Front Coilover with Stock LCA by Jimmy_the_Saint
Started on: 07-23-2006 12:30 AM
Replies: 7
Last post by: 2002z28ssconv on 07-30-2006 11:08 AM
Jimmy_the_Saint

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2006 12:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jimmy_the_SaintSend a Private Message to Jimmy_the_SaintDirect Link to This Post
I was wondering if it was posible to adapt the stock front lower control arms on an 85 GT for coilovers. Does anyone have any knowledege or suggestions? I was thinking I might be able to cut off the stock spring perch and weld two pieces of steel across the gap as a mounting bracket, similar to the Held arms, and then reinforcing it with a piece of steel welded across the parts on either side of the bracket. Thanks in advance.

-Rick
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2006 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post
By looking at one of my file photos (not my car)yes,it is possible.sorry I dont have more info on that (you might try leaveing a post on Ari's kit car forum) or Lambo Lounge (if Lambo Lounge is still arround) or try doing an internet search for Fiero front coil overs...
Jimmy_the_Saint

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2006 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jimmy_the_SaintSend a Private Message to Jimmy_the_SaintDirect Link to This Post
Thank you for the reply
olaf_fiero27

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2006 02:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olaf_fiero27Send a Private Message to olaf_fiero27Direct Link to This Post
wow, what suspension set up is that?
James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2006 10:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by olaf_fiero27:

wow, what suspension set up is that?

Can't remember now,just one of my file photos.I probubly got the pic off Ari kit car forum.Looks like some of the parts are powder coated or painted to match.
Lambo nut

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2006 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutDirect Link to This Post
That's not a stock lower control arm either.

Kevin
Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2006 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugDirect Link to This Post
Heck, there's nothing there that is stock!
2002z28ssconv

Feedback score:    (27)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2006 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2002z28ssconvClick Here to visit 2002z28ssconv's HomePageSend a Private Message to 2002z28ssconvDirect Link to This Post
I'm wanting to try the same thing on my 85 and my 88. The 85 is just a play car strictly for autocrossing but the 88 is a pristine GT that's getting a 3800 in it and will hopefully be a daily driver one day. I was thinking that slicing off the spring perch and welding on a steel plate would keep all of the pressure dispersed on the same area of the lower control arm as the original design. What I'm worried about is how to attach it at the top and still have enough room for suspension travel. We'll have to find a spring short enough to fit in there that won't get coil bind. Also the bottom will have to pivot on it's mount a little bit. It won't sit flat like the rear struts do. Those are easy.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock