Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  anyone using Ground Control 7" coilover springs?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

anyone using Ground Control 7" coilover springs? by couldahadaV8
Started on: 04-02-2009 07:32 AM
Replies: 8
Last post by: Msaby on 11-07-2010 07:26 AM
couldahadaV8

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2009 07:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for couldahadaV8Click Here to visit couldahadaV8's HomePageSend a Private Message to couldahadaV8Direct Link to This Post
I have a chance to buy a set of Ground Control coilover springs/adaptors to convert the stock shocks to coilovers. I'm told that the springs are 7" long and this concerns me. From reading the various threads on converting to coilovers, it seems that most people use 12" or 10" springs. I want to lower the car a little from stock.

So, does anyone use this length of spring and is it OK for general street use? I would be concerned with the spring going into coil bind.

thanks,
Rick
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2009 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTDirect Link to This Post
I had them and they were a disaster. If you notice, I had to make a steel black spacer and install it under the red adjuster sleeve. The point was so that there would always be tension on the spring. Without the spacer, if you jack the car up, the spring basically falls to the side out of the seat.

Even if you try to lower it from this position with the spacer installed, the spring is too short and again pops out of the seat on heavy bumps.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 04-02-2009).]

rourke_87_T-Top

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2009 09:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rourke_87_T-TopSend a Private Message to rourke_87_T-TopDirect Link to This Post
Not recommended ! , I have a pair of these coilovers, I'm disappointed with the way they fit as they came, and only recently come to realize. I did order 400 # springs, I was going to fit onto a pair of Koni red special D struts, I have looked at how they will fit and am not prepared to cut the spring seats off of a brand new pair of Koni's, the sleeves are not long enough. I'm looking at ordering a longer set of sleeves, I will give them a try on my old KYB's. Here is a post from another set up for an idea. a good post to read if you are considering this set up but I wouldn't recommend it to someone that is looking for an easy direct fit. http://www.fierolt1.com/coilsnews.htm

[This message has been edited by rourke_87_T-Top (edited 04-03-2009).]

rourke_87_T-Top

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2009 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rourke_87_T-TopSend a Private Message to rourke_87_T-TopDirect Link to This Post

rourke_87_T-Top

1347 posts
Member since Jan 2009
If you have read to this point, the relocation brackets from HT motorsports to relocate the top of the struts necessary for the '88 cradle swap, the urethane bushings included with the brackets are nice and fit snug. I'll revisit this thread when I have more sorted on results.
rourke_87_T-Top

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2009 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rourke_87_T-TopSend a Private Message to rourke_87_T-TopDirect Link to This Post
I just contacted john@ground-control.com about this issue, I sent him a link to this thread, awaiting reply, feedback.
loudecuz

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2010 04:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for loudecuzClick Here to visit loudecuz's HomePageSend a Private Message to loudecuzDirect Link to This Post
That is because they are not supposed to slide all the way down the are supposed to use the original stop location not thread all the way down, I do not think he will reply because they wont get it I hope you sent the pic so he can seewhy the springs where too sort
loudecuz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2010 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for loudecuzClick Here to visit loudecuz's HomePageSend a Private Message to loudecuzDirect Link to This Post

loudecuz

117 posts
Member since Sep 2010
PS they are racing springs so they will come off that is why they send the wire ties and the holes are in the top so you can wire ty the top mounts to the springs
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2010 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by couldahadaV8:

I have a chance to buy a set of Ground Control coilover springs/adaptors to convert the stock shocks to coilovers. I'm told that the springs are 7" long and this concerns me. From reading the various threads on converting to coilovers, it seems that most people use 12" or 10" springs. I want to lower the car a little from stock.

So, does anyone use this length of spring and is it OK for general street use? I would be concerned with the spring going into coil bind.

thanks,
Rick

7 inch springs is only good if you are going to keep the stock perch mount but just trim it down...If you remove it and then try to use them they will fall out all the time..Just buy the threaded sleeves and springs seperate.....
Msaby

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2010 07:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MsabySend a Private Message to MsabyDirect Link to This Post
I have that same spring kit. When i raise the vehicle my springs don't fall out as a matter of fact i have the adjustment at its lowest point. My adjustment collars do not even touch the spring perches are you sure they sent you the right kit? My kit is on a set of stock struts though.

Mike

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock