coil spring help by slinger
Started on: 07-23-2007 07:47 PM
Replies: 5
Last post by: slinger on 07-25-2007 10:26 PM
slinger

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2007 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for slingerSend a Private Message to slingerDirect Link to This Post
k i have the front coil spring out of the car and i cant seem to get it back in, i have tried two differnt spring compressers and both will not work. what other methods has anyone else tried??
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
slinger

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2007 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for slingerSend a Private Message to slingerDirect Link to This Post
no one?
turboguy327

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2007 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for turboguy327Send a Private Message to turboguy327Direct Link to This Post
almost stand on the lower control arm to push it down as far as possible. I used a crowbar inside a coil and bent it down inside the bump stop on the lower control arm. be careful because if something slips bad things happen. Are you using lowering springs or stock springs?
StockGT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2007 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for StockGTSend a Private Message to StockGTDirect Link to This Post
I have used "coil spring clamps" when installing poly bushings about ten years ago. They work like U-bolts to pull two adjacent coils together.
Not a real spring compressor, but it pulled the spring together so I could wedge it back in place.
Think of your safety when working with springs, watch were your place your fingers.
You may want to check if your local autoparts store has a loaner spring compressor.

Link to picture of spring clamps -- http://www.sfxperformance.c...ng~Clamps/page_1.htm
James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2007 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post
It's fairly simple.Go to Home Depo and get some 1\16 gage Vinal coverd cable (green) 9ft in length (the vinal coating helps keep the cable from slipping).They do carrey the 1\8 inch gage (vinal coated clear) but it's thicker and harder to work with.The 1\16 will work fine and wont break, because your going to be looping the cable about 6 times and this will make the cable even stronger.I just measured the cable length and I had baught two, 9 ft lengths of 1\16 inch grean vinal coated cable.Yea,I know it's a little long but your going to need a 16 inches extra to tie the end off on the right and left side of each coil.when your done and your going to loop the cable twice on each coil (once on the right and once on the left,you will need two 9 ft lengths of cable) .Be sure to compress the coils as best you can,because you don't want the cables going slack,otherwise you'll have to probubly do it over again if the cables move.When finished you can try and remove the cables with a pry bar or cut them off with wire cutters (it's much easyer to just cut the cables off). I installed my coils this way and didn't have much of any problems.Be sure to grease the chassie while you have the car up in the air.You might want to replace the ruber grease seals while you have the car apart.Wait for pics to load........

slinger

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2007 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for slingerSend a Private Message to slingerDirect Link to This Post
thanks guys, james bond i think i will try that. i have the auto zone compressers just like in your pics but theres no way its getting into the car with the clamps on. i was thinking about takeing the a arm off and just jackin the arm and spring up then bolting the arm in but that idea flew away relly quick

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock