style); will likely use an 88 rear cradle, but if not, a bump steer kit with solid cradle mounts will be used. Sway bar combination from those commonly used on the early chassis.

For the 84 (for track or TT events):
Engine/trans: Essentially stock except for bolt on mods listed above. Add Rockcrawl's chip, Eldo exhaust, and if we can find one, the Allante intake. Stock auto trans. Otherwise, similar to 88 except that springs may need to be adjusted to account for the heavier weight for the trans.

Since this thread deals primarily with 4.9 performance issues, does anyone have an estimate of hp/torque for an otherwise stock 4.9 with the bolton parts I have listed above with carb? How about with FI and Allante intake?

Couple other questions... Assuming the set up listed for the 88, could I expect to raise the redline and if so, approximately where would it be?
------------------
FierOmar

[This message has been edited by FierOmar (edited 10-01-2006).]

wiccantoy

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2006 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wiccantoySend a Private Message to wiccantoyDirect Link to This Post
there are a tons of things you can do here with the 4.9 not that long ago i was going to supercharge it but decided against it and went with the 4.6 pistons , delta cam , ported and polished heads and intake (by a professional so it could be flow tested each step) short exhaust , rockcrawl chip, heavier springs in the heads , reground seats , full rebuild on the heads and engine , elante rocker supports . eventually will be useing msd and race wires , more to come after i put it back in and test everything.
bud from buds outback has a long list of things you can do to these engines including his twin turbo 4.9 and much more

------------------

COMING SOON: 4.9 complete rebuild with buds outback northstar pistons , delta cams E303 cam , full ported , polished , and flow tested heads and manifolds. rockcrawl's custom chip
86 and 87 fiero database www.geocities.com/cwandall/fiero.html

FierOmar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2006 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierOmarSend a Private Message to FierOmarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FierOmar:

Our objective is to make a fast (and fun) track car for as little as reasonably possible by using the Fiero chassis with the 4.9 engine although the budget will allow for some performance mods. Towards this end, we are hoping to limit ourselves to bolt on performance parts. Here is what I am contemplating:

For the 88 (for track or TT events):
Engine: My personal track car will be a 4.9 converted to carburetor... the distributor has already been converted. Delta cam and extended pushrods. Eldo exhaust manifolds through single (approximately 3 inch?) performance/race exhaust. Of course, A/C and emissions will be deleted.

Since this thread deals primarily with 4.9 performance issues, does anyone have an estimate of hp/torque for an otherwise stock 4.9 with the bolt-on parts I have listed above with carb? How about with FI and Allante intake?

Couple other questions... Assuming the set up listed, could I expect to raise the redline and if so, approximately where would it be?

Add couple more questions: With the limited mods I have listed, could I expect the engine to continue to pull up to 5500 rpm? Higher?

Does anyone make an underdrive pulley for the 4.9?

Any estimates on hp/torque? Guestimates?

------------------
FierOmar

PBJ

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2006 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FierOmar:

Does anyone make an underdrive pulley for the 4.9?

You don't want to slow down the waterpump any more than it already is at idle. If you wish just put a larger alternator pulley on and acomplish pretty much the same effect.

Pete

------------------

FierOmar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2006 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierOmarSend a Private Message to FierOmarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PBJ:
You don't want to slow down the waterpump any more than it already is at idle. If you wish just put a larger alternator pulley on and acomplish pretty much the same effect.

Pete

Thanks for the response. Of course, you are correct, particularly for a car that is driven on the street. From my experience on the track, we don't spend too much time at idle, and slowing down the water pump a bit might help. Some racers will trim off every other vane in the water pump to reduce the volume pumped and the concomitant drag on the system.

Are you aware of an overdrive alternator pulley that is currently available?

------------------
FierOmar

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock