Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Whats a good thin air cleaner for an SBC swap?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Whats a good thin air cleaner for an SBC swap? by V8IndyProject
Started on: 12-02-2008 10:39 PM
Replies: 8
Last post by: Daniel on 12-03-2008 07:02 PM
V8IndyProject

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2008 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for V8IndyProjectSend a Private Message to V8IndyProjectDirect Link to This Post
I've been trying to find a nice thin air cleaner that will fit under the hood on my SBC. What have people used successfully? Thanks -Mark
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2008 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
I cut a hole for mine and will be putting a scoop on the back. But what I would have done is purchase a carb hat and mount the filter where the water separator is now.
Probably something like this

http://www.performancecarbu...ucts_stage.php?ID=10
garage monster

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2008 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for garage monsterSend a Private Message to garage monsterDirect Link to This Post
It depends on how much clearance you have. My sbc Archie V8 kit swap has an Edelbrock performer intake and Edelbrock carb. I first used their triangular air filter but 1 backfire burned a hole in the foam. I now have a small round Edelbrock filter. To see how much room you have, remove any filter hold down stud and set a piece of 2x4 on top of the carb. Now go to WalMart and get some kids modeling clay or a small tub of Play Dough. But a large ball of either on top of the 2x4 with a pice of plastic wrap on top. Now close the deck lid and open it. Measure the thickness of the wood and the clay and voila!

Now buy an air cleaner.

That said, I am changing to a remote mount, larger cone filter in the left intake area to take advantage of the cold air.
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2008 08:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Direct Link to This Post
On a notchback, just remove the PS decklid grill, shut the hood and stick your head in there and take a look. I dropped the engine down into the lowest holes on the front mount and made my own solid tranny mounts to get the whole drivetrain as low as I could. I used a Holley street dominator intake with a 600 CFM Holley carb and a 10" Holley air cleaner (got all three in a set from Northern Auto Parts). Fits perfect, but the filter gets dirty quickly.

------------------
1986 SE 350 V8

Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2008 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
try this

http://www.moroso.com/catal...ay.asp?catcode=34003

You can pick the same type up at any speed shop. They're referred to around here as "Corvette Air Cleaners" because they fit in tight places.

I use one with a K&N filter. Breaths beautifully.

Arn
Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2008 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post
I've used a 10" Edelbrock round signature series.
http://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/1208/10002/-1
Russ544

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 86
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2008 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Russ544Send a Private Message to Russ544Direct Link to This Post
I've had good luck with this one from Holly. I really hate chrome, so I've sandblasted the top and painted this one
being triangular, it clears the decklid braces very well. it's on an Edelbrock performer rpm manifold with street demon carb.

http://pic80.picturetrail.c...950682/105732380.jpg

Russ

[This message has been edited by Russ544 (edited 12-03-2008).]

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 259
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2008 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
I used an ATI/Procharger carb hat when mine was carbed:

Daniel

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2008 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanielClick Here to visit Daniel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanielDirect Link to This Post
The stock v-6 filter should work fine as it was installed on V-8 engines:
Early 1990's Pontiac Firebird with the 5.0 and 5.7 litre engines the flow through the can just needs some assistance.

If you would like to keep the air filter in the engine bay, while keeping a cold air line outside in 3" use a cavalier filter housing with some mods: more in https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/096287.html

And use a carb hat similar to what Jake_Dragon sugested.

Ditch the air intake muffler

I cut out the bracket that holds the filter can, and built a 120 degree elbow out of two tight 90 degree abs elbows. This elbow is more of a offset 95 degree elbow that is shifted towards the front of the car at the bottom. I also used a rubber gasket instead of the original cork

You could leave the stock bottom elbow in, and just remove the cross and glue the air can on, or use Rodney's cross

Some air filter oil is visible from on the filter gasket in this next picture.

I removed the bottom cross and made a insert out of 3” abs that can be seen in the next photo

if you do this the fuel evap can does not need to be moved, as you can adjust where the hose connects, however since i have a stock 2.8, I used the stock snorkel requiring the fuel vapour can to be moved.

------------------
1988 Fiero GT

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock