Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Thoughts on high temp painting of an alternator?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Thoughts on high temp painting of an alternator? by F-I-E-R-O
Started on: 03-24-2007 08:46 PM
Replies: 11
Last post by: Raydar on 03-26-2007 03:47 AM
F-I-E-R-O

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2007 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F-I-E-R-OSend a Private Message to F-I-E-R-ODirect Link to This Post
I'm replacing my alternator and plan on painting the brackets that hold it together. I'm curious if anyone has painted their alternator, if it's a bad idea, or just a silly one? You won't hurt my feelings... well, maybe just a little if you're really mean about it...

------------------

My Fiero Store
My eBay Fiero Store featuring the Modern Fiero Badge replacements

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
3084me

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2007 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3084meSend a Private Message to 3084meDirect Link to This Post

I've seen them powder coated and think they look pretty cool. (Obviously you have to bake it while it's taken apart).

I think they look pretty interesting painted. Just my .02

------------------
I'm not driving too fast, . . . I'm flying too low.

Xanth

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2007 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthDirect Link to This Post
There's a shop nearby sells chromed alternators, so painting them couldn't be all that bad. As long as its done well I imagine it could look good as well.

------------------
www.FieroDomain.com
Over 120 Fiero Links, Articles, Images, Diagnostics

"If any car is both the parade and the rain, it is the Fiero"

F-I-E-R-O

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2007 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F-I-E-R-OSend a Private Message to F-I-E-R-ODirect Link to This Post
I'm beginning to reconsider painting the alternator bracket after cleaning it up a bit...

I'll have to stop by Home Depot tomorrow to pick up wire brush for my Dremel to get into the nooks and crannies. At least for this part I'm thinking a high temp clear coat. While I'm going this far, I might as well look into getting a polishing wheel for the grinder to get an even high polish on the bracket. The other brackets that were originally black, I think I'll repaint them high gloss black. Regarding the chrome alternator, I'd hate to worry about pitting- seems my luck with chrome isn't all that great. Why do engines have to get dirty?

Chrome would be nice though...

Before I can even consider something like that, I have a lot of work to do in that engine bay to justify putting it in there...
tjm4fun

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 141
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2007 04:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tjm4funSend a Private Message to tjm4funDirect Link to This Post
Well, if you give up on polishing all thos nooks and crannies, the rustoleum high temp silver BBQ paint makes a nice powdered aluminum finish. works well on the alt case also. Paint is made for direct application to aluminum.

Gokart

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2007 08:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartDirect Link to This Post
Spray painting the alternator probably wouldn't be a good idea because if you got any paint in the vents I'm sure it would wreck havoc with the brushes/motor, etc. What you can do is what I did in my previous Fiero. I painted it by hand with a small brush and high heat stove paint. Looked nice and maybe even kept some of the heat off it.

[This message has been edited by Gokart (edited 03-25-2007).]

vortecfiero

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2007 09:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for vortecfieroClick Here to visit vortecfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to vortecfieroDirect Link to This Post
Im not sure but I think if you paint the or coat the alternator case it may not
shed heat as well as just being bare aluminum.
From what Ive seen.. cool alternators generate closer to their rated amps
than hot ones

------------------

87 Fiero GT 5sp with Vortec L35 4300 Turbocharged V6
Bully Stage 2 clutch
Syclone intake manifold and engine management with Moates adapter and chip burner
Air/water intercooler and Devil's Own progressive water/alky injection
50lb injectors, 3 bar map sensor, Walboro fuel pump and Jabasco Intercooler pump
LM1 wideband on custom manifolds and 3" stainless exhaust system
T31/T04B S4 turbo with a Super T61 in the box
S10 caliper conversion.
Murphy's Constant Matter will be damaged in direct proportion to its value
Murphy's Law of Thermodynamics Things get worse under pressure.
Arthur C. Clarke "Any significantly advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"

dreyko

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2007 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dreykoSend a Private Message to dreykoDirect Link to This Post
ive done it twice on my rx7 and had no problems, i also taped it off and mainted it while it was together. there are plates on springs in the rx7 alternator that are a pain to fix if taken apart, id assume the fiero would be the same. but yes it can be done
F-I-E-R-O

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2007 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F-I-E-R-OSend a Private Message to F-I-E-R-ODirect Link to This Post
I stopped at the local Advanced Auto and picked up a gasket kit for the intake so I guess this is going to turn into a larger project! As long as I'm fooling around, I might as well get some of that high temp silver paint and clean up the water pump1 I'm not crazy about taking it off, not that it looks to be too hard to do, but if I'm going this far I might as well go to town... Off to Lowes for some paint!
Hurricane

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2007 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HurricaneSend a Private Message to HurricaneDirect Link to This Post
if youre going that far, id highly recommend replacing it, rather than paint the old one.
F-I-E-R-O

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2007 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F-I-E-R-OSend a Private Message to F-I-E-R-ODirect Link to This Post
I was told that the one on there was new, but I could look into finding a chrome one... Hmmmmmmmmm...
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2007 03:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
If you paint your alternator or brackets, just recognize that the alternator gets its ground through the bracket and block.
Anywhere that the parts touch, or wherever a bolt head contacts, should not be painted.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock