rear decklid scoops? by wyatt
Started on: 08-13-2009 08:19 AM
Replies: 24
Last post by: Tha Driver on 11-14-2010 04:01 AM
wyatt

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2009 08:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wyattSend a Private Message to wyattDirect Link to This Post
i have noticed that a lot of you guys have scoops fitted onto the decklids . could you post pics and let me know where you get them from. as i would like to see whats avalible out there.
thanks.

------------------
2004 yamaha r1
1987 fiero gt

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
project34

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2009 08:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Direct Link to This Post
I know there currently is one offered by The Fiero Store, their part number 92006:

However, I'd think the cost of shipping that to Australia would be enormous.

Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2009 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post

This is the Mopar Six pack. I have it on mine, but the yellow version looks way cool.

I got it on Ebay. Just search Mopar Six Pack

Arn

------------------

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2009 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post
What are your plans to attachment? Will you be fiberglassing one in?
Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2009 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post
I am using an early Trans Am Shaker scoop attached to the decklid.
I bought it from: http://www.carparts.com/EAR...0&zmap=10618-2010331

Here is what it looks like: (mine is offset due to the location of the carb)

------------------

Happiness isn't around the corner...
Happiness IS the corner.

ZZ4 Powered !!

[This message has been edited by Oreif (edited 08-13-2009).]

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2009 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
The Mustang hood scoops are common. I also used one from a late-model Dodge pickup truck for a customer. I had to widen it 4" to cover the decklid. See photos below.

It's similar to the Mustang scoop, but isn't as boxy looking.

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 06-30-2010).]

Daredevil05

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2009 02:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daredevil05Send a Private Message to Daredevil05Direct Link to This Post
The front hood up is a big give away clue. I know that car but I won't let the cat out of the bag. All I can say that it is one of nicest looking Fiero around to this date.

Originally posted by Blacktree:

The Mustang hood scoops are common. I also used one from a late-model Dodge pickup truck for a customer. I had to widen it 4" to cover the decklid. See photos below.

It's similar to the Mustang scoop, but isn't as boxy looking.

[This message has been edited by Daredevil05 (edited 08-13-2009).]

wyatt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2009 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wyattSend a Private Message to wyattDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for all the pics guys.
That yellow one is cool..
now with fitting do they need to be fibreglassed in as 2.5 member asked? or do they just bolt on like a wrx hood scoop?
If its complicated and needs fibreglassing I will probably get a shop to do it as ive never fibreglassed before.
Do you have the scoops as cosmetic upgrades only or is there a functional reason for fitting them on your cars.
I plan on fitting a turbo in the future with a top mount intercooler, So the scoop will give me more room to fit the intercooler.. and allow it to get fresh air via some type of thermo fan i will fit also.
thanks Wyatt
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2009 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
It depends on the scoop. Most of the Mustang hood scoops have built-in bolts, so you can just bolt 'em on. The six-pack scoops like on the yellow car usually do not have mounting hardware. Some have a lip around the edge that can be used to tape or fiberglass it on.

If you intend to have the scoop molded in, make sure it's fiberglass, not plastic. Fiberglass doesn't bond to ABS plastic very well. (the plastic ones are usually ABS)
falcon_ca

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2009 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for falcon_caSend a Private Message to falcon_caDirect Link to This Post
Mine is a stang one. Bought locally, bolted and glazed in.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2009 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by wyatt:

I plan on fitting a turbo in the future with a top mount intercooler, So the scoop will give me more room to fit the intercooler.. and allow it to get fresh air via some type of thermo fan i will fit also.
thanks Wyatt

You may want to look at doing that 1st so you know you get a scoop big enough.
You can attach them many ways, but fiberglassing looks the best when done well.
PFF
System Bot
project34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2009 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by falcon_ca:

That looks good, falcon_ca. Just the paint alone on that looks great!

Is that decklid scoop actually functional? If it is, I'd be very interested in learning how you made it so.
MulletproofMonk

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2010 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MulletproofMonkClick Here to visit MulletproofMonk's HomePageSend a Private Message to MulletproofMonkDirect Link to This Post
Bump to see other ideas...

------------------
-Brian

My 87 GT Poly Suspension Upgrade (all pics) thread
Removing the roof panel

IFLYR22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2010 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IFLYR22Send a Private Message to IFLYR22Direct Link to This Post
I just extended out the factory "Hump" over the engine and cut out the remainder to vent it. I does not extend up into my rear view mirror as much.

I then used the left over back half to make a vent for the front hood.

-Dave

edited for grammatical errors.

[This message has been edited by IFLYR22 (edited 06-29-2010).]

White88Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2010 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for White88FormulaSend a Private Message to White88FormulaDirect Link to This Post
What do these scoops do? Just vent hot air out? since they are facing the rear of the car they arent bringing in any air or are they?
ConvictedRedneck

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2010 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ConvictedRedneckSend a Private Message to ConvictedRedneckDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by White88Formula:

What do these scoops do? Just vent hot air out? since they are facing the rear of the car they arent bringing in any air or are they?

Some members have done their own "wind tunnel" tests (using strips of streamers and such) and have found that air actually wraps up around the rear of the car towards the rear window. The air actually then flows into the scoop down into the engine bay.
White88Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2010 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for White88FormulaSend a Private Message to White88FormulaDirect Link to This Post
Hmm, I see, Just seemed like since it wasnt facing forward it wouldnt do anything but vent, but either way its better then no vent
Mike Murphy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2010 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike MurphySend a Private Message to Mike MurphyDirect Link to This Post

From 79 Trans Am shaker hood

24 Valves underneath

79 TA fender air extractors in hood

[This message has been edited by Mike Murphy (edited 06-29-2010).]

hye_4_life

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2010 11:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hye_4_lifeSend a Private Message to hye_4_lifeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mike Murphy:

From 79 Trans Am shaker hood

That looks a little more like the early second generation Trans Am (1970-1976) shaker as opposed to the later second generation (1977-1981) since it's more rounded instead of chiseled with sharper lines.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2010 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
The way the air goes thru the engine compartment to cool is its sucked up from underneath and goes out thru the factory vent....or any you add on. You dont want any air forced in at the top. It would not allow the heat to escape as easily and actually make the engine bay run hotter.
Francis T

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2010 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
Both have extractor fans inside them:

Home made on my 87GT

On my 86GT turbo

------------------
[IMG]

trueleo.com
RSpiderII@aol.com

PFF
System Bot
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2010 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

The way the air goes thru the engine compartment to cool is its sucked up from underneath and goes out thru the factory vent....or any you add on. You dont want any air forced in at the top. It would not allow the heat to escape as easily and actually make the engine bay run hotter.

Roger, you are only partly right. The air that comes up through the grates is not very great as far as my experiments have found, and in case you missed it, in the center of the deck the air runs forward and with high force when at speed. In stock configuration it turns into turbulence behind the window as the air spill over the roof line.

This is the reason the rear facing scoops draw air into the engine bay when at speed. The air still exits out the grates, but, if you want it to work well in hot conditions, you want a fan to blow in toward the engine and not out. When I had fans blowing out, they actually stalled at about 60 mph.

Arn
GADJet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2010 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GADJetSend a Private Message to GADJetDirect Link to This Post
Was searching around today and found this tread. So then I got to looking for places to find a scoop.

Has anyone ever used this site? http://www.car-stuff.com/ca...entrepf130101p483387
That price is really cheap. I just dont want to fall victim of a scam artist. Thanks.
retroman

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2010 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for retromanSend a Private Message to retromanDirect Link to This Post
The whole thing with airflow sounds alot like the tailgate up/tailgate down controversy on pick up trucks, which was put to rest by the Mythbusters. We know that airflow will always go from a high pressure area to a low pressure area, so the way I see it is that the area directly behind the rear window is a low pressure area causing the high pressure air coming over the roofline to curve back around into a bubble alot like the tailgate myth. So yeah, I could see cool air going into the scoop. If you look at it another way, it's the same principle as a cowl induction scoop: high pressure air hitting the windshield goes into the scoop because of the lower pressure air in the engine compartment.
Tha Driver

Feedback score:    (46)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 204
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2010 04:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GADJet:

Was searching around today and found this tread. So then I got to looking for places to find a scoop.

Has anyone ever used this site? http://www.car-stuff.com/ca...entrepf130101p483387
That price is really cheap. I just dont want to fall victim of a scam artist. Thanks.

You don't want plastic - you want fiberglass.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

What would you be if you were attached to another object by an inclined plane wrapped helically around an axis?
Screwed.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock