How do you get at the subframe bolts? by MordacP
Started on: 04-30-2008 10:38 PM
Replies: 8
Last post by: MordacP on 05-02-2008 03:45 AM
MordacP

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2008 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MordacPSend a Private Message to MordacPDirect Link to This Post
After breaking multiple sockets and trying the strongest impact I could get, I have decided that my subframe bolts are gonna need ore than elbow grease to get loose. I want to know how to get to the top of the bolt. I illustrated my question :

What I plan on doing is making some kind of sponge or reservoir that I can just fill with PB blaster and let sit on top of the bolt for a night, keeping the penetrant where it needs to be so all of it will fall through the threads to loosen them. Aside from my first question, I'm also open to ideas on how to loosen these bolts.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Saxman

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2008 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post
You can spray throught the small holes in the frame - the holes for the plastic screws that hold the wheel liner in place.

You can also remove the rear clip to get access to set a sponge on top of the witchhat bolt in the frame.

Good luck!
86fierofun

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2008 01:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fierofunSend a Private Message to 86fierofunDirect Link to This Post
To give you a visual of what saxman said:

Green arrow from removing rear clip, orange through the holes. Green circle is the mount point of rear cradle for reference.
MordacP

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2008 03:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MordacPSend a Private Message to MordacPDirect Link to This Post
hard to see any detail in that picture, if you have a bigger one with the arrows can you send it to me?
MordacP

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2008 03:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MordacPSend a Private Message to MordacPDirect Link to This Post

MordacP

1300 posts
Member since Sep 2007

Originally posted by MordacP:

hard to see any detail in that picture, if you have a bigger one with the arrows can you send it to me?

86 fierofun, you have a PM
86fierofun

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2008 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fierofunSend a Private Message to 86fierofunDirect Link to This Post
I sent some pics your way. Hope this helps.
couldahadaV8

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2008 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for couldahadaV8Click Here to visit couldahadaV8's HomePageSend a Private Message to couldahadaV8Direct Link to This Post
I just removed mine by spraying some penetrating oil in through the little hole in the fender well; you can't really see anything, I just hosed it around. I don't know if this really helped at all, but I did get them out. Are you saying that the nut is spinning inside the frame, or that you can't even turn the bolt head? Mine certainly weren't too tight to turn, but one of them was starting to spin inside the frame. I undid the other 3 and lowered the cradle slightly to put a lot of load on the nut, to pull it well onto the frame; that gave it enough friction to get the bolt out. And this was a thoroughly rusted Canadian car.

Rick
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2008 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
I cut holes and weld them closed.... easy for me, might not be for the shade tree'r. I can get anything and everything on them to get them out this way, without screwing around.
MordacP

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2008 03:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MordacPSend a Private Message to MordacPDirect Link to This Post
My bolts just wont turn, period. I got all the info I need, thanks in large part to 86fierofrun, for sending a very large scan of those diagrams. You can all go now...... go on.......... nothing else to see here....................... move along..............................................................................

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock