Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Putting a cruise control in an non cruise car? (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Putting a cruise control in an non cruise car? by perry rhodan
Started on: 08-16-2007 10:07 PM
Replies: 65
Last post by: theogre on 11-28-2009 12:29 PM
Robert 2

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2008 08:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Robert 2Send a Private Message to Robert 2Direct Link to This Post
What's a DOD
IP: Logged
perry rhodan

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2008 08:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for perry rhodanClick Here to visit perry rhodan's HomePageSend a Private Message to perry rhodanDirect Link to This Post
Are you talking about this black connector under the dash near the accelerator behind the radio ?

So if I understand correctly, I will need to find in a cruise donor car the "jumper harness" and plug it at this black connectors and plug it at the switch and module also.

Is that correct?
Hudini

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2008 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post
Department of Defense. They are very sensitive to folks using the internet for non-duty related stuff.
Tanlrat

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2008 08:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TanlratSend a Private Message to TanlratDirect Link to This Post
yeap that is the little bugger you need to plug into

[This message has been edited by Tanlrat (edited 10-01-2008).]

perry rhodan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2008 08:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for perry rhodanClick Here to visit perry rhodan's HomePageSend a Private Message to perry rhodanDirect Link to This Post
Oh yeah...now I think that all the pieces of the puzzle are now togeter.

Now I will add the "jumper" wiring harness in the shopping list.

Hope not other surprise will arise.

Thanks.

Another conversion guide on the way

[This message has been edited by perry rhodan (edited 10-01-2008).]

perry rhodan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2008 09:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for perry rhodanClick Here to visit perry rhodan's HomePageSend a Private Message to perry rhodanDirect Link to This Post

perry rhodan

802 posts
Member since Apr 2006
@sparx22 : heres the scan from the P22 manual. This show you the solenoid. It come together with the servo , servo braket, all in one piece generally.

The item 20 in the bottom left picture (vacuum tank asm/ servo asm) is the servo solenoid youre talking about.

Hope this help.

If you decide to get rid of your stock setup, I may be interested.

[This message has been edited by perry rhodan (edited 10-01-2008).]

sparx22

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2008 10:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sparx22Send a Private Message to sparx22Direct Link to This Post
Thanks Perry
Yep I didn't grab #20 the servo and as I mentioned the wiring.
I think I even have all the switches that attach to the brake.
Jim
Tanlrat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2008 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TanlratSend a Private Message to TanlratDirect Link to This Post
Well I'm home now time for some factory scans that i have

here we have the simple brake down of the cruise control system

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.
here is the manuals location of the wiring

here is the start of the taillight harness

in the passenger rear fender well (best to remove both halves of the fender well) there is a feed through for the rear engine fan, the one that tries to cool the alternator and coil. just forward of that is a ground wire mounted to the frame, sorry but couldn't get the camera in much further from under the car

since i don't have pics of the harness with the bumper remove we skip from the fan to the drivers side where the harness comes back into the engine bay

here you see that you will have to remove the evap canistor to route the harness

here is how the harness routes from the other side of the evap can
here is how the servo, vac can and the brake solenoid are installed, not that the harness for the solenoid routes over the mount

here is a top view, as you can see the trunk light wires run to a grommet on the left of the servo. you will have to knock out the plastic plug to install

i have more in the next post
Tanlrat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2008 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TanlratSend a Private Message to TanlratDirect Link to This Post

Tanlrat

154 posts
Member since May 2008
here is some close ups of the vacuum lines

when you are reinstalling fender well liners one of the clips on the harness mounts to the liner in each wheelwell

here are some pics best i could get of the wiring harness that runs over the top of the pedals in the foreground of the first two pics are of the turn stock harness connected to the p22 harness as you called it.

and my harness hooked up to that pesky hard to find plug

and finally a partial pic of the module holder

Got any questions let me know

[This message has been edited by Tanlrat (edited 10-01-2008).]

sparx22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2008 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sparx22Send a Private Message to sparx22Direct Link to This Post
Tanlrat
Thanks for all the useful images.
Good fortune in my case- I did save the servo.
Tanlrat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2008 04:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TanlratSend a Private Message to TanlratDirect Link to This Post
you're welcome

that's the Solenoid btw, the servo is the rubber diaphragm part that controls the throttle. the solenoid is the electric back up to the cruise brake switch. In most regular cars w/cruise there is a vacuum relief valve attached to the brake pedal as well as the switch. It is a mechanical back up to cutting off the cruise in case the electrics has a hiccup and not turn off the cruise when you apply the brakes. so there is two switches on the brake in the Fiero, one that runs though the module providing the electrical cutoff and the other that doesn't providing the mechanical cutoff.

PFF
System Bot
josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2008 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
Sears used to sell these kits at their automotive store. I found a sealed unit new in the box at a flea market a while back. I installed it on my brothers Jeep Cherokee
squisher86SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2008 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for squisher86SESend a Private Message to squisher86SEDirect Link to This Post
I replied to the OP's PM a minute ago (Honestly forgot about this thread), but looks like people have posted better pictures than I could take!

Just remember if you're doing stock-style, make sure the tail-light harness you grab is cruise-enabled and FOR YOUR BODY STYLE!

If you end up with the wrong body style, you should still be able use it, you'll just have to take it apart and get the cruise related wires only (and repin the C500 on your original harness IIRC....nevermind!)
sparx22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2008 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sparx22Send a Private Message to sparx22Direct Link to This Post
Good news for me, I got the after market cruise that was on my car disconnected when I bought it to finally work today, so I don't have to go thru the installation of the OEM parts.
It was a bit of a PITA, but I kept after it and all I have left to do is replace the vac lines and mount the GM vac cannister tomorrow. It functions just like factory.

Very good thread here on cruise.
perry rhodan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2008 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for perry rhodanClick Here to visit perry rhodan's HomePageSend a Private Message to perry rhodanDirect Link to This Post
Yeah. Thanks all for your contribution here. Its more than a year since I started the thread, but since i'm not in a rush, the wait was worth it. Today I found (I was lucky...today) several needed parts for my stock setup. From two people (thanks "bigbobalicious robert2" my friend and Ben from AZ Mecanic) I found the servo/solenoid /trhottle cable on the support. Also the clutch and brake switch.

I found the cable braket (near the throttle body), the vacuum canister can...but this one will need to be replaced with a tomato juice can .

I also found the "jumper" harness (under the driver side dash).

Yesterday I found in a box of junk in the garage a cruise electronic module.

Now the only thing I need is one of the little round clip that hold the clutch switch. Also will need vacuum hose and a new vacuum canister. Not a big deal. And the rear harness.

Almost an happy man.

Edit: I forgot..need the cruise stalker too.

[This message has been edited by perry rhodan (edited 10-02-2008).]

Robert 2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2008 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Robert 2Send a Private Message to Robert 2Direct Link to This Post
Good
perry rhodan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2008 08:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for perry rhodanClick Here to visit perry rhodan's HomePageSend a Private Message to perry rhodanDirect Link to This Post
@Tanlrat : Is your interior is the original one with a new vinyl covering? if its the case could you send us more picture of your center console and pod for us to see what it look like? My interion will be in need of this type of treatment and I was not sure if it can be done.
Tanlrat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2008 03:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TanlratSend a Private Message to TanlratDirect Link to This Post
Sorry Perry but the interior is in bit of a mess right now, i currently have the original interior vinyl except for the center console. I bought this current center console from PISA, already vinyled. I'm not happly with it since i still have to mod and figure out how to mount some of the stuff in it. I haven't had much time since the car is my daily driver to work on it.

In the future after i do the engine swap in the car I plan on complete redo fo the interior. some of the plans include repalcing all the gauges and locating them in the main dash pod and the driver's pillar. the center console gauge set is being deleted, with the gear shift, and console being relocated back 2-3" for easier reach. teh rest of the redesign of the consol for a double din GPS system, a thiner width, relocation of the ashtrays and lighter. and having a final touch of real brushed aluminum cover plates.

there will be 5 1/4" speakers and a hud installed ont he dash as well. over all i'm going to make the interior look Fiero but modern.
perry rhodan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2008 07:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for perry rhodanClick Here to visit perry rhodan's HomePageSend a Private Message to perry rhodanDirect Link to This Post
Ok. Thanks.

Someone have ever seen the little "air filter" that is supposed to be on the solenoid valve of the servo?

[This message has been edited by perry rhodan (edited 10-03-2008).]

Robert 2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2008 08:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Robert 2Send a Private Message to Robert 2Direct Link to This Post
It's like looking for a needle in a bail of hay with boxing gloves my men
Never seen one on any Fiero i've looked at . Neither on any pics .
Nosferatu187

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2008 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nosferatu187Send a Private Message to Nosferatu187Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by perry rhodan:

Ok. Thanks.

Someone have ever seen the little "air filter" that is supposed to be on the solenoid valve of the servo?

Found this in a previous thread, the part number for the filter is ACDelco 219-13 (scroll down):

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/084870.html

Mike
PFF
System Bot
perry rhodan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2008 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for perry rhodanClick Here to visit perry rhodan's HomePageSend a Private Message to perry rhodanDirect Link to This Post
Thans Nosferatu187..

I asked in the thread you gave me if the filter come with the clip that retain the filter or if it's juste the foam part that you can buy.
Nosferatu187

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2008 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nosferatu187Send a Private Message to Nosferatu187Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by perry rhodan:

Thans Nosferatu187..

I asked in the thread you gave me if the filter come with the clip that retain the filter or if it's juste the foam part that you can buy.

Ah sorry, I didn't see that. Anyway, here is the best picture I could find of it:

I've never actually seen one but I imagine the clip is not included. Really you could just make one out of foam and install that, maybe use a small wire tie to hold it in place. Advance Auto can get them, I might order one from there someday. They list it as an EGR filter, go figure.

Mike

PS: I think I actually found the GM part # for that clip: 1985870

Go to http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/ and type in the above number in the search there.

[This message has been edited by Nosferatu187 (edited 10-03-2008).]

perry rhodan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2008 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for perry rhodanClick Here to visit perry rhodan's HomePageSend a Private Message to perry rhodanDirect Link to This Post
Youre right for the clip...but go figure if its the good one lollll

On www.rockauto.com the filter is listed under "supercharger" lollll , but picture show its the correct part.

[This message has been edited by perry rhodan (edited 10-03-2008).]

Nosferatu187

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2008 08:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nosferatu187Send a Private Message to Nosferatu187Direct Link to This Post
Supercharger? Well there you go, that's gotta be good for 10-15HP right there!
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 572
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2009 12:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
I use the picture and name all the wires and switch.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top of every forum page...)

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 11-28-2009).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock