Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Windshield wipers give a single wipe every time the car is started (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Windshield wipers give a single wipe every time the car is started by Patrick
Started on: 06-16-2008 03:29 AM
Replies: 49
Last post by: 2.5 on 06-27-2008 08:01 AM
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2008 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Just to double-check terms, is the "wiper switch" the mechanism that the turn-signal stalk sticks into?
Can I take the wiper switch from my '84 and put it in the '86?
Does the wiper switch from the '84 absolutely need to be from a "non-pulse" system to use in the '86?
If I can use the '84 wiper switch in the '86, do I also need to use the '84 wiper motor?

Sorry if the answers might seem obvious, but I don't want to be pulling steering columns apart unless I'm sure that the swap is possible.

Yes, the wiper switch is the thing in the column that the stalk plugs into, not the stalk itself.

The non-pulse 84 IS identical to the later model. Only the 84 pulse models are different and use a separate module and a lot of extra wires. The 85-88 pulse wipers use the same 4 wires so they are interchangeable with the 84 non-pulsed.
IP: Logged
topcat

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2008 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post
I had the ghost wipe on my 86 from the day I bought it - 2003. I changed the circuit board, and it seemed to fix it, only to come back a short time later. I finally bit the bullet and bought a wiper switch for an 88, put it in and it works great.

I got the switch for an 88 because the one for an 86 was over a hundred bucks... something like 180.00. the switch for an 88 was 35 bucks.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 464
Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2008 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

Yes, the wiper switch is the thing in the column that the stalk plugs into, not the stalk itself.

I've always associated the switch that the stalk plugs into with the turn signals. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't another switch (for the wipers) hidden somewhere in the steering column connected to the turn signal switch with mechanical linkages or something. Okay, it's all in one. Great!

The non-pulse 84 IS identical to the later model. Only the 84 pulse models are different and use a separate module and a lot of extra wires. The 85-88 pulse wipers use the same 4 wires so they are interchangeable with the 84 non-pulsed.

Gotcha, thanks very much!

For now I'll be able to use my workaround mentioned in my previous post, but it's good to know that I can use the switch from my '84 parts car when I've got a bit more time to start tearing down steering columns. Thanks again!

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 06-22-2008).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2008 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Patrick

37472 posts
Member since Apr 99

Originally posted by topcat:

I finally bit the bullet and bought a wiper switch for an 88, put it in and it works great.

I got the switch for an 88 because the one for an 86 was over a hundred bucks... something like 180.00. the switch for an 88 was 35 bucks.

Man, that difference in price is nuts, isn't it!
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2008 01:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

I've always associated the switch that the stalk plugs into with the turn signals. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't another switch (for the wipers) hidden somewhere in the steering column connected to the turn signal switch with mechanical linkages or something. Okay, it's all in one. Great!

Actually you have it backwards... the stalk plugs directly into the wiper switch, but the turn signal switch is a separate switch connected through mechanical linkages. The turn signal switch is right under the canceling cam/ Horn ring nearer to the steering wheel. That's how the turn signals can turn themselves off. the wiper switch is deeper in the column towards the firewall.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2008 02:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Actually you have it backwards...

Not a surprise. It's only going to make sense to me when I take a steering column apart and have a look in there for myself. Thanks for trying to clarify the situation for me though!

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2008 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

One more bit of info - When I first had a look at the wiper switch wiring in this car, I noticed the purple wire had been disconnected from the wiring harness. The purple wire is part of the high speed wiper control circuit. Not realizing why it might be disconnected, I reconnected it. Well, it turns out if I disconnect it again, that a switch on the white wire (which I had tapped into a couple of days ago) will now eliminate all phantom wipes. The only drawback is lack of high speed wipers, unless of course I tap a switch into the purple wire as well.

Dang it...

Cut me some slack because I'm not actually driving this car yet (just working on it), but the single phantom wipe still occurs when the car is first started if the car has been sitting for awhile. If the car has been recently started, it doesn't give the single phantom wipe. Yes, it’s probably the capacitors that are responsible for this particular nuisance.

Splicing in the switch on the white wire wasn't a total waste of time though, because at least there are now no phantom wipes when the turn signals are used. Thank goodness for small mercies.
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post06-26-2008 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post

Not a surprise. It's only going to make sense to me when I take a steering column apart and have a look in there for myself. Thanks for trying to clarify the situation for me though!

Here's a good writeup:

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/088020.html

JazzMan
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2008 05:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JazzMan:

Here's a good writeup:

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/088020.html

Yeah, the guy who wrote up that piece is pretty good.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2008 08:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post
Yep mine does it on startup sometimes, and sometimes when I turn on the right blinker too.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock