Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  How to buy a 3800 engine from LKQ-The good, the bad...

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

How to buy a 3800 engine from LKQ-The good, the bad... by NashvilleFiero
Started on: 06-25-2010 12:04 AM
Replies: 10
Last post by: SNAPPY829 on 06-28-2010 08:57 AM
NashvilleFiero

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2010 12:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NashvilleFieroSend a Private Message to NashvilleFieroDirect Link to This Post
Hi Guys!
Just thought I would fill you in on how to get an engine from LKQ, if they only do wholesale in your state and you don't own a business.

First, go to the LKQ site. Find some engines you like. The prices you see are WHOLESALE, NOT YOUR PRICE. Next, go to Advanced Auto. Have them order it. The store manager will know how to order these, but the regular staff do not typically have a clue what you are talking about.

The good:
1. Lots of 3800s for decent price with low mileage. All engines are checked to make sure they run well.
2. Engine gets delivered to Advanced.
3. Eventually all LKQs will sell to the public, they tell me.

The bad:
1. NO WARRANTY unless you can provide a VIN that is the same model as vehicle you are putting in to. I think that is crappy!!!
2. Advance tacks on a surcharge. Seems like it is about $100. The prices are pretty good, though you may do better if you know the salvage world better than I do.
3. Engines are constantly being sold. Thus, the exact engine you want may not be available when you get to Advanced.

Best approach:
Be nice to ordering people at Advanced. Go in EARLY when it is not busy. There does not seem to be any logic to LKQ's pricing. I went in looking for a 3800 with 14k on it. This engine was gone. I was a bit peeved, but I thought I would make the best of it. I then nicely asked the woman at LKQ to find the lowest mileage 3800 she had. She found a 3800 out of a 2007 Lucerne that had 2k on it! Woo hoo! $598.

Hope this helps someone else.

Brit

------------------
If you ever have a questions about the sincerity of the circle of Fiero owners on this site, take a look at:
"In Memoriam: Fiero Members"

Pretty impressive.....

Avatar is of an actual Fiero on fire

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
86GTBen

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2010 12:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GTBenSend a Private Message to 86GTBenDirect Link to This Post
im from Maryland you think they would deliver that far?. do you have a link for their site?
NashvilleFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2010 06:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NashvilleFieroSend a Private Message to NashvilleFieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86GTBen:

im from Maryland you think they would deliver that far?. do you have a link for their site?

http://www.lkqcorp.com/home/home.asp

If you have an Advanced Auto, there is no shipping cost.
Jasona84

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2010 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jasona84Send a Private Message to Jasona84Direct Link to This Post
You are awesome! Thanks for that!
Joseph Upson

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2010 09:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonDirect Link to This Post
If you work for a business that has an auto or parts section you can have it shipped there, or if you have a friend that works at a related business you can take that route and pay cash. In order to get my engine shipped which was part of the purchase within about 40 miles, I had them deliver it to a local sears automotive since they didn't ship to private addresses. They called when they were on their way and I was there waiting on them after which the engine was pushed off of their truck and on to mine.
shuribob

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2010 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for shuribobSend a Private Message to shuribobDirect Link to This Post
Nashville this is great information. This is what a forum is all about. I'll be looking fo a transplant drivetrain sometime in the future and this gives me another option. Thanks again!
86GTBen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2010 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GTBenSend a Private Message to 86GTBenDirect Link to This Post
this could be amazing lol. i know a guy in my advance auto parts that has a fiero. i go in and talk with him all the time. he acutally just bought me the 2010 calander and a fiero cap. great guy. also me and all my buddies have a level 4 commercial account we use. but i could definitly get them to help me out with that
DefEddie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2010 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DefEddieSend a Private Message to DefEddieDirect Link to This Post
Autozone can get used engines also.
They are from their Evercraft supplier I believe it is.
Most stores don't let you know they can get salvage parts.
They do come with some type of warranty also.
You will need to lookup the applicable vehicle,but they have a 1800 number they can call.
If anybody needs more info on the autozone option let me know and i'll look into it more.
I don't mess with or even offer the salvage/evercraft stuff much-but employees use it sometimes.
86GTBen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2010 12:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GTBenSend a Private Message to 86GTBenDirect Link to This Post
so how exactly does advance order it? through the site? or you have to do it and just use their address?
NashvilleFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2010 08:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NashvilleFieroSend a Private Message to NashvilleFieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86GTBen:

so how exactly does advance order it? through the site? or you have to do it and just use their address?

Advanced called LKQ for me. You pick up engine at store.

[This message has been edited by NashvilleFiero (edited 06-27-2010).]

SNAPPY829

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2010 08:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SNAPPY829Send a Private Message to SNAPPY829Direct Link to This Post
I work for advance and the warrantee should still apply, make sure you follow the instructions on the tag that comes with the engine and save receipts for fluids and record mileages. The engines are tested and we have not had any issues with returns on them at our store. Any advance should be be well aware of how to order them as we call them for "salvage" parts every day for hard to find or discontinued parts, they also have dirt cheap brand new aftermarket headlight/ taillight assemblys.

------------------
If I only had ONE more part it will be finished...... famous last words.....

PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock