Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Will a factory PROM work properly with a missing pin?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Will a factory PROM work properly with a missing pin? by Patrick
Started on: 04-06-2009 05:50 PM
Replies: 11
Last post by: Patrick on 04-07-2009 12:28 AM
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 464
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2009 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Damn, I was putting the stock PROM back in my automatic ‘86 GT’s ECM and as soon as I placed the PROM in place on the carrier (before even snapping it into the carrier) I noticed one of the pins fold over. Of course as soon as I snapped the PROM into the carrier the pin came right off.

Is there any chance that the pin that snapped off is not used? It’s the pin which is third from the right on top when the carrier is mounted in the ECM (with the "notch" to the left.).

I haven’t tried starting the car yet, but when I jumped the two ALDL terminals to read the codes (with the engine not running), it appears to flash code 12, which is what we want to see. There’s a single long flash followed by two shorter flashes. However, when the two short flashes occur, the second of the two short flashes is much shorter than the first short flash. Is that normal?

This is frustrating. I had a local fella burn a custom EGR delete PROM last summer when the EGR tube cracked. I blocked off the cracked EGR tube and then used this custom PROM. Although the GT seems to run just fine, I’ve never been happy with the 14-15 MPG I’ve been getting since the EGR delete. So I've replaced the EGR tube and I wanted to put things back the way they were originally. I don’t know if running without an EGR and/or using this custom PROM is responsible for the terrible gas mileage, but the only way to find out for sure is to put it back to stock.

When the fella who burned the custom PROM changed the chips in my ECM, he had a helluva time getting the factory PROM out of the carrier. He must’ve accidently cracked the pin that broke off completely today. The same thing happened to one of the pins on the custom PROM when I took it out of the carrier this morning, so I can’t even put it back to run the car if the original PROM is ruined.

So, am I without a Fiero temporarily, or will this factory PROM still work properly with a missing pin (third from the right on top when the carrier is mounted in the ECM)?

I would REALLY appreciate a response form someone who’s very familiar with these PROMs. Thanks.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post04-06-2009 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
That's pin 15 (numbered counterclockwise from notch 1-24) and a datasheet shows that as a data in pin. Since that's only used when programming it shouldn't matter. But, I don't know for certain. Here's some info on the 2732A chip:

http://www.futurlec.com/Memory/2732A-250.shtml

Wish I could be of more help.

JazzMan
Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2009 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
No, that is a data ouput pin so your screwed if it's broken..
What are the #'s/letters on your chip I might have a copy of the prom...

[This message has been edited by Dodgerunner (edited 04-06-2009).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2009 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post
X marks the spot.

So which is it guys, Data in or out?

JazzMan's post made me hopeful, Dodgerunner's not so much

Rory, here's all the numbers/letters on the top of the chip:

Delco
FBA

014 B8602

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 04-06-2009).]

tjm4fun

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 141
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2009 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tjm4funSend a Private Message to tjm4funDirect Link to This Post
your screwed.
any part left on the chip? or did it break flush with the ceramic? if the fat part is still there you can solder on a new leg if you are somewhat skilled with a soldering iron. you can clip the replacement from any socketed chip, lay the flat on the old flat, an lightly solder it together, install back in the carrier and get the leg in place.
the q legs are the bidirectional data leads. the A legs are addressing.

[This message has been edited by tjm4fun (edited 04-06-2009).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2009 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tjm4fun:

your screwed.
any part left on the chip? or did it break flush with the ceramic?

Flush with the ceramic.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 04-07-2009).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2009 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Patrick

37341 posts
Member since Apr 99
< sigh >

I'm taking Frankie for a walk...

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 04-07-2009).]

JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post04-06-2009 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
If you're trying to salvage the data from the chip you can mess around with the silver trace repair compounds to get an electrical connection with a fine piece of wire jumpered into the socket in place of the pin, otherwise you're looking at a new PROM. Since this is a stock PROM your options are fairly decent; just find a PROM for the matching tranny. The ECMs are the same from '86-88 for the V6 models, the only differences being very minor tweaks for CA/Federal variations and the tranny. The tranny is what matters. Get a PROM from any '86-88 Fiero V6 ECM with the same tranny as yours and you're golden.

JazzMan
Dodgerunner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2009 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
Shoot don't have that one. I have an FTX which is the 85 Auto but don't have an 86..

If someone has a bin I could burn one for you, just don't have a copy.

The 86 and 87 Auto are the same prom so either one would work since they even have the same code.

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2009 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dodgerunner:
If someone has a bin I could burn one for you, just don't have a copy.

Check your email.

Dodgerunner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2009 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
Well Patrick your in luck.

Raydar provided the bin, I have a couple eproms.

Still need one? How does $5 to cover the eprom and postage sound?
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2009 12:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Rory, that sounds excellent. Please check your PMs.

And thanks to you as well, Raydar.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock