3400SFI LA1 swap question by Bridgetown
Started on: 01-23-2008 09:47 PM
Replies: 32
Last post by: Bridgetown on 01-29-2008 07:47 PM
Bridgetown

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2008 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BridgetownSend a Private Message to BridgetownDirect Link to This Post
Is swaping the acessories and belt system from the 2.8v6 a direct bolt on to the FWD 3400 LA1? I know that on fierosound's web site it was but he used the 2.8 top end on the 3400 block. Would it still bolt up if you used the 3400 top end?

http://www.fierosound.com/34engine/3400details.htm

This is fierosound's site
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Joseph Upson

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2008 07:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonDirect Link to This Post
merlot566jka

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2008 08:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for merlot566jkaSend a Private Message to merlot566jkaDirect Link to This Post
nope, wont work as easy as you think.

joseph and I are the two who have swapped the newer version engines...you can do it with the whole 3400, accessories and all, just have to notch the decklid.

ive got the 3500, hes running a twin turbo 3900
Bridgetown

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2008 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BridgetownSend a Private Message to BridgetownDirect Link to This Post
Can you relocate the alternator to the a/c pump location to clear the decklid? I think this has been done on the 3100 swaps. I am not going to run a/c on my car.
Tigger II

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2008 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tigger IISend a Private Message to Tigger IIDirect Link to This Post
I'm running a 3400 LA1 / 5 speed combo without air. The early 3100 blocks had a cast iron bracket for holding A/C that can be easily modified to hold an older alternator on the side of a the 3400 block. You won't have to notch the deck lid or modify the engine bay. I have pictures but forget how to post them.
Joseph Upson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2008 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonDirect Link to This Post
You can relocate the alternator to either side of the engine low level with extra effort and creativity. I just preferred the easy access of it being right up top if I ever have a problem with it.
Bridgetown

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2008 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BridgetownSend a Private Message to BridgetownDirect Link to This Post
With the alternator relocated or not what are you guys useing to brace the engine up top. I figured with the alternator relocated it would be easier to mount the dogbone brace. Pictures would be nice to see what setups you guys have. Relocated alternators/belt routing and dogbone braces; would be awsome to see some pics of. Also wondering what the simplest setup for engine management/wireing would be.
Bridgetown

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2008 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BridgetownSend a Private Message to BridgetownDirect Link to This Post

Bridgetown

1210 posts
Member since Feb 2007

Originally posted by Tigger II:

I have pictures but forget how to post them.

I use this to post pics.
http://www.dropfiles.net/account.php?action=login
Just create an account, upload your pics. Copy the IMG tagged filename after you've uploaded your pic. Then paste the link into your post.
Bridgetown

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2008 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BridgetownSend a Private Message to BridgetownDirect Link to This Post

Bridgetown

1210 posts
Member since Feb 2007
Oh snap! Forgot to ask, can a set of Fiero headers be fitted to the 3400/3500 gen III heads? I'm thinking elongateing the flange holes would probably be needed at the least. I was hopeing to use headers for the 2.8v6 for easy exhaust routing. Possible?
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2008 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bridgetown:

Oh snap! Forgot to ask, can a set of Fiero headers be fitted to the 3400/3500 gen III heads? I'm thinking elongateing the flange holes would probably be needed at the least. I was hopeing to use headers for the 2.8v6 for easy exhaust routing. Possible?

The answer to your question is yes. BUT it is not a good idea. The heads on gen III have HUGE exhaust ports. The Fiero has tiny ports. I needed a V6 to hold me over till I got my V8 ready to drop in. I refuse to use any more 2.8's so I picked up a 3100SFI to drop in temporarily. I used the ENTIRE stock Fiero V6 exhaust system on the 3100 SFI. I used the 3100 SFI exhaust gaskets and Fiero V6 gaskets and even put the 3100 heat shields around the Fiero exhaust manifolds. Ran great for several years. I never got around to the V8 swap.

------------------

Bridgetown

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2008 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BridgetownSend a Private Message to BridgetownDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, never thaught about the difference in port size. Not much point in swaping over better flowing 3500 heads only to choke them out with tiny exhaust headers. Probably just end up porting the 3400 manifolds then. Rickady, do you have pics of your belt routing/dogbone setup you use don your 3100?
PFF
System Bot
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2008 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
No pics. But I used the Fiero 2.8 dog bone set up and adapted it to the 3100. I relocated the Alt down the the 2.8 location. Turned the fuel rail 180* so the in and out were closer to the Fiero loaction.
Joseph Upson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2008 02:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonDirect Link to This Post

I use this to post pics.
http://www.dropfiles.net/account.php?action=login
Just create an account, upload your pics. Copy the IMG tagged filename after you've uploaded your pic. Then paste the link into your post.

It's nicer to post your pictures directly in the thread using the PIP image poster setup for the forum so they come up with the thread whenever it is accessed without the hassle of having to click through each one. There are some excellent how to threads on this forum that have been made worthless because links to pictures posted elsewhere have gone dead,

My engine is solid mounted, so no dogbone is necessary, the engine also comes stock with a 100k accessory belt so it's a good idea to avoid doing anything to loose that advantage. I'm kind of resistant to custom options where ever possible so that if a repair is needed I will not be stuck for a while if far from home or the proper special tools like a welder for instance.

I told merlot that in comparing the video of his 3500 V6 run to AJ's video of a few of his Northstar V8 runs that his 3500 car appears to be faster from a visual aspect inside the car eventhough AJ's car chirps the tires in the 1-2 shift. The 730 ecm is a nice and easy piece of equipment to have available to run swaps.
Tigger II

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2008 02:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tigger IISend a Private Message to Tigger IIDirect Link to This Post
Heres my first PIP test flight
Bridgetown

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2008 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BridgetownSend a Private Message to BridgetownDirect Link to This Post
By the looks of that pic, your alternator is still in the stock location.
Bridgetown

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2008 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BridgetownSend a Private Message to BridgetownDirect Link to This Post

Bridgetown

1210 posts
Member since Feb 2007

Originally posted by Joseph Upson:

My engine is solid mounted, so no dogbone is necessary, the engine also comes stock with a 100k accessory belt so it's a good idea to avoid doing anything to loose that advantage. I'm kind of resistant to custom options where ever possible so that if a repair is needed I will not be stuck for a while if far from home or the proper special tools like a welder for instance.

I would be interested in more info/pics on your solid mount setup.
Bridgetown

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2008 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BridgetownSend a Private Message to BridgetownDirect Link to This Post

Bridgetown

1210 posts
Member since Feb 2007

The 730 ecm is a nice and easy piece of equipment to have available to run swaps.

What harness did you use with the 730 ecm? I haven't figured out what the best/simplest combo for the harness/ecm would be.
Tigger II

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2008 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tigger IISend a Private Message to Tigger IIDirect Link to This Post
Heres the alternator and bracket
Tigger II

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2008 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tigger IISend a Private Message to Tigger IIDirect Link to This Post

Tigger II

34 posts
Member since May 2004
I'll try it again

Joseph Upson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2008 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonDirect Link to This Post

What harness did you use with the 730 ecm? I haven't figured out what the best/simplest combo for the harness/ecm would be.

Are you kidding Bridgetown? There's a 730 thread a "mile" long covering how to re-pin the stock Fiero harness to run a DIS ignition system. It's even sweeter if you are going to swap to an aluminum head motor because you can start with the Beretta 3.1 L code and tune much easier from there if you are swapping to a larger engine. The solid mount shouldn't be an issue for you because I used the 6 spd transmission for my swap which required custom mounts, you will not need them if you are using a Fiero transmission. The alternator mount for the 3500 and 3900 is a much lighter and less bulky piece than the bracket that fits on TIgger II's engine, his motor looks nice on the cradle though.
Tigger II

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2008 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tigger IISend a Private Message to Tigger IIDirect Link to This Post
Some nice 3400SFI's

Nice headers on this Malibu concept.

Concept supercharger that almost made it to production.

This ones actually a 3100/Auto in a Fiero that inspired me to do my 3400/Stick combo. I met him a year later at the Fiero show in Pontiac, Michigan.

PFF
System Bot
Bridgetown

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2008 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BridgetownSend a Private Message to BridgetownDirect Link to This Post
So you are just replaceing the rubber portion of the mounts with a solid material?
Joseph Upson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2008 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonDirect Link to This Post
No, the tranny mounts look nothing like stock mounts and are made from plate metal. The front engine mount is the metal double studded metal insert that is surrounded by rubber material inside the front engine mount, that was reinforced after the already rotted rubber was removed, then put back in place pretty much the same as it would fit in normal construction.
Bridgetown

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2008 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BridgetownSend a Private Message to BridgetownDirect Link to This Post
Wow. I can't beleive I missed that thread on the 730 ecm! Is it really that simple? Would the Baretta 3.1 ecm run my 3400 with the 3500 topend conversion and 3.4 iron head pistons, or would I need to get it reprogramed?
Joseph Upson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2008 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonDirect Link to This Post

Wow. I can't beleive I missed that thread on the 730 ecm! Is it really that simple? Would the Baretta 3.1 ecm run my 3400 with the 3500 topend conversion and 3.4 iron head pistons, or would I need to get it reprogramed?

For starters yes it will as long as you compensate by using the appropriate fuel delivery by adjusting the injector size or fuel pressure or both. The Beretta code is for 16 lb/hr injectors so you would want to move up a bit from there to I'm guessing about 19 lb/hr injectors, then fine tune from there. The aluminum head 3.4 injectors will likely be to much since the pulse duration in the 3.1 code will likely allow too much fuel to flow through them (~23 lb/hr) without an adjustment to the code. The harness is not that difficult to do.
Bridgetown

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2008 12:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BridgetownSend a Private Message to BridgetownDirect Link to This Post
So let me get this straight. I can adapt my 2.8v6 harness to use the 730 ecm and run the baretta 3.1 code to run my 3400/3500 hybrid? So I won't need to get the harness from the 3400? Just the 730 and the connectors and the few extra wires I need? This will still run the 3400 under SFI though, right? I would like to keep it sequential.
Bridgetown

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2008 12:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BridgetownSend a Private Message to BridgetownDirect Link to This Post

Bridgetown

1210 posts
Member since Feb 2007
BTW thanks Joseph. I was hopeing that I could find someone like you who has done this swap before. I really can't understand why these engines aren't more popular for Fiero swaps? You have already been a big help. And thanks to all the others who posted aswell. The more info I can gather the better.
Joseph Upson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2008 06:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonDirect Link to This Post

So let me get this straight. I can adapt my 2.8v6 harness to use the 730 ecm and run the baretta 3.1 code to run my 3400/3500 hybrid? So I won't need to get the harness from the 3400? Just the 730 and the connectors and the few extra wires I need? This will still run the 3400 under SFI though, right? I would like to keep it sequential.

Almost correct, you can and should use the Fiero harness because it's easier, however you will not be able to keep it SFI since you would need to run a different computer that supports it. Although there is some benefit to SFI I do believe it is only below about 3000 rpm since above that the system switches to batch fire which you have now. Do you need it for good mileage and performance, nope. Running an SFI computer may complicate things a bit more because I believe they all require a Mass Air Flow sensor in addition to the cam position sensor and possibly some other signal inputs from items you don't have on a Fiero which could make tuning a little more of a headache.

I'm all for keeping it as simple as possible in this area because I need to be able to tackle an engine management problem if miles away from home. Those who have watched me labor with the 3900 swap are familiar with how two common sensors on seperate visits home prevented me from performing a definitive test drive because of how circumstances made them difficult to find. The ecm does not always set a code for a bad sensor that can make the car run poorly; MAP, or not at all; CPS. Events leading up to moments like that can turn you away from the culprit for days which is what happened to me both times.

merlot566jka can provide better info on the actual swap than I can because his is closest to what you are planning to do. I performed two swaps at the same time with the engine and transmission and if you count the turbos three and that came with its on headaches.
EMX5636

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2008 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for EMX5636Send a Private Message to EMX5636Direct Link to This Post
To answer the first post... Yes you can still use the Fiero timing cover and all accessory brackets on the 3x00 engines. You still need to mod/make a custom dogbone bracket. I did this on mine. I'll try to find the link, If I can't I'll post up some pics here... You only need to mod a couple things to bolt the fiero cover to the 3400. Drill a couple holes a slightly bigger diameter. and grind of a tab or two.

Justin W

edit-my second pic in this post (approx 3/4 way down) shows an above view of it in my fiero. 180* rotated plenums, fiero front cover and belt setup. Modded/custom dogbone bracket to rear head and stock fiero location... Mind you that was still in the install process, but you get the idea. I'll find a few pics on my comp, of the engine out of the car...
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/083818.html

------------------
1988 Fiero Formula 4-spd- 3400sfi custom turbo install with a 60-1. Haltech ECU. Here comes 300+whp
1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX - under the knife
1992 S10 2wd - lowered longbed, bike/quad hauler, dd
1995 Kawi Ninja zx7r
2003 Honda 440ex
1986 Kawi Ninja 600R - for sale-cheap project
1987 Yamaha Warrior - for sale

[This message has been edited by EMX5636 (edited 01-26-2008).]

Bridgetown

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2008 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BridgetownSend a Private Message to BridgetownDirect Link to This Post

you can start with the Beretta 3.1 L code and tune much easier from there if you are swapping to a larger engine.

What year of baretta would be best?
Joseph Upson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2008 06:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonDirect Link to This Post
I believe the range starts around 89 especially if you use the Turbo Grand Prix code and goes up to 92 so 90-91 for certain.
PFF
System Bot
Tigger II

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2008 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tigger IISend a Private Message to Tigger IIDirect Link to This Post
Please check your PM's
Bridgetown

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2008 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BridgetownSend a Private Message to BridgetownDirect Link to This Post
PM returned

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock