Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Putting a cruise control in an non cruise car? (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Putting a cruise control in an non cruise car? by perry rhodan
Started on: 08-16-2007 10:07 PM
Replies: 65
Last post by: theogre on 11-28-2009 12:29 PM
perry rhodan

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2007 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for perry rhodanClick Here to visit perry rhodan's HomePageSend a Private Message to perry rhodanDirect Link to This Post
Ok, I'm looking to install cruise control in my '86 GT MT . This car didnt come with it from the factory.

3 questions.

Do I need another wiring harness in the car or the one in my car already have all the plugs/connectors to use with cruise?

What do I need exactly? Beside the cruise control lever and the vaccum canister, what are the others things I need? switch, harness, module etc?

Does it need to be taken from an manual car or from an auto car it will fit?

Thanks

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2007 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
The fiero cruise control is vacuum operated. If it was me, i'd get an aftermarket one that is electronically operated. i think it would be easier, probably cheaper and maybe even work better.

Here's a start:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/au...1&sku=cruise+control
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2007 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by PaulJK:

. If it was me, i'd get an aftermarket one that is electronically operated. i think it would be easier, probably cheaper and maybe even work better.

I agree. Trying to retrofit 20 year old cruise control is going to be a nightmare. Most of them don't work at this point anyway. The aftermarket system will work much better and be easier to install.
mike-ohio

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2007 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mike-ohioClick Here to visit mike-ohio's HomePageSend a Private Message to mike-ohioDirect Link to This Post
I installed an audiovox aftermarket unit in mine, works fine.
Jim Gregory

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2007 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jim GregorySend a Private Message to Jim GregoryDirect Link to This Post
Audiovox makes a unit that's almost identical to stock, except that all the electronics are contained in the servo rather than a separate module. As I recall, the wiring color code on the control stalk is the same as on the GM control stalk, so a stock-appearing installation is easy. (I put ond into a SAAB 900 once, and I've put 'em on Fords, Chryslers, and even on my old MGB.) The unit can be triggered in three ways- magnets on the driveshaft, a speed signal out of the ECU, or by sampling the current drawn by one of the coils. The first way is a little unlikely, but the speed signal method should be easy.

Incidentally, I think what J C Whitney sells is all the same unit, with different optional controls. However you could wire in a stock GM signal stalk for a factory install.
perry rhodan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2007 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for perry rhodanClick Here to visit perry rhodan's HomePageSend a Private Message to perry rhodanDirect Link to This Post
Hummm...these aftermarket option seem interesting...sure I want "stock" look with all the parts that are visible, like the stalk at the steering wheel. The other item, are hidden so, not much of a concern. I will look at these...but in the mean time, if someone can answer my first questions
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2007 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
The aftermarket units usually come with a stalk that looks identical to stock...I know mine did.
perry rhodan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2007 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for perry rhodanClick Here to visit perry rhodan's HomePageSend a Private Message to perry rhodanDirect Link to This Post
Whats the brand/model of your aftermarket cruise system jscott1?
Rodrv6

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2007 12:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rodrv6Send a Private Message to Rodrv6Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by perry rhodan:

Hummm...these aftermarket option seem interesting...sure I want "stock" look with all the parts that are visible, like the stalk at the steering wheel. The other item, are hidden so, not much of a concern. I will look at these...but in the mean time, if someone can answer my first questions

If you want a true "stock" installation you'll need the main wiring harness and the rear wiring harness from a cruise equipped, manual transmission car. Pontiac did not include the cruise control wiring in the cars that didn't come with it. In addition to the parts you mentioned, you'll need the switches that mount on the brake and clutch pedals. It's a big job, but not an enormous one.

------------------
Rod Schneider, Woodstock, Ga.
"You can't have too many toys!"
1988 Fiero GT
1966 Porsche 911
Van's RV-6 airplane-under construction

perry rhodan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2007 08:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for perry rhodanClick Here to visit perry rhodan's HomePageSend a Private Message to perry rhodanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rodrv6:

If you want a true "stock" installation you'll need the main wiring harness and the rear wiring harness from a cruise equipped, manual transmission car. Pontiac did not include the cruise control wiring in the cars that didn't come with it. In addition to the parts you mentioned, you'll need the switches that mount on the brake and clutch pedals. It's a big job, but not an enormous one.

I was fearing that...this will make easier the decison to go aftermarket if I cant find a cruise equipped part car.

PaulJK

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2007 12:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
i don't think you need those switches - it would be VERY easy to just tap into the brake lights to dis-engage with the brakes. Before i started to worry i think i'd simply see what the instructions said ... a manufacturer COULDN'T sell you an aftermarket unit without making allowances for the thing to dis-engage with the brakes and clutch.
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2007 09:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
I'd say, first choice is to go aftermarket. I've just switched my cruise equipped car to a newer non-vacuum cruise unit (haven't tried it yet - car not running). Just involves rewiring, but it still takes a bit of time trying to get everything right. MY LAST choice would be to go "all original" because the work invovled would not be worth it.

Electronic cruise. https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...030531-2-030708.html

------------------

3.4L S/C 87 GT www.fierosound.com
2002/2003/2004 World of Wheels Winner &
Multiple IASCA Stereo Award Winner

squisher86SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2007 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for squisher86SESend a Private Message to squisher86SEDirect Link to This Post
I installed a factory setup on a non-cruise car, it's not too bad, but it is a little involved.

Parts list:
Vacuum canister (coffee can)
Servo
brackets for above
cruise control throttle cable (attaches the TB to the servo)
Rear wiring harness (tail light harness)
Cruise module (sits under the carpet by the gas pedal)
cruise-control turn-signal stalk with pigtail
brake and clutch switches (I don't have the clutch switch, my cruise came from an automatic car)
A little bit of vacuum hose

The only really annoying part of the installation is the rear tail light harness. I ended up just removing my rear bumper cover. You disconnect the harness at the C500 connector up by the battery, remove the old and replace it with the cruise equipped one. This was not a bad thing for me in the end though, my original harness was kind of a hacked up mess.

Then you mount the canister (any vacuum reservoir will work, I used an OEM one) and servo.

In the passenger compartment you pull the carpet back from the center hump next to the accelerator pedal, and there will be a plastic piece under the carpet. The plastic piece will have a "slot" for the cruise module. The hookups for the module should be under the dash, they should be easy to find.

Fit the switch in the hole in the brake pedal bracket, fish the wire down through the steering column for the turn signal stalk and plug everything in (everything only plugs in one way).

It's a easy afternoon's work. I found my setup on Ebay, although it would probably have been easier (and about the same $) if I had just bought an aftermarket kit.
perry rhodan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2007 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for perry rhodanClick Here to visit perry rhodan's HomePageSend a Private Message to perry rhodanDirect Link to This Post
Thanks all. To see different point of view is interesting. And thanks for the parts list for an "original factory" installation.
Robert 2

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2007 07:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Robert 2Send a Private Message to Robert 2Direct Link to This Post
ttt

[This message has been edited by Robert 2 (edited 10-07-2007).]

perry rhodan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2007 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for perry rhodanClick Here to visit perry rhodan's HomePageSend a Private Message to perry rhodanDirect Link to This Post
Hey biggy ...its for sale?
Robert 2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2007 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Robert 2Send a Private Message to Robert 2Direct Link to This Post
ttt

perry rhodan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2007 06:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for perry rhodanClick Here to visit perry rhodan's HomePageSend a Private Message to perry rhodanDirect Link to This Post
Yeah Ive thinking about the same....if I install a factory setup, I will take a ride to your home to look at the installation in a real car.
Rodrv6

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2007 02:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rodrv6Send a Private Message to Rodrv6Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rodrv6:

DISCLAIMER: Looking back, the only car I did a cruise addition on was an 84, and the main harness was different. It's possible the main harness in later year cars may have had the wiring already in place. Just one more possible "84 only" thing..........

------------------
Rod Schneider, Woodstock, Ga.
"You can't have too many toys!"
1988 Fiero GT
1966 Porsche 911
Van's RV-6 airplane-under construction

perry rhodan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2007 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for perry rhodanClick Here to visit perry rhodan's HomePageSend a Private Message to perry rhodanDirect Link to This Post
I am looking for this kit:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot...m=&item=250112616564

Minus the column lever (I will purchase separatly a real GM repro like this one http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot...em=290168125713&rd=1 to fit the real thing in the Fiero)

What do you think ? I'm still waiting for the answer about the brand/model of this kit.

Or do you have other suggestion about easy to install , reliable kit ?

PS: Dont forget that my car didnt have cruise control already

[This message has been edited by perry rhodan (edited 10-06-2007).]

Robert 2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2007 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Robert 2Send a Private Message to Robert 2Direct Link to This Post
ttt

PFF
System Bot
perry rhodan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2007 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for perry rhodanClick Here to visit perry rhodan's HomePageSend a Private Message to perry rhodanDirect Link to This Post
6.250 " you told me. Nice robert...I take note of that. I will ask the vendor.
Robert 2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2007 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Robert 2Send a Private Message to Robert 2Direct Link to This Post
ttt

perry rhodan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2007 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for perry rhodanClick Here to visit perry rhodan's HomePageSend a Private Message to perry rhodanDirect Link to This Post
If you read carefully my message I stated that I will not take the stalk included with the cruise kit..I will purchase the GM one instead.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2007 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
I bought mine here, it's basically the same as what JC Whitney sells for more money

http://airandsound.safeshopper.com/5/cat5.htm?579

If you are installing your own cruise you can use whatever stalk you want including a genuine GM stalk. The only difference between a cuise stalk and a non-cuise is the 4 wire switch for the cruise in the stalk.

Click here for handles, (Fiero uses #2)

http://airandsound.safeshopper.com/5/172.htm?579

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 10-06-2007).]

perry rhodan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2007 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for perry rhodanClick Here to visit perry rhodan's HomePageSend a Private Message to perry rhodanDirect Link to This Post
Is it the one you purchased, the one at $159.99 or the other one at $219.00?

http://airandsound.safeshopper.com/5/30.htm?579

Since the correct stalk is included, its a better deal than the one Ive found for the $159.99.

[This message has been edited by perry rhodan (edited 10-06-2007).]

Robert 2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2007 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Robert 2Send a Private Message to Robert 2Direct Link to This Post
ttt]

perry rhodan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2007 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for perry rhodanClick Here to visit perry rhodan's HomePageSend a Private Message to perry rhodanDirect Link to This Post
It doesnt matter how much I wrote...take time to read (from your own word)....all I said was written in two sentences only. Not very much...

But anyway, the cruise kit from jscott link, will cost me less and I will have all I need (with the correct stalk model included)...

Also I'm lookin for an Audiovox CCS-100 (box open never used)...no stalk included (only a dash mounted control), but with the purchase of the stalk (on my previous link) it will still cost me less than the one from Air'n'sound.

Still waiting for some aswers from the sellers before making a decision.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2007 12:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
I ended up with the vacuum kit and mounted it in the stock location, even though I have a V8 and I'm not worried about looking stock. It worked great and was easy to install myself.
perry rhodan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2008 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for perry rhodanClick Here to visit perry rhodan's HomePageSend a Private Message to perry rhodanDirect Link to This Post
What is written on your electronic cruise control module (the black plastic box under the driver side carpet) ?

I found a cruise module here...part No 25074710. I didnt remember from which vehicule it came from. But maybe its a good model to use in my non cruise 1986 GT.

For now it looks like I have a good part to start with when I look inside the P22 manual.

Where I can find GM part number application chart for parts?

I tried GM part direct...but they didnt list all application it seem...

@squisher86SE : You have a PM

[This message has been edited by perry rhodan (edited 09-30-2008).]

perry rhodan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2008 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for perry rhodanClick Here to visit perry rhodan's HomePageSend a Private Message to perry rhodanDirect Link to This Post

perry rhodan

802 posts
Member since Apr 2006
Finally I decided to go the "stock" way.

I'm looking for the parts right now.

But I'm still wondering about some of the wiring harness question.

I know that squisher86SE wrote here that on a non cruise car, we only need the rear tailight harness....

But....I have a non-cruise '86 GT. And I dont seem to have any unused connectors under the dash (just a big black two row loose connector near the accelerator.) So no brake or clutch cruise vacuum release switch connector, and no electronic cruise module connector.

When we take a look inside the shop manual (I have the '87 helm), we only see the rear harness...they never show the underdash cruise harness or at least the connectors (just a very small part of the electronic cruise module connector)

And when we look at the P22 manual the only thing we see its the "jumper" under dash cruise harness. (jumper is the name of the harness) but no mention of the rear harness difference (cruise and non-cruise) and no detail also of it.

Its very weird and confusing...

So the electrical part still confuse me...anyone else who have done the conversion can help me?

PFF
System Bot
sparx22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2008 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sparx22Send a Private Message to sparx22Direct Link to This Post
I think a harness from the passenger compartment is required as well.

I have been considering doing this as well, salvaged, the vac can, control module, servo and cable from a donor car. I did not save the rear tail light harness since the car was "pack rat" chewed at the engine compartment. Made a mistake not taking all the interior cables, but I did pull all brakes switches.

I am not sure it is worth the trouble going factory, seems much easier with aftermarket. My 85 has aftermarket cruise but it is not working, the plastic vac canister is collapsed so I need to sub with the metal one I salvaged.

The big problem I do have is the Vacuum Release Solenoid, I didn't grab that, and I don't recall even seeing it. It is suppose to be located at the left shock tower.

First hope is to get the existing aftermarket system working, and then I still think a less painful option is to go aftermarket rather than resurrecting factory components.
sparx22

[This message has been edited by sparx22 (edited 09-30-2008).]

perry rhodan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2008 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for perry rhodanClick Here to visit perry rhodan's HomePageSend a Private Message to perry rhodanDirect Link to This Post
From what I saw in the factory shop manual the solenoid is located at the same place as the servo (the UFO that drive the cable).

You talk about a pessenger side harness? I didnt saw nothing about that in either manual, but a small harness on the drivers side is necessary (at least it show in the P22) to cnnect all switch and the electronic cruise module.

But its only what I saw in both manual. I'm still looking for more info.

The '87 manual seem better at showing some thing than the '86 helm however.

If I can resolve this little problem I will be ok .

sparx22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2008 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sparx22Send a Private Message to sparx22Direct Link to This Post
I have an 85 GT and 85 Pontiac manual.
There has to be wiring in the pass compartment since the control sets on the drivers side of the console under that plastic plate under the carpeting.
sparx22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2008 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sparx22Send a Private Message to sparx22Direct Link to This Post

sparx22

1490 posts
Member since May 2008
My question is can you make this http://www.jcwhitney.com/AU...+600000570_10101.jcw work with a GM type control stalk?
I have a stalk with (4) wires which is factory type replacment.
I sure would not want a dash mounted slab control.
If my aftermarket unit is shot I would not mind spending $160.00 or so, but not eager to plunk down $200.00
I can also sell my GM cruise parts off since I would not need them.
sparx22
perry rhodan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2008 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for perry rhodanClick Here to visit perry rhodan's HomePageSend a Private Message to perry rhodanDirect Link to This Post
I will try to post a scan of what I have for the wiring harness under the dash in the P-22. The only things I know is that the "jumper" harness as they call it have a different part number for '85, '86 and '87. So maybe your will be diffrent...I dont know.
perry rhodan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2008 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for perry rhodanClick Here to visit perry rhodan's HomePageSend a Private Message to perry rhodanDirect Link to This Post

perry rhodan

802 posts
Member since Apr 2006
These GM/helm electrical schematic is a real mess... **** . grrrr

Tanlrat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2008 03:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TanlratSend a Private Message to TanlratDirect Link to This Post
this morning after work i'll post scan out of my factory manual and pics from my car. I wish i had taken pictures during install of factory cruise in my 86 SE, same set up as your 85 except # of taillights to share with you.

Originally posted by squisher86SE:

I installed a factory setup on a non-cruise car, it's not too bad, but it is a little involved.

Parts list:
Vacuum canister (coffee can)
Servo
brackets for above
cruise control throttle cable (attaches the TB to the servo)
Rear wiring harness (tail light harness)
Cruise module (sits under the carpet by the gas pedal)
cruise-control turn-signal stalk with pigtail
brake and clutch switches (I don't have the clutch switch, my cruise came from an automatic car)
A little bit of vacuum hose

The only really annoying part of the installation is the rear tail light harness. I ended up just removing my rear bumper cover. You disconnect the harness at the C500 connector up by the battery, remove the old and replace it with the cruise equipped one. This was not a bad thing for me in the end though, my original harness was kind of a hacked up mess.

Then you mount the canister (any vacuum reservoir will work, I used an OEM one) and servo.

In the passenger compartment you pull the carpet back from the center hump next to the accelerator pedal, and there will be a plastic piece under the carpet. The plastic piece will have a "slot" for the cruise module. The hookups for the module should be under the dash, they should be easy to find.

Fit the switch in the hole in the brake pedal bracket, fish the wire down through the steering column for the turn signal stalk and plug everything in (everything only plugs in one way).

It's a easy afternoon's work. I found my setup on Ebay, although it would probably have been easier (and about the same $) if I had just bought an aftermarket kit.

you'll also need the wire harness that hooks these switches the module and car together.

I got my set up from Kickhill http://www.kickhill.com/fiero.html when i was able to get hold of him, for about $100 i think.

the hardest part on this install for me was running the wire down the steering wheel and retaping the new tail light harness and adding attachment clips from the old harness.

the harness connector in the passenger compartment for cruise control is on the left side of the center consule behind the radio. you shouldn't have to remove the consule to get to it.

the difference in the cruise/non cruise taillight harness is that the cruise harness continues into the drivers rear fender well up under the drivers inner sail pnl, behind the evap canistor, around the drivers strut tower to the servo and solinoid. oh yeah the trunk light part of the harness goes to the trunk on the drivers side of the servo. Forgot about the bonus of the trunk light.
perry rhodan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2008 07:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for perry rhodanClick Here to visit perry rhodan's HomePageSend a Private Message to perry rhodanDirect Link to This Post
@Tanlrat: This "jumper harness" , that connect the module and switch , which I'm looking for is "hidden" behind the radio /the center console in all non cruise car? or you need to get it from a cruise equipped donor car?

My center console is partially disassembled ... I will try to take a look further.

For the rear electrical part, no confusion here anymore. Still need info about the driver side electrical portion.

@sparx22: I dont know if you can use the fiero stalk to work with it, but I think its possible. I remember about some of the thing one of the vendor Ive talked with last your about my desire to install an electronic cruise in my Fiero. And I think he told me thats it's compatible. BUt not sure. You will need to ask directly the manufacturer of the kit or with JCs

[This message has been edited by perry rhodan (edited 10-01-2008).]

Tanlrat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2008 07:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TanlratSend a Private Message to TanlratDirect Link to This Post
my car was not cruise equiped. it is a lone connector hanging out there behind the consule on drivers side. I found it long before i though of installing cruise control when i was screwing around with my radio. I get you pics in about 4 to 5 hours. I'm still at work and the good 'ole DOD does not like us GI's going to photobucket website @ work.

It's sucks when you can't see all the pics that have been posted in a thread
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock