Started on: 08-15-2005 02:30 PM
Replies: 76
Last post by: Francis T on 05-28-2007 11:22 PM
California Kid

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2005 06:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidDirect Link to This Post
Look real good ! Would be nice if you could "mold in" in flare lips at the front and sides to make the installation easier/more durable, just an idea.

Did you determine the impact to packaging either / both spare tire, and sunroof glass ? Do you plan on selling reproductions of this scoop ?

I've got a spare hood that's been talking to me, requesting a make-over.

------------------

Car History: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/025670.html

IP: Logged
California Kid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2005 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidDirect Link to This Post

California Kid

9541 posts
Member since Jul 2001
^
Francis T

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2005 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
Don't know if the sun roof will still fit. To be honest I never take mine off, so it really never was a concern for me. As for molding the lip in, I'd have to see what that would do to the mold and especially getting the darn thing off it ! No plans for now about selling them, but if you want to come to my place you can use the mold for free. Ops, I guess you're on the west coast. The offer still stands for others unless I get flodded with request to use it.
I'm undecided as to how Iwant to finesh it up, on the one hand I'm leaning heavily towards the shrouding and letting the fan show, on the other, I'm thinking about putting a mesh type grill down at the face of the inlet to the scoop. Just wonder what the thoughts are on those two options. With the fan showing it's clearly functional, with the grill it may look like a fake?
goatnipples2002

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 112
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2005 10:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for goatnipples2002Click Here to visit goatnipples2002's HomePageSend a Private Message to goatnipples2002Direct Link to This Post
The mesh screen would stop leaves and other debris from building up in the fan compartment. What is it made out of? Is ABS plastic cheaper to make things out of then fiberglass? Is it easier to work with? Just wondering because I seen so many products that are fiberglass, but ABS is more durable and usually cheaper. Would you consider it if we had a group buy?

[This message has been edited by goatnipples2002 (edited 09-19-2005).]

Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2005 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
My scoop is fober glass, three and four layers thick. I've never molded anything from ABS, but I think it has to be maybe vacuum formed which would not make it too practical for the home builder. From experience, I found that paint sticks much better fiberglass than it does to ABS and I don't think ABS is as heat resistant as fiber glass, so an overheated radiator may worp an ABS scoop. I'm sure others will have opions and more experience with ABS and chime in on it.
Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2005 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post

Francis T

6620 posts
Member since Oct 2003
One other thing, goatnip, whatever made you pick that name. Nevermind, maybe we're better off not knowing..........
88fierocoupe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2005 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88fierocoupeSend a Private Message to 88fierocoupeDirect Link to This Post
how much did you have to cut of the spare tire compartment, if any? pics of under the hood?

Please put me in line for a scoop if you decide to sell a few, this is exactly what I had planned for mine.
Thanks in advance, Drew

Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2005 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
Well.... for mine, the tire won't fit anymore, but all's not lost. It can go in the back and I stilll have lots of room up front for tools and things. When we do one for my son-in-law (he saw mine Sunday and loves it) I'm going to add a small mod to the lower lip of the scoop so it will clear the back of the fan motor and thus we'll be able to put it 2" more forward (where I wanted it in the first place) than mine and easily keep the tire up front. I just hate hate it when I think of a simple solution after the fact! But that's how it near always is with prototypes. I'll take some more pics after I get the rubber molding and overflow bottle installed.
goatnipples2002

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 112
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2005 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for goatnipples2002Click Here to visit goatnipples2002's HomePageSend a Private Message to goatnipples2002Direct Link to This Post
my real "name" is goatman and my friends call me goatnipples as a joke and I thought it was different than any other internet name.

plus

I love the way they taste....oh they just hang so lovely

[This message has been edited by goatnipples2002 (edited 09-06-2007).]

Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2005 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
Hm....... so 'that's what's in a name' now coming from someone who lives in a place called Hell, um... I mean Hellevue, such is understanderable. But then, I also have been called by other names, though in my case they also begain with an 'F' like Franics like..... ^&*%% and &^%$#, and, well nevermind that. Anyway; I picked up an aftermarket coolant bottle at Autozone today that looks like it may fit nicely and some weather stripping too so it's comming together.
THE BEAST

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2005 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for THE BEASTSend a Private Message to THE BEASTDirect Link to This Post
Any updates, yet?
PFF
System Bot
Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2005 07:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
Been busy making intake manifolds, but I hope to finesh it up today if don't rain. Since I'm undecided about painting a stripe up it, I'm going to take some pictures of it with no stripe, then with one style and then another and see which one recieves the most thumbs up. The car is in black primer now and I'll do the stripes in gray primer so it should give a good feel for what it will look like in the metalic black with a silver stripe or no stripe. I also put some mesh-like grilling around the fan. but may just put a grill accross the front of the scoop, that's another item for debate since both have their + and - points.
THE BEAST

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2005 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for THE BEASTSend a Private Message to THE BEASTDirect Link to This Post
Francis T, you have a new PM.

Thanks!
JG

Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2005 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
I sent some more pictures to Raydar to post here. It's pretty much done. Things to note when he puts the pictures up:
Fan screen, (which may or may not stay as I might just put a grill in front of the scoop)
Fan side schroding made from the inner plastic fender wells from an MR2 (I'm always finding a use for that light wieght stuff).
Autozone overflow bottle
As you'll see, my tool box fits up front but not the tire, which is now in the back. If I make any more scops, the tire will fit where it belongs as the scoop will be foward a few more inches
I could use some feedback on painting car, take a look at the front view picture with it all in black primer and then the one with gray primer in the scoop and radiator air inlet. Whereas the car be painted matalic black over all and I was thinking of maybe doing the area you see in the gray primer in a bright matalic silver. (I'll be redoing the inside in black and silver too). I'm undecided; what do you people think, stay with it in all black or do the silver too?
I also just thought to show what I did with my side engine air inlet and how the wing looks now that's been moved aft about 3." With the car now also lowered, the front scoop, intercooler and rear extractor scoop, and other mods, I think it's begining to kinda cool, but perhaps a bit too out there or busy for some. One thing though, there ent nothing on it for looks only, every do-dad is functional.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2005 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Here you go, Frank.
I had to resize them and crop the underhood pic just a bit. Didn't lose any of the details, though.

Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2005 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
OK, I've changed my mind again on the paint sceam. I'm going to do it in the black with the silver strip prettymuch like the GT40 @ http://www.erareplicas.com/gt/gt.htm Which means I'll also have to take over the rear scoop too.
California Kid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2005 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidDirect Link to This Post
You're frightening me know Francis, any idea how much body structure you lost in the front by chopping that section out????
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2005 12:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by California Kid:

You're frightening me know Francis, any idea how much body structure you lost in the front by chopping that section out????

I thought about that too, but all of the suspension mounting points are attached to the front subframe, and not the body.
I'm not so sure that it'll hurt anything.

California Kid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2005 02:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidDirect Link to This Post
I'm referring to the sheet metal removed forward of where the spare tire used to be. I'd be just a little concerned about torzional chassis flex, even the tube chassis racing Fiero's had either a box section, cross pipes welded in that area to prevent twisting. I really like the concept of that air duct, but I wouldn't want to take anything away from an already excellent chassis structure, without designing something to replace structure removed.
Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2005 09:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
I don't think any of it was structural. There just thin piece of maybe 2" wide sheet metal and the rest was plastic. As for the hood, the scoop about as thick as the hood and it's screewed and expoxied on.
FieroWannaBe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2005 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroWannaBeSend a Private Message to FieroWannaBeDirect Link to This Post
do you have a down scoop picture? one wher you can see the radiator, how close does it come to the raidator? this sound like an excellent vent, but i dotn klike the idea of losing a spare tire and sunroof bay
PFF
System Bot
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2005 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
Looks good, I like it.
Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2005 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
Like I said, the tire can be retained by moving the scoop forward about 2" and that's what we'll do on my son-in-laws 87GT. As for the sun roof, it may fit then? I never take mine off so it wasn't a concern to me. When I'm a mood to go topless, I just take my 124 Spider for spin. That car is kind of cool too; headers, hi comp pistons, four GSR 1100 carbs on our own intake and an Electromotive Tech I coil pac distributorless ign system etc, etc. But that's probably for another forum.
BTW: If you go back to page 1 of this thread, you'll see the scoop with the hood closed, but at that stage I did not have the shrouding fan grill install which you can see on this page (the one with the hood up and the yellow tool box top showing. The next one I make will have a aera for the fan motor to fit into and that will bring it closer to radiator and also provide the tire space. Thus far I'm still not looking to sell them aside from maybe 2, but the offer still stands for anyone in my area that's wants to come over and use the mold.
t76racer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2005 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for t76racerSend a Private Message to t76racerDirect Link to This Post
Here are some pics of the finished product.

I have to say that this car looks really wicked now that it all painted. Good jod Francis T!

Now here are some pics Francis car with stripes. They are just paper to illustrate what it would look like, as Francis is planning silver stipes, but hasnt decided yet. He says that it turns alot of heads and I'm sure it does.

Now were do I send mine?

FierOmar

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2005 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierOmarSend a Private Message to FierOmarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Francis T:
Thus far I'm still not looking to sell them aside from maybe 2, but the offer still stands for anyone in my area that's wants to come over and use the mold.

Francis: Could you make that 3? As you probably recall, we fabricated our own on the roadster. See: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-000002/HTML/20040710-1-037446-2.html

We simply cut the hood, bent the center portion to the desired position and added side panels to fill in... added a small front lip by molding in a piece of L-shaped aluminum.

However, we are looking for a quicker and easier alternative for a future project. Since yours appears to drop in, it might be both quicker and easier in the long run.

------------------
FierOmar

Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2005 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
FieroOmar; I really like your car. As for making 3 I probably could do one for you. Now I don't think I'll be able to do the scoops until the spring as it's too cold here to work outside and and don't want to stink up the shop with resen fumes what with the intakes we have to make.
Whereas I've offered my mold to anyone that wants to come over and use it, it's funny how everyone interested is on the other side of the country! Go fig?
Anyway; I don't know if I'd call it a drop in? You have to cut your hood open, drill it for maybe 20 nylon bolts, bolt and epoxy the new scoop in, and then mold the front lip etc.
BTW: it seems that I made the right choice when I used those nylon 6/32 screws as it has been cold and hot here and there doesn't seem to be any cracking or anything. Even with frost on the hood, I can't tell where the bolts are like you can tell where the hood supports are on a cold hood. I guess CMC and nylon have near the same exspansion rate. I have to admit, there are a few bolts up front that I simply sanded a little too deep and can see even whe it's warm.
FriendGregory

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2006 04:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendGregorySend a Private Message to FriendGregoryDirect Link to This Post
TTT, I really like this one!
FierOmar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2006 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierOmarSend a Private Message to FierOmarDirect Link to This Post

FieroOmar; I really like your car. As for making 3 I probably could do one for you. Now I don't think I'll be able to do the scoops until the spring as it's too cold here to work outside and and don't want to stink up the shop with resen fumes what with the intakes we have to make.
Whereas I've offered my mold to anyone that wants to come over and use it, it's funny how everyone interested is on the other side of the country! Go fig?

Spring has sprung... Still interested in getting one of your hood vents. What are the chances?
------------------
FierOmar

[This message has been edited by FierOmar (edited 05-18-2006).]

FierOmar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2006 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierOmarSend a Private Message to FierOmarDirect Link to This Post
Francis T???

------------------
FierOmar

Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2006 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
Well, I still haven't changed my mind about making them to sell. Although I can work with fiberglass it's not something I really like to do all that much. I retired a few months ago and do have more time between makng intakes and soon our exhaust headers. For me to do another I'd have to charge maybe $150 and that would be one that you would have to do the finial fineshing. IE add any filler and sand etc. For anyone close enough to Fredericksburg area of Virginia, the offer still stands to come and use my molds for free.
FierOmar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2006 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierOmarSend a Private Message to FierOmarDirect Link to This Post

Well, I still haven't changed my mind about making them to sell. Although I can work with fiberglass it's not something I really like to do all that much. I retired a few months ago and do have more time between makng intakes and soon our exhaust headers. For me to do another I'd have to charge maybe $150 and that would be one that you would have to do the finial fineshing. IE add any filler and sand etc. For anyone close enough to Fredericksburg area of Virginia, the offer still stands to come and use my molds for free.

Ahh... spring HAS sprung! Been waiting patiently all winter. Wonder how much it would cost to ship to west coast? What are the dimensions of the finished product ready to ship (e.g. finished as described above... ready for final finishing)?

------------------
FierOmar

PFF
System Bot
Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2006 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
Shouldnt cost too much to ship, it's bulky but not very heavy. As for the fineshing, it may have some small air holes that i will fill and leave for you to sand and you can drill the mounting holes etc. The mold is made so that the good side is up, the top that you'll see and thus comes out quite nice. On mine I added some more glass to get the underside to smoother. You dont have to do that, but its looks better when you open the trunk that way. Also for yours I will be using the standard fiberglass matting you buy to do say boat repairs. With mine I used that to build it up and the very exspensive close weave stuff as the base. If it dont turn out to be too big a deal, maybe I'll make a few more, but somehow I dont think I will. Seems everyone that wants one is too far to come use my mold.

FriendGregory

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2007 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendGregorySend a Private Message to FriendGregoryDirect Link to This Post
Hi Franis, did you make this a "product" yet?
How much? I also like the one that uses the engine bulge to make a scoop.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/072597.html

antinull.com

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2007 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for antinull.comSend a Private Message to antinull.comDirect Link to This Post
anyone know if he still has the mold or made duplicates? i like the way this one looks
FierociousGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2007 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierociousGTSend a Private Message to FierociousGTDirect Link to This Post
May want to look at this one...
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/064185.html

Very aggressive.
Fieroseverywhere

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2007 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereDirect Link to This Post
It looks great!

My question is how does it change the handling? I would think it would make it more stable at higher speeds. Is this the case?
Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2007 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
1st: I dont take my car over 100 often enough to notice any handling change, seems fine to me.

2nd: Dont want to make a product of it, not too crazy about working with Fiberglass. BEsides what with making our intakes and headers, if add that thing, I never to get play golf.

3rd: I still have the buck and anyone can come over and use it, just dont expect me to do much more than smile at you. I will loan out long distance with a deposit. It did take a while to make.

4th: I kind of like the one I made for our 87GT too, and it was simpler (my 87GT build)

Oh, I'm going to make something else (not a scoop per say) much smaller out of Fiberglass that I will sell if works out and people want them. Yes, it will be another love/hate thing.

------------------
[IMG]

Trueleo.com/fiero.htm
RSpiderII@aol.com

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery