TH125 Strength by fieroall
Started on: 10-31-2009 12:52 AM
Replies: 50
Last post by: project34 on 11-11-2009 10:10 PM
fieroall

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2009 12:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroallSend a Private Message to fieroallDirect Link to This Post
Just how strong is the auto tranny in my 86 2.8 Fiero? Will it handle my 3.8NA swap engine or should I convert the car to manual tranny? 210hp/220tq. Lotsa spirited city driving weekend type of car.

Thanks.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Valkyrie

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2009 03:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ValkyrieSend a Private Message to ValkyrieDirect Link to This Post
Unless you're partial to manuals, I'd suggest just swapping in a 4T60 that's mated to that engine in most cars.
Hulki U. My-BFF

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 248
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2009 05:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFDirect Link to This Post
And you'll want that OD also.
Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2009 06:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post
And you would need an adapter plate for the 3.8L with TH125c since it has a different bolt pattern than a 60* V6.

EDIT: Bad info on my part...

[This message has been edited by Hudini (edited 11-01-2009).]

project34

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2009 10:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroall:
Just how strong is the auto tranny in my 86 2.8 Fiero?

For your engine swap, a new or well-rebuilt TH125 presumably shouldn't have a problem in terms of handling the power.

However, if you've neither a new nor a well-rebuilt TH125 for which you've already paid a healthy sum of money --- but just a 23-year-old TH125 transmission --- I suggest giving strong consideration to the 4T60 that others have suggested here. The RPM-reducing overdrive gear of the 4T60 also very likely will be something you'll appreciate when having to pay the bill for your Fiero's gasoline consumption.

By the way, in regard to a "well-rebuilt TH125," I don't mean slapping on a shift kit, which even a shift kit manufacturer will tell you, is a bad idea for an old transmission that isn't in great shape in the first place.

Take care, and good luck to you with your engine swap project.
Freshj

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2009 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FreshjSend a Private Message to FreshjDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hudini:

And you would need an adapter plate for the 3.8L with TH125c since it has a different bolt pattern than a 60* V6.

Uh... if that was the case then all the 3.8SC manual swaps would need an adapter, and yet they don't...

fieroall

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2009 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroallSend a Private Message to fieroallDirect Link to This Post
Well it's a 23 year old tranny but it's in great shape and shifts great.
ray b

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2009 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ray bSend a Private Message to ray bDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hudini:

3.8 rwd needs a plate/adpter
3800fwd doesNOT

------------------
Question wonder and be wierd
are you kind?

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2009 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Go with the newer tranny if you want an auto. I spent LOTS of cash trying to get T125s to work with my V8. 4 times, the tranny didnt last 1,000 miles just driving on street and hiway. It was built each time by a local shop that builds drag racing trannies for drag racers here. They did every trick in the book including putting a 8 disc clutch pack in place of OEM 4 disc. You might get away with it on a V6 as long as you dont crank up the hp. They work fine on original 2.8 V6.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 329
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2009 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
I've had only good experiences with reliability on the TH125H but mine is beefed up. I know of two Fiero owners one who ran 10's with a V8 and another who ran 11's and their modified TH-125's also held up. This trans will only bolt directly to FWD engines like the 3400, 3800, 3.4, 3400, 4.9L Caddy etc. While it may survive in your application, a better choice is the 4T60 4 speed auto. You'll cruise at much better RPM's on the highway and also get better mileage. Howeverr, this trans will not bolt directly to a 3.8L V6 either.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

fieroall

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2009 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroallSend a Private Message to fieroallDirect Link to This Post
Will the TH125 torque converter bolt up to the 3800 flywheel?

Never mind found all I was looking for here -----> https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...090907-2-093783.html

[This message has been edited by fieroall (edited 10-31-2009).]

PFF
System Bot
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2009 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post

Will the TH125 torque converter bolt up to the 3800 flywheel?

It should.
uhlanstan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 427
User Banned

Report this Post10-31-2009 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanDirect Link to This Post
The T 125 is tougher than the 4 speed autos built before they went to electrical shift ..This is one tough tranny..this is not appreciated on this forum ...The 4 speed 4T is more versatile because of the extra speed making it a better choice in 90 % of cases..the 3 speed is a gas hog.. There are 100s of cases of failure of the T125..on this forum..but it is tough..neither transmission is for drag racing
the only reson to swap to a 4 speed is it is more user friendly,,not tougher..
GM built this transmission to take the abuse that millions of average owners would dish out
When you backup,,come to a stop before you shift to drive,,this is a tranny killer..change the fluid and filter ..
My information comes from internet research,,posting about T125 on this forum..talking to people and post where the 2 trannies were argued..And radio mechanic shows.... I quote ""that is one tough transmission"
The 4 speed is better ,,the T125 tougher...My arogant centavo,s,worth

[This message has been edited by uhlanstan (edited 10-31-2009).]

fieroall

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2009 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroallSend a Private Message to fieroallDirect Link to This Post
OK now can someone help me identify the gear ratios I have in my 86 2.8l Auto fiero GT? I want the tallest gears available for the autos. Something I read about swapping 3.73 gears? Anyone have more info on this?

Thanks.
project34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2009 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Direct Link to This Post

OK now can someone help me identify the gear ratios I have in my 86 2.8l Auto fiero GT?

Here you go; the gear ratios of your TH-125 transmission are:
  • 1st Gear = 2.84:1
  • 2nd Gear = 1.60:1
  • 3rd Gear = 1.00:1
fieroall

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2009 12:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroallSend a Private Message to fieroallDirect Link to This Post
So does that make it a 3.33 FDR? Also does anyone have the taller gear info swap procedure?

Thanks.
kwaidonjin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2009 05:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kwaidonjinSend a Private Message to kwaidonjinDirect Link to This Post
can you put the 4T60 on the fiero 2.8?
kwaidonjin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2009 05:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kwaidonjinSend a Private Message to kwaidonjinDirect Link to This Post

kwaidonjin

85 posts
Member since Sep 2009
and if so how hard would it be? And what is the difference between the 4t60 and 4t65? which is better.?
project34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2009 05:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by kwaidonjin:
can you put the 4T60 on the fiero 2.8?

Yes. See http://www.fieroaddiction.com/4T60a.html .
project34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2009 07:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Direct Link to This Post

project34

2424 posts
Member since Jan 2007

So does that make it a 3.33 FDR? Also does anyone have the taller gear info swap procedure?

In answer to your two questions...
  1. No, don't worry about the transmission's gears. Focus instead on swapping the chain and sprocket gear sets to get a numerically larger ratio for better acceleration.

2. To help ensure we're talking about the same thing (since gearing terminology can be confusing), be aware that what you're calling a "taller gear" typically has been the terminology for gearing with a numerically smaller ratio, which in turn actually is worse for acceleration. Having gotten that nomenclature issue out of the way, I haven't seen any more detailed write-ups on swapping chain and sprocket gear sets beyond that briefly referenced in the link I mentioned to kwaidonjin in my previous post. However, if someone does have more detailed information on the procedure for swapping chain and sprocket gear sets (including specifically what cars on which certain ratios can be found), hopefully they'll post it here, because I'd very much like to see that more specific information myself.

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2009 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
It may be a tough tranny for a 2.8 v6. It is not for a 300+ hp v8. Otherwise I would have gotten more than 1,000 miles out of one cruising down the interstate. All of mine failed just cruising. All the clutches and low band self destroyed. Car never even did a burnout. It was a show car, not intended to be raced. It was more of a rice intimidator. Give me a Fiero with anything bigger than 2.8 and I can blow it up in a few minutes without power slamming it from neutral from my experience.
PFF
System Bot
fieroall

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2009 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroallSend a Private Message to fieroallDirect Link to This Post
OK so I just ordered the 33/37 sprockets and chain combo.

Here's the ACDelco #'s for anyone interested:

33 Teeth sprocket # 8643209
37 Teeth sprocket # 8643224
Chain # 8660099

All parts cost me $125 Canadian. Bought locally. Now to see how hard it is to swap them. I will go to the junk yard this weekend and will poke around some TH125's.
uhlanstan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 427
User Banned

Report this Post11-02-2009 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanDirect Link to This Post
using the search feature at the top of tech type in 33/37 auto transmission swap ..

you should come up with some good reading (with exception of my post)

Plenty of bad stories on T125 but it is tougher than T460,, the 4 speed is better ,,not as tough

[This message has been edited by uhlanstan (edited 11-02-2009).]

fieroall

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2009 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroallSend a Private Message to fieroallDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by uhlanstan:

using the search feature at the top of tech type in 33/37 auto transmission swap ..

you should come up with some good reading (with exception of my post)

Plenty of bad stories on T125 but it is tougher than T460,, the 4 speed is better ,,not as tough

I think I've read everything their is on the topic but noone has actually done a step by step write up ... which is what I was actually looking for. O well does anyone know what final drive ratio I have with my 86 2.8l 3 speed? Is it a 3.33 or a 3.06? Any way to tell? Which tags and where?

Thanks.
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2009 10:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Go with the newer tranny if you want an auto. I spent LOTS of cash trying to get T125s to work with my V8. 4 times, the tranny didnt last 1,000 miles just driving on street and hiway. It was built each time by a local shop that builds drag racing trannies for drag racers here. They did every trick in the book including putting a 8 disc clutch pack in place of OEM 4 disc. You might get away with it on a V6 as long as you dont crank up the hp. They work fine on original 2.8 V6.

IMO it sounds like who ever built your trans did not sufficiently increase the line pressure to account for the greater holding force that the larger clutch pack provided. If they had your shifts would feel very hard. I theorize that excess slippage of the clutches caused your failures.
The fastest SBC V8 Fiero on record built by Pat Ciarcia of Mt Pocono PA. in the late 90's used a TH-125H. Pat ran a JPT modified TH-125H behind a 500HP nitrous fed SBC V8 for three seasons (running the 1/4 mile in the mid 10's) with no failures. Pat ran large racing slicks on his Fiero and I believe had Mark Williams axles. Point is that correctly built the TH-125H has been proven to be very strong as long as it is not slam shifted. I have the 3:33:1 FDR trans in my Turbo GT and while it is not a V8 it's certainly being run behind a strong engine. It is a gas hog as I get 20 hwy MPG (less than my 3800SC at 25 MPG) but other than that it works well. For drivability the four speed 4T60e and 4T60eHD autos are better

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2009 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
There are always exceptions Dennis. Maybe his was a high dollar cryoed setup. The shop that did all of them for mine specializes in building racing transmissions for drag cars and circle track cars and been in business for 30 years. Each time, they upped the build to make it better. They tried all the diff packs, kevlar/stainless band, diff valve bodies, custom tc, pumps...you name it. Even tried a manual valve body.
project34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2009 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Direct Link to This Post

I think I've read everything their is on the topic but noone has actually done a step by step write up ... which is what I was actually looking for.

I've looked for the same thing, and unfortunately, I haven't found such a step-by-step write-up either.

However, I think I do have some answers for your questions below:

...does anyone know what final drive ratio I have with my 86 2.8l 3 speed? Is it a 3.33 or a 3.06? Any way to tell? Which tags and where?

If it has a "GX3" somewhere in the RPO codes' sticker located on the top side of the black, driver's-side fenderwell of your automatic-equipped `86 Fiero, then it presumably has a 3.33 final drive ratio, not the 3.18 indicated in the GM-provided, "Pontiac Fiero 1986 Do-It-Yourself" manual that accompanied each new `86 Fiero.

The 3.18 is designated by the RPO code, "F75" rather than "GX3" in that same sticker.

This topic is discussed in more detail within the thread titled, "Are all 3 speed auto trannies the same?" accessible via this Pennock's Fiero Forum link: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/102213.html .
fieroall

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2009 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroallSend a Private Message to fieroallDirect Link to This Post
Well mine is a 3.06 according to the FW2 code on my fendertag which is kinda unfortunate cause the highest I can get the ratio is 3.43 without messing with the inner gears. Still not too bad tho.

BTW the Fiero Cave says their never was a fiero available with the 3.18 FDR. Your tranny must have been swapped.

http://home.comcast.net/~fierocave/

[This message has been edited by fieroall (edited 11-03-2009).]

Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2009 03:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

It may be a tough tranny for a 2.8 v6. It is not for a 300+ hp v8. Otherwise I would have gotten more than 1,000 miles out of one cruising down the interstate. All of mine failed just cruising. All the clutches and low band self destroyed. Car never even did a burnout. It was a show car, not intended to be raced. It was more of a rice intimidator. Give me a Fiero with anything bigger than 2.8 and I can blow it up in a few minutes without power slamming it from neutral from my experience.

There are always exceptions Dennis. Maybe his was a high dollar cryoed setup. The shop that did all of them for mine specializes in building racing transmissions for drag cars and circle track cars and been in business for 30 years. Each time, they upped the build to make it better. They tried all the diff packs, kevlar/stainless band, diff valve bodies, custom tc, pumps...you name it. Even tried a manual valve body.

Sounds like you never had the TV cable adjusted right.

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 11-04-2009).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2009 09:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
They built and installed them all, so I assume they know how to adjust it being only a trans shop. Manual body didnt have a cable.
project34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2009 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Direct Link to This Post

Well mine is a 3.06 according to the FW2 code on my fendertag which is kinda unfortunate cause the highest I can get the ratio is 3.43 without messing with the inner gears. Still not too bad tho.

BTW the Fiero Cave says their never was a fiero available with the 3.18 FDR. Your tranny must have been swapped.

http://home.comcast.net/~fierocave/

My `86 GT actually is a 3.33, as indicated by the "GX3" RPO code on the sticker of its driver's side fenderwell.

OK so I just ordered the 33/37 sprockets and chain combo.

Here's the ACDelco #'s for anyone interested:

33 Teeth sprocket # 8643209
37 Teeth sprocket # 8643224
Chain # 8660099

Yes, I'm very much interested in learning the specific AC Delco part numbers, fieroall, and thank you for posting them. As I understand it, the 33/37 sprockets and chain combination you've ordered will result in a (3.18/[33/37] =) 3.43 ratio for your car, or a 3.33/[33/37] =) 3.73 ratio for mine, which in either case, would be a 12% increase.

Yesss!

I've a question of you, however.

Is the part number you've listed for the chain (# 8660099) a typo? When I input that part number into AC Delco's parts catalog website ( http://parts-catalog.acdelc.../b2c/stock_check.php ), all I get is this error message: "Part Number (8660099) not valid."

[This message has been edited by project34 (edited 11-04-2009).]

PFF
System Bot
fieroall

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2009 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroallSend a Private Message to fieroallDirect Link to This Post
The chain # is 8660099. BTW I just got all the parts needed including a tranny filter and the needed gaskets/seals for under $200 can.

Here is all the info you'll need:

I will post picks later.

[This message has been edited by fieroall (edited 11-04-2009).]

fieroall

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2009 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroallSend a Private Message to fieroallDirect Link to This Post

fieroall

403 posts
Member since Feb 2008
Here is the pick. The chain is the coolest thing I've seen yet. Hope installation goes smooth. I will take picks.

[This message has been edited by fieroall (edited 11-04-2009).]

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2009 06:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

They built and installed them all, so I assume they know how to adjust it being only a trans shop.

That's a big assumption.
Some carbeurettor manufacturers refuse to warrantee their products with ovderdrive transmissions (IE, TH-700 using TV cable) because people can't set up the TV cable correctly. This tells me that this seemingly simple operation is misunderstood on a ridiculously widespread level.

Since you had a non-stock throttle cam on your engine, it would not surprise me one bit if you didn't have the right pull on your TV cable.

What I've been told about the high power failure mode of the TH-125 is that the intermediate band doesn't have enough oomph and can't bring the transmission solidly into 2nd gear. The band applies, but doesn't produce enough torque to stop the drum from rotating, which in turn cooks both the band and the drum. If you're cooking *clutches*, especially if you're cooking clutches in light duty driving, then you don't have enough line pressure. 99% of the time, this is a problem with the TV cable.

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2009 06:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Will

14242 posts
Member since Jun 2000

The chain # is 8660099. BTW I just got all the parts needed including a tranny filter and the needed gaskets/seals for under $200 can.

Here is all the info you'll need:

http://hotimg25.fotki.com/a.../125_tranny_good.jpg

I will post picks later.

Interesting info. I have one each of the both styles of 38/32 chain for the 2.39 final. I actually have these parts for a *performance* build on the AWD TH-125 in my Pontiac 6000.
Here's why that's a performance part:
THe TH-125, even as built as it can get, is very torque limited. The steep chain ratio of 33/37 puts 1.12 times engine torque through the transmission. This means that if the transmission can handle 300 ftlbs (for example), the strongest engine you can put in front of it makes 267 ftlbs.
With the 37/33 chain set, you can put a 336 ftlbs engine with the 300 ftlbs transmission. With the 38/32 chain set, you can go to 356 ftlbs at the crank.

The torque limitation of the transmission effectively limits axle torque, and thus maximum acceleration. If you have long gears, then you can hold that max acceleration to a higher speed. With a given engine, you lose acceleration by going to taller gears, but you can make that back by increasing engine torque (IE, turbo, engine swap, etc).

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2009 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post

They built and installed them all, so I assume they know how to adjust it being only a trans shop. Manual body didnt have a cable.

I do not call into question your bad experiences with the TH-125H but we've seen this transmissons successfully used for very high power V8 applications with great success. JPT transmission in Eaton Rapids MI. has built 100's of bulletproof TH-125H's. A good portion are used with V8's and still running fine. I've noticed that on their boxes the shifts are very harsh, leading me to believe that they run very high line pressures to keep the expanded clutch packs from slipping and burning. If your trans burned out from just normal use then I would call into question how the rebuilds were done. If they used a B&M shift kit then I can see the problem. Those shift kits were not designed properly.
I believe that the success of any perfornance trans rebuild lies in the hands and skill of the builder and IMO there aren't many shops that know how to rebuild the TH-125H properly. We won't argue the point on your experience. All we can do is weigh it against the positive expereinces.

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

DandRauto

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2009 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DandRautoSend a Private Message to DandRautoDirect Link to This Post
This series of post then requires info on:

Which stift kits are the good ones?
What is the desired target line pressure?
How do you get the line pressure there? specific spring or washers in valve body?
What or how do you get and know the TV adjustment is right. Assume it's not the same as in the factory service manual? i guess?

Any one help or input on answers. About to rebuild my 125C.
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2009 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DandRauto:

This series of post then requires info on:

Which stift kits are the good ones?
What is the desired target line pressure?
How do you get the line pressure there? specific spring or washers in valve body?
What or how do you get and know the TV adjustment is right. Assume it's not the same as in the factory service manual? i guess?

Any one help or input on answers. About to rebuild my 125C.

Answers to the above:
1. Use the Trans Go shift kit. The B&M's do not work very well. We've used both and can say from expereince.
2. Line pressures vary according to gear and position of the TV cable. Maximum line pressures can be up to 175-180 PSI in drive.
3. The base line pressure is set by the pump and control valve assembly . It is regulated by the TV cable position
4. TV cable adjustment is easy. Just go the post on the forum right now.

If you rebuild use the GM manual and try to locate a rebuild video that will guide you through the process.

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

86fieroEarl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 117
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2009 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fieroEarlSend a Private Message to 86fieroEarlDirect Link to This Post
I don't think a TH 125 will hold up to a 3800 na they have about the same power as a 4.9 And the th-125 I had lasted less than a week behind a 4.9 The th-125 had no more than 80k miles on it, You will be better off with a 4t60 or 4t60 E I would even take a fieros isuzu 5speed over a TH-125
If your lucky and it last for more than a week you will hate it when traveling on the freeway out of town
I also find it hard to believe ppl ran them behind v8s running 10s without them breaking And if they did they spent a small fortune on it(and still sweat bullets when driving), Those transmissions was only built to handle the 4cyl duke with only 90hp and torc, Rebuilding one is nothing but a temp fix before your replacing a transmission, I know I would hate having to yank the transmission out every week or other week because im trying to use a weaker th-125
And a Th-125 is alot weaker then a 4t60 and 4t60E, If you can run OBD2 on the 3800na engine Why not go with a 4t65E (alot stronger) Or better yet a 4t65E-HD transmission? With the 4t65E you can later throw a turbo on it and not worry.

The 4t60E, 4t65E and 4t65E-HD uses electronic shifting instead of the annoying TV cable ( if not adjustred properly will also kill a transmission) If your running a OBD1 system then do a 4t60E if your running obd2 use the 4t65E or the stronger 4t65E- HD I bet for the cost of a rebuild and buff up on a th-125 will turn out to be a heck of alot more expensive then simply buying a lower mileage 4t60E, 4t65E, 4t65E-HD, I personally got my 4t65E-HD unit for 600bucks and its running behind a 3800 sc 2 engine without any complaints.

[This message has been edited by 86fieroEarl (edited 11-05-2009).]

carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2009 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonDirect Link to This Post
Technically the 4T60E uses vacuum modulation for line pressure and electronic solenoids for gear selection, so it's not fully electronic and easy, relatively, to control. The 65E series use PCM controlled line pressure and pretty much requires an OBD-II computer or an expensive aftermarket controller to make it work properly.

I have to admit the more I read about the 3T40... TH125C... the more that it sounds like the improper use of the TV is the cause of the failures. A lot of J-body owners use this tranny behind a lot of different swaps and turbos... it is not a weak tranny.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock