Started on: 08-22-2007 01:50 PM
Replies: 20
Last post by: jstntlvr on 08-24-2007 09:41 AM
RideZiLightning

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2007 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RideZiLightningSend a Private Message to RideZiLightningDirect Link to This Post
3.0l DOHC VVT Twin Turbo. These are the motors in the 300zx. You can get em on ebay w/ turbos, all acessories, wiring and ecu for $1500 shipped, all w/ 45-50k.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot...dZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

The turbos are located right next to the bellhousing so there should be lots of room for piping. I'd need to make an adapter for the trans, run the intercooler piping, make the mounts, wire the thing and boom, 300hp and 283tq. I have the NA version at home in my j30, and its just a little narrower than the 3.4dohc.

Ya, it's a Nissan motor but eh
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
RideZiLightning

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2007 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RideZiLightningSend a Private Message to RideZiLightningDirect Link to This Post
This is in the wrong section isn't it
jstntlvr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2007 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jstntlvrClick Here to visit jstntlvr's HomePageSend a Private Message to jstntlvrDirect Link to This Post
it should probably be in general but hay I like the idea I say run with it after all it only takes a little work to hit 4 or 500HP with the VG ofcors you will have overheating issues just like in the Z32

you will need a Fairlady plate for the deck lid or NISMO
RideZiLightning

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2007 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RideZiLightningSend a Private Message to RideZiLightningDirect Link to This Post
Nobody else thinks this is interesting?
Zac88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2007 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Zac88GTClick Here to visit Zac88GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to Zac88GTDirect Link to This Post
It would be cool but there are much easier ways to get 300hp. *cough* northstar *cough*
AquaHusky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2007 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AquaHuskySend a Private Message to AquaHuskyDirect Link to This Post
Dropping a N* in isn't all that easy I thought. Don't you have to cut up the engine compartment to fit the really wide tophalf, which is still a tight fit anyway? If you don't have to cut the car up to fit a VG and the hardest part is making a harness for the engine, I can see this being easier, as long as you don't run an auto trans. If anything, this could be as easy as a SBC swap.
InaneCathode

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2007 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for InaneCathodeSend a Private Message to InaneCathodeDirect Link to This Post
That's a fantastic find dude, compact powerful engine including the all the electrical for that little is amazing. If i was in the market for a swap i'd be all over that!
Zac88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2007 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Zac88GTClick Here to visit Zac88GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to Zac88GTDirect Link to This Post
The northstar swap really isn't that hard. There is a little cutting but not very much. Only took me 5 weeks of working on it between college and work to finish.
RideZiLightning

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2007 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RideZiLightningSend a Private Message to RideZiLightningDirect Link to This Post
The turbos are at 9psi stock and max out at 18, so throw some more fuel, a tune, and a new intercooler and you should be alittle upwards of 400hp
RideZiLightning

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2007 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RideZiLightningSend a Private Message to RideZiLightningDirect Link to This Post

RideZiLightning

1540 posts
Member since Jul 2006
Don't forget, ebay intercoolers are just as good as any spearco fmic, and a large one will never really be more than $200.
Unsafe At Any Speed

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 315
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2007 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Unsafe At Any SpeedSend a Private Message to Unsafe At Any SpeedDirect Link to This Post
There are so many "I'm going to put this engine in a Fiero" posts and they rarely (if ever) actually happen. If you do it, though, post tons of pics.

------------------

My Build Thread

PFF
System Bot
RideZiLightning

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2007 04:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RideZiLightningSend a Private Message to RideZiLightningDirect Link to This Post
I know, there are ALOT of these kind of threads. I'm just having a hard time deciding whether I want it in the 944 or the Formula. I already have a 3.4dohc Formula and a 3.8sc GT so its a hard decision. I'd really like to see someone do it though. It's a great motor with a big aftermarket and except for the '96(worst year, no vvt) they are all obd1 of course, so wiring and tuning would be a snap.
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2007 10:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
Good luck putting it in a FWD config. I dont think I have even seen the crazy honda guys try this.
p8ntman442

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2007 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for p8ntman442Click Here to visit p8ntman442's HomePageSend a Private Message to p8ntman442Direct Link to This Post
talk to zedder24 he has a 4g63 fiero tranny on the left and all.
AquaHusky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2007 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AquaHuskySend a Private Message to AquaHuskyDirect Link to This Post
Something just occurd to me... Last I remembered, Nissan used the same bellhousing patterns between all engines for the most part. I say this cuz the 510 guys are dropping SR20DETTs into the little cars from the SE-R Sentra's and bolting them up to the 5 speeds from the Z30/Z31 Z cars. So, in essence, you could use the FWD trans from a Sentra if you can engineer some way to shift it.
Erik

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2007 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post
why not use a 3000GT VR4 TT V6 with a standard 3000GT trans as its transverse setup and you still get the turbos ..I have seen them on ebay for 1200

[This message has been edited by Erik (edited 08-23-2007).]

RideZiLightning

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2007 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RideZiLightningSend a Private Message to RideZiLightningDirect Link to This Post
I don't like the idea of having to deal with axles or I would use another trans. An adapter plate can be made pretty danged easily, I made mine for my 944 w/ 350.
RideZiLightning

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2007 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RideZiLightningSend a Private Message to RideZiLightningDirect Link to This Post

RideZiLightning

1540 posts
Member since Jul 2006
I've seem the 4g63t Fiero. I've had many dsms, I'm not lookin to tinker with that motor anymore.
Chris_72

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2007 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_72Send a Private Message to Chris_72Direct Link to This Post
I like the idea...I own a 1986 Fiero GT and a 1990 Nissan 300ZX TT and I know that the Nissan has some serious power without any mods, while the Fiero uuuhhhh.... needs a solid kick in the a$$ to get moving. I think the gearing in the Fiero transmission would be great for the high-revving Nissan motor, but as mentioned above, this motor runs SUPER HOT!!! I can't even touch the intake manifold on the Nissan after driving for only 10 min - you would need a big rad on the car. Also the Nissan VG30DETT is a very wide motor. Good luck with this project... I hope it works for you!

Check out the Nissan @
http://i171.photobucket.com...ZX%20TT/S4020556.jpg
And the poor little Fiero that needs lots of love @
http://i171.photobucket.com.../Fiero2frontpass.jpg
Chris_72

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2007 12:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_72Send a Private Message to Chris_72Direct Link to This Post
"why not use a 3000GT VR4 TT V6 with a standard 3000GT trans as its transverse setup and you still get the turbos ..I have seen them on ebay for 1200"
Erik, most people don't like these motors because parts are rare (more so then the VG30DETT) and failure is imminent. I have had a Dodge Stealth TT and a Mitsu GTO on the stealth I spun a rod bearing, @ 38,000mi and the Mitsu ground its internals apart somehow at 77,000mi. So far the Nissan has 156,000mi and is only starting to whine a little from the differential…the motor is bulletproof!
jstntlvr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2007 09:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jstntlvrClick Here to visit jstntlvr's HomePageSend a Private Message to jstntlvrDirect Link to This Post
The SR20DET has FWD and RWD application already and I know the RB engines have totally different tranies than the SR so I don't think bell housings for Nissan's are universal but they are close as allot of the engines are used cross platform by NISMO and other tuners. If I remember correctly tho the SR and the VG use the same RWD trans so the FWD from the sentra may work but as stated above it would probably be easier to make an adapter than to try to make a axle combo that works

ofcors the Nissan trans is probably stronger and will hold up to the potential of the VG better especially the GTi-R trans converted to 2wd
PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock