Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  heim jointed end links and outer tie rods?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

heim jointed end links and outer tie rods? by mnstrfiero
Started on: 08-18-2007 06:20 PM
Replies: 7
Last post by: Steven Snyder on 08-21-2007 08:26 PM
mnstrfiero

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2007 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mnstrfieroSend a Private Message to mnstrfieroDirect Link to This Post
just curious to know if any one has any idea if we can get ours hands on heim jointed front/rear outer tie rods as well as end links? I would assume that the outer tie rods would make for a much more accurate steering/suspension geometry?

from what i understand, West Coast Fiero does offer heim jointed end links for the front sway bar, but i just haven't really seen anything else or any other vendor that offers components like these?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
ray b

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2007 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ray bSend a Private Message to ray bDirect Link to This Post
heim joints are a race ONLY APPLICATION
THEY ARE COSTLY AND WARE OUT QUICKLY

------------------
Question wonder and be wierd
are you kind?

mnstrfiero

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2007 01:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mnstrfieroSend a Private Message to mnstrfieroDirect Link to This Post
they are costly and ware out quickly? well cost is usually variable with application. it seems like (Grass roots magazine) has a few vendors (usually listed in the back) that have universal heim joints that anyone can purchase and adapt to their application. I have not taken the time to research this thuroughly, but i am sure they are reasonably priced. the only reason this sounds appealing is because i see it as a "bump steer" correctional tool (at least in the mustang world).

I can't imagine the outter tie rods getting a serious amount of abuse, enough to ware out a heim joint any sooner than a stock replacement outter tie rod?

how do you feel about the end-links for the sway bar from WCF then?

Ken_86gt

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2007 09:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Ken_86gtSend a Private Message to Ken_86gtDirect Link to This Post
Using the heim joints will not fix bump steer suspension issues on 84-87 fiero's unless the existing parts are worn out. The joints don't last as long because they are not sealed to the weather. As for sway bar use, yes it will wear out. But in this case it is accepted because the performance of the other type of connectors with rubber or poly are not as precise, but fine for non performance production auto's. You can find them on Ebay, cheap, all of the time.
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2007 08:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
you can put bellows, or even wrap duct tape around the heim joints.
but, heim jointed tie rods? are you actually trying to solve a problem, or just like throwing money at your car??

jstricker

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 370
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2007 09:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post
To answer your question, RCC has their bump steer correction kit that includes some adapters to move the inner tie rod pivot point, two new tie rods with heim joints on the inside and regular tie rod ends on the outside. Actually, now that I remember it, I believe you use your existing tie rod ends (or buy new) on the outside.

There are a couple of issues with the kit, though. The adapters really should be welded in instead of just bolted in. Their joints are not the best quality and DO wear out relatively quickly. There are better joints available from several places (Speedway motors, for one, Pegasus Racing for another).

Do a search in Tech (probably archives) for a discussion Will and I had on the RCC Kit. It does what they claim, but to make it "right" you have to finish what they started.

John Stricker

PS: a standard tie rod end is not loose if it's in servicable condition and you're not going to make anything more precise just by changing from Ball type joints to Heim joints.

Originally posted by mnstrfiero:

just curious to know if any one has any idea if we can get ours hands on heim jointed front/rear outer tie rods as well as end links? I would assume that the outer tie rods would make for a much more accurate steering/suspension geometry?

from what i understand, West Coast Fiero does offer heim jointed end links for the front sway bar, but i just haven't really seen anything else or any other vendor that offers components like these?

megafreakindeth

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2007 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for megafreakindethSend a Private Message to megafreakindethDirect Link to This Post
if you looked at bmw and mercedes which use ball joints protected by teflon, dustboots, and grease youll c they go bad frequently. running exposed heim joints will only go bad faster between potholes and just plain contamination.
Steven Snyder

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2007 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderDirect Link to This Post
The stock tie rods are solid ball joints. There is no deflection there. Heim joints will offer no benefit; rather they will just wear out faster and be more work to install.

You would see a benefit from replacing the control arm bushings with heim joints though. Get greaseable ones with dust covers. You get what you pay for; $10 heim joints wont make it even a year on the street. Get Aurora or NMB bearings, and don't get the economy ones. Expect to pay $50+ each. If they are less than that they're probably junk.
Note that you can't do this on the front of an 84-87 Fiero because the upper and/or lower control arm bushings are not collinear. Using heim joints would just cause it to bind up solid. You'd have to tweak the geometry to get it to work. I don't know about the rear. On an 88 this isn't a problem at all because the bushings are on the same axis for each control arm.

[This message has been edited by Steven Snyder (edited 08-21-2007).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock