Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Turbo 3.4 DOHC Build w/aluminum rods (Page 3)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
Turbo 3.4 DOHC Build w/aluminum rods by Scoobysruvenge
Started on: 07-17-2009 01:54 PM
Replies: 88
Last post by: Wallace on 12-20-2010 10:20 AM
Scoobysruvenge

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2009 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ScoobysruvengeSend a Private Message to ScoobysruvengeDirect Link to This Post
Update,

I got a call from Action yesterday letting me know that my 2006 Uplander 3.5 engine had arrived and was ready to be picked up, unfortunately I will be in Charleston on business until Late Friday after action is closed.
They are not open on the weekend so I will have to wait until Monday to pick it up and confirm 100% that this is indeed a forged crank, wish me luck…

I also have an update on the Megasquirt side of this project, as some of you may remember I plan to use Megasquirt for my fuel delivery.
My brother and I just got finished tuning his v6 Turbo Mustang and let me say it was both easy and pain free.
We loaded the parameters of his engine in the MS software and it gave us a base tune, we loaded it and it started on the first couple of cranks.
A quick ride through the hood while data logging and back to the garage we input the data log into the MS software and it gave us a revised tune, we loaded that tune and took a drive for a couple of miles pushing it to about 7 lbs of boost and data logging the whole time, back to the shop and one more dump of the data into the MS software to get a revised tune.
With the new tune we hit the street for real… Holt sh@t this pony is fast and smooth.
Time to remove the 7 lb spring and step up to the 14 and get a new tune from there it will be both springs for 21 lbs of boost.
I would like to say for all you guys hating on MS, it is awesome and took less than a day to get it tuned in. I’m sure going to the Dyno will merit a few tweaks to the curves but all in all you could drive it like you stole it like it is now and never touch the tune again.

Megasquirt is F#@king awesome.
IP: Logged
Scoobysruvenge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2009 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ScoobysruvengeSend a Private Message to ScoobysruvengeDirect Link to This Post

Scoobysruvenge

550 posts
Member since Apr 2009
Update,

I got a call from Action yesterday letting me know that my 2006 Uplander 3.5 engine had arrived and was ready to be picked up, unfortunately I will be in Charleston on business until Late Friday after action is closed.
They are not open on the weekend so I will have to wait until Monday to pick it up and confirm 100% that this is indeed a forged crank, wish me luck…

I also have an update on the Megasquirt side of this project, as some of you may remember I plan to use Megasquirt for my fuel delivery.
My brother and I just got finished tuning his v6 Turbo Mustang and let me say it was both easy and pain free.
We loaded the parameters of his engine in the MS software and it gave us a base tune, we loaded it and it started on the first couple of cranks.
A quick ride through the hood while data logging and back to the garage we input the data log into the MS software and it gave us a revised tune, we loaded that tune and took a drive for a couple of miles pushing it to about 7 lbs of boost and data logging the whole time, back to the shop and one more dump of the data into the MS software to get a revised tune.
With the new tune we hit the street for real… Holt sh@t this pony is fast and smooth.
Time to remove the 7 lb spring and step up to the 14 and get a new tune from there it will be both springs for 21 lbs of boost.
I would like to say for all you guys hating on MS, it is awesome and took less than a day to get it tuned in. I’m sure going to the Dyno will merit a few tweaks to the curves but all in all you could drive it like you stole it like it is now and never touch the tune again.

Megasquirt is F#@king awesome.
Scoobysruvenge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2009 09:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ScoobysruvengeSend a Private Message to ScoobysruvengeDirect Link to This Post
Checked my email today and found this…

I am still abroad. I will be home in 2 weeks. I'm not sure what you would like to do. Are you planning on waiting for me to return or would you rather take a look at it prior to. I'm not sure what we discussed. Thanks for your continued interest.

Subject: RE: 1996 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP Needs Trans - $250
To: dmellinger@XXXXX.com
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2009 12:58:18 -0500

I hope to pick the car up new years day, it has been a long wait but well worth the preferred 96 engine. I chose 96 because the 96/97 engines have the best intake, make slightly more HP, the 96 uses the 35mm lifters vs the 97s 33mm pieces.

The importance of this is that aftermarket lifters are available in the 35mm size, more importantly 35mm is a common DOHC lifter size, finding a taller one will allow for more of a choice when the cams are reground as the taller lifter adds material to all lobes of the cam that then need to re-ground allowing for specs that could not be achieved without expensive custom camshafts.

In other news I go today to pick up my 3500 engine at Action, hopefully I should be able to get the crank out and down Lewis at The Shop this weekend and get some real measurements and advice on how to proceed.
Before the crank can be ground I will need the block to take some hard measurements so I can get the final numbers.

I will post my Action adventure when I have the 3.5 in hand.
Scoobysruvenge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2009 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ScoobysruvengeSend a Private Message to ScoobysruvengeDirect Link to This Post

Scoobysruvenge

550 posts
Member since Apr 2009
An early lunch and I was off to Action Auto Parts to pick up my 2005 3.5 Uplander engine.

I rolled out from Richmond and headed for Hopewell on a short timeline.

The gods of HP plagued me all manner of pestilence on my journey to Hopewell including one of the hurried drivers worst enemies… The dreaded blue haired driver in a hay truck no less.

Finally blowing past the geriatric hay wagon I made it to the Hopewell exit.

Bobbing and weaving the whole way, I finally made it to the turn off for Action

I wheeled into the parking lot with sugar plumbs and forged cranks running through my head shut the engine down and proceeded inside.

Mark was nowhere to be found, but young Raymond was on deck and ready to do business.

I paid the 183.75 for the Uplander engine with 42K on it (what a deal) and drove around to pick up my prize.

I looked the engine over and it looked solid, I have 30 days to return it if I find a problem

James loaded it in the truck and back to Richmond

Scoobysruvenge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2009 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ScoobysruvengeSend a Private Message to ScoobysruvengeDirect Link to This Post
Finally got the 3.5 to the garage for inspection.

Put it on an engine stand, I was a little worried as the aluminum pan and intake had some oxidation on them.

Note the oxidation on the pan.

Upon opening my worries were over, the bottom end was immaculate, no trash, sludge or any other imperfections to worry about. This engine looked to have 42k as stated by action when they sold it to me.

It goes to show that you can get a decent used engine on the cheap if you haggle some. This engine listed for 500$ and I got it for 175$ with a little tom foolery.

If Joe Upson is still watching here can you tell me what 3 digit casting number you have on your crank???

No more time now I have to be in Charleston for the week, but when I get back I will remove the crank and get it to the machine shop.

Thanks for looking.

gt40racer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2010 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gt40racerClick Here to visit gt40racer's HomePageSend a Private Message to gt40racerDirect Link to This Post
What happened to this?
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2010 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
1 year later *BUMP*
carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2010 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonDirect Link to This Post
This guy is one of the most random ever on Pennocks... He has another thread about supercharging the 3500 with a custom manifold... Good luck, he hasn't posted for a while.

[This message has been edited by carbon (edited 12-02-2010).]

Wallace

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2010 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WallaceSend a Private Message to WallaceDirect Link to This Post
Hi, this is Scooby's brother. I bought the Fiero and the 3500 from him and plan to do the swap. I have another project in front of this one that needs to be done first. I'll start a new thread when I begin the swap. In the meantime I've tried searching this forum for information on what I need to buy or modify/fabricate to physically put the engine in the car but haven't had much luck. Could someone provide a link or where I could look to find that info? Thanks.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock