Iron Duke Performance mods done by White 84 SE
Started on: 09-20-2009 02:03 AM
Replies: 24
Last post by: White 84 SE on 09-22-2009 04:29 PM
White 84 SE

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2009 02:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for White 84 SESend a Private Message to White 84 SEDirect Link to This Post
Well yep, I went and did a bunch of engine mods to an 84 Duke. I am here to tell you I think it was worth it. Then again, I am new to doing engine work. Here's a list of what I did and my impressions.

Holley TBI
CompCam high lift camshaft and lifters
DIY gasket match porting from TBI to exhaust manifold
Glasspacks to replace catalytic converter and muffler both
MSD blaster coil
DIY engine overhaul per Haynes manual

My Impressions are: It is a lot more fun to drive. Has a lot more pickup. Sounds pretty good from an exhaust point of view. I am getting better than 9 seconds 0-60 times at the toll booths. Improvement in gas mileage to around 26 mpg mixed from 24ish. Has more torque in 2nd and 3rd than before with about the same for 1st and 4th which was pretty good already.

There are a few negatives. It seems just as noisey in the engine clatter department although I have not changed out the springs or pushrods yet. Idle seems a little sort of jumpy- very minor but before it was stone solid.

So, all you Dukesters...if these sorts of things are what your looking to do...they can work out. I dont have HP #s but the engine gets more midrange power which is a great improvement for performance. I have not noticed any drawbacks from these mods yet at all.

------------------
84 Duke, Holley TBI, Manual Trans 4.10, CompuCam, White

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
White 84 SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2009 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for White 84 SESend a Private Message to White 84 SEDirect Link to This Post
If I were to further work on the car It would be to quiet it down, and lighten it up. The Porsche 550 spyder was about 1000 lbs lighter with a similar engine @115 hp. I dont know any way to quiet the Duke yet. If anyone has suggestions I would like to hear them. For lightening seems like constructing an aluminum space frame and transfering parts would do it. Any thoughts? I think the perfect car would be be very much like a Fiero but with 150 HP and be less than 2000lbs. And be a convertable.....or T-tops. Sounds like I am thinking Ferrari right?

------------------

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2009 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
For anyone else - the Tech IV in the Olds Ciera had 110hp out of the box.
Not sure what the exact specs for this engine are.

1989-1992 Tech IV 2.5 L (151 in³) I4 110 hp (82 kW) and 135 lb·ft (183 N·m)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wik...mobile_Cutlass_Ciera

------------------

World of Wheels Winners
My 3.4L S/C 87 GT
& Super Duty 4 Indy

Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2009 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

Interesting. I wonder if the ECM would have to be swapped with it.
White 84 SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2009 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for White 84 SESend a Private Message to White 84 SEDirect Link to This Post
I'll bet they tweaked the fabrication process by that time....a little

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPgKgUXSXKI

------------------

[This message has been edited by White 84 SE (edited 09-20-2009).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2009 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 572
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2009 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

It has DIS and 700 TBI. Like 87-88 L4 Fiero. No ideal what else. Will not fit, IE drop it, 84-86 Fiero. May has be a different engine... Same as V6.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top of every forum page...)

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 09-20-2009).]

TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2009 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchDirect Link to This Post
The 91-92 Vin R duke has 110 HP. It was used in, among other vehicles, Chevy Luminas. It has a timing chain instead of gears. Because it is a Vin R, it should fit in a Fiero easily, but is DIS, so re-wiring and a different ECM would be needed on 84-86.

[This message has been edited by TopNotch (edited 09-20-2009).]

White 84 SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2009 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for White 84 SESend a Private Message to White 84 SEDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TopNotch:

The 91-92 Vin R duke has 110 HP. It was used in, among other vehicles, Chevy Luminas. It has a timing chain instead of gears. Because it is a Vin R, it should fit in a Fiero easily, but is DIS, so re-wiring and a different ECM would be needed on 84-86.

I am SURE my engine is getting over 110HP. That timing chain thing may quiet the engine a bit though....

------------------

americasfuture2k

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2009 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TopNotch:

vin R cars had 110 hp? i had a 88 duke pontiac 6000. i always thought it was the 92 hp engine.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2009 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
hiperformance offers some kind of Hi Performance 2.5L motor. You'd have to email an inquiry http://www.hiperformer.com/...s/pontiac-fiero.html

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 09-20-2009).]

PFF
System Bot
White 84 SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2009 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for White 84 SESend a Private Message to White 84 SEDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Fierosound.... Ive already worked my engine and spent just a few hundred dollars doing all the work I have a "remanufactured" and hopped up little Duke. Still, there must be a lot of dudes with way more money than time and might go for such offerings.

------------------

White 84 SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2009 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for White 84 SESend a Private Message to White 84 SEDirect Link to This Post

White 84 SE

812 posts
Member since Nov 2008

Originally posted by americasfuture2k:

vin R cars had 110 hp? i had a 88 duke pontiac 6000. i always thought it was the 92 hp engine.

The Fieros were High Output, dont know what the 6000s were although they both were vin Rs.

OOPS... I was confusing the V6s and the Dukes.... forget the above observation....

------------------

[This message has been edited by White 84 SE (edited 09-20-2009).]

americasfuture2k

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2009 08:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by White 84 SE:

The Fieros were High Output, dont know what the 6000s were although they both were vin Rs.

OOPS... I was confusing the V6s and the Dukes.... forget the above observation....

hahaha
White 84 SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2009 08:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for White 84 SESend a Private Message to White 84 SEDirect Link to This Post

hahaha

lol....well I mean...*

------------------

TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2009 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchDirect Link to This Post

The 88 Vin R duke is rated at 98 HP. You need a 91-92 to get the 110 HP rating.
Edit: HP ratings of Vin R dukes (as used in Fieros)
84-86: 92 HP
87: 96 HP
88: 98 HP

[This message has been edited by TopNotch (edited 09-21-2009).]

White 84 SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2009 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for White 84 SESend a Private Message to White 84 SEDirect Link to This Post
Just an observation here. I've noticed that Fiero owners in general seem all about dropping different parts in thier cars. As if the cars were inherently crap. Not working on and improving them just replaceing parts. This must be a new school thing. To me it seems lame as far as being a car enthusiast. When I think about car enthusiasts my first idea is that here are dudes that really tweek thier cars to being fine tuned machines but it seems more about "whatyagot" "wheredyabuyit" "sweetdealdude!!!". It seems more about conspicuous consumption. Perhaps a tad better than just the new stickers. Perhaps I am just disappointed with consumer culture. Still, I am quite different than all that for one and I aint changing my position. I am sure not the only one.

------------------

Englishrafe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2009 04:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EnglishrafeSend a Private Message to EnglishrafeDirect Link to This Post
I've got to agree with your statement !
Since we don't have such a big selection of available US motors over here (3800, Northstars etc...), we go for improving what we've allready got in the car.
If you do put something else in the engine bay, then try to explain to the local DRIRE inspector that you just swapped in a bigger 90° V6 in the place of your original 60° V6. He won't like it.
He will just ask for the homologation certificate from the car manufacturer. Oh! You don't have one ! You did the swap yourself ?
Well Sir, you car is now illegal for the open road. Kindly take it back on a trailer and leave it in the bottom of your garden, never to be driven again !!
Like I said, get the most out of what you have, and enjoy it.
patch

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2009 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for patchSend a Private Message to patchDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by White 84 SE:

Well yep, I went and did a bunch of engine mods to an 84 Duke. I am here to tell you I think it was worth it. Then again, I am new to doing engine work. Here's a list of what I did and my impressions.

Holley TBI
CompCam high lift camshaft and lifters
DIY gasket match porting from TBI to exhaust manifold
Glasspacks to replace catalytic converter and muffler both
MSD blaster coil
DIY engine overhaul per Haynes manual

My Impressions are: It is a lot more fun to drive. Has a lot more pickup. Sounds pretty good from an exhaust point of view. I am getting better than 9 seconds 0-60 times at the toll booths. Improvement in gas mileage to around 26 mpg mixed from 24ish. Has more torque in 2nd and 3rd than before with about the same for 1st and 4th which was pretty good already.

There are a few negatives. It seems just as noisey in the engine clatter department although I have not changed out the springs or pushrods yet. Idle seems a little sort of jumpy- very minor but before it was stone solid.

So, all you Dukesters...if these sorts of things are what your looking to do...they can work out. I dont have HP #s but the engine gets more midrange power which is a great improvement for performance. I have not noticed any drawbacks from these mods yet at all.

Hi there, I thought you went with the Fierostore performance cam? Is that the same cam as the Comp? BTW where did you find a keyway for that cam?
White 84 SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2009 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for White 84 SESend a Private Message to White 84 SEDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by patch:

Hi there, I thought you went with the Fierostore performance cam? Is that the same cam as the Comp? BTW where did you find a keyway for that cam?

Yes mine is the FieroStore one. The key was in there with the old cam. You do mean the the locking device on the cam to gear right?

The_Stickman2

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2009 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The_Stickman2Click Here to visit The_Stickman2's HomePageSend a Private Message to The_Stickman2Direct Link to This Post
What are the specs for your cam. Mine is a 272 degree cam. I hope to have the car on the road soon so I can document the performance even though the car will no longer be mine.
PFF
System Bot
White 84 SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2009 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for White 84 SESend a Private Message to White 84 SEDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by patch:

By the way I've seen woodruff keys in the fastener isle at Lowes of all places. Dont know if they fit or anything else about them.

------------------

White 84 SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2009 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for White 84 SESend a Private Message to White 84 SEDirect Link to This Post

White 84 SE

812 posts
Member since Nov 2008

Originally posted by The_Stickman2:

What are the specs for your cam. Mine is a 272 degree cam. I hope to have the car on the road soon so I can document the performance even though the car will no longer be mine.

280 with a 497 lift, the longer duration of this cam has me concerned about overlap if I use a supercharger. Might force air fuel right out the exhaust for some major drivability and emmisions issues.

------------------

Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2009 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post
When I called comp cams about a turbo grind they gave me a custom grind number and said all I have to do is order it through my reseller (Fiero Store). Cost was the same as a full standard grind with lifters kit so I opted for the kit to save some $$. It would seem to follow you could custom order a wider LSA to better work with a supercharger.
White 84 SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2009 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for White 84 SESend a Private Message to White 84 SEDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hudini:

When I called comp cams about a turbo grind they gave me a custom grind number and said all I have to do is order it through my reseller (Fiero Store). Cost was the same as a full standard grind with lifters kit so I opted for the kit to save some $$. It would seem to follow you could custom order a wider LSA to better work with a supercharger.

Good tip thanks...uh wherdego?...ohthere...Hudini.

------------------

[This message has been edited by White 84 SE (edited 09-22-2009).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock