v8 Swap Exhaust, Help! by Tzone21
Started on: 08-10-2010 09:34 AM
Replies: 11
Last post by: batboy on 08-10-2010 09:58 PM
Tzone21

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2010 09:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tzone21Send a Private Message to Tzone21Direct Link to This Post
Hey guys im just finishing up the work on my 327 SBC v8 swap and im completly redoing the exhaust. i have some shorty 5/8 block hugger headers im putting on (clearence issues) i was thinking 2.5' pipes with mandrel bends but im looking for a muffler to put on. I want an aggressive sound but still decently quiet. At the moment i can wake up the neighbors just at idle. Any suggestions will be appreciated
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
batboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2010 09:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for batboySend a Private Message to batboyDirect Link to This Post
Might check out Magnaflow mufflers, Summit Racing has a wide assortment in different sizes.
Tumble weed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2010 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tumble weedSend a Private Message to Tumble weedDirect Link to This Post
I ran mine off sanderson cc90 headers down to where they merged together (y pipe because of 8-4 and 5-7 in firing order) down by the oil pan on the passengerside. I had the rear pipe lengthened for balance and then into a single in, dual out flowmaster muffler. It's still kind of loud, not as loud as the modified mustangs that run around this area.

Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2010 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryDirect Link to This Post
I don't know what the smog requirements are in South Carolina, but even if they're non-existent for older cars, you still might consider what I've done. Rather than using mufflers, I used two universal cats and a pair of (somewhat useless) glass packed tips. The cats quiet the engine down at idle so it sounds like a stock Camaro engine, but when you crack the throttle open, it growls. They probably quiet the engine down by as much as 70% over an open exhaust so it's not at all an offensive sound. Here's the part numbers I used in case you're interested in doing a comparison:

Dual exhaust system - 2.5" Heddman 90 deg mandrel bends (P/N 12018) custom welded;
Dual three-way universal catalytic converters 2.5" inlets, 2.5" outlets, with A.I.R. (unless you have an AIR pump, you would use two-way cats, ie without AIR)
Dual Monza 2.25" single inlet, 2.5" dual outlet (P/N 95-9905)

tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2010 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Direct Link to This Post
I am running 2" ram horns with a homemade y-pipe running through the stock V6 muffler and tailpipes. It actually works quite well. It's no high performance setup, but it sounds good.

------------------
1986 SE 350 V8

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2010 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
When I first did my swap in 2003, I used some heartthrob turbo tube mufflers. They are about the size of a glass pack, but inside it is a chambered turbo muffler. They sounded very good at idle, but more agressive at WOT:
http://www.jcwhitney.com/hi...485.jcwx?filterid=j1

The Flowtech Afterburner muffler will fit in the stock fiero location and comes in a couple of different inlets and outlets. I switched to the 3" in dual 2.5" out Afterburner to get something a bit more roudy... it is fairly loud at idle, not bad at interstate speeds, but LOUD at WOT... when I get home I can post some you tube videos

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 08-10-2010).]

Red355SBC84

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2010 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Red355SBC84Send a Private Message to Red355SBC84Direct Link to This Post
Supertrapps are nice. Expensive though. ebay is your friend here.
mafv8

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2010 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mafv8Send a Private Message to mafv8Direct Link to This Post
I have 2.5" ramhorns, with 2.5" downpipes that merge into a 3" pipe and into a Dyno-max Ultra flo muffler with 2 x 2.5' outlets, pretty quite at idle and livens up with more throttle, the muffler is a straight thru design, but its big with lots of volume hence its effectivness, although I did cut out the bottom of the trunk to fit it all in with gentle bends, using madrel bent tubes.

------------------
84SE, aero body, 4 speed and an injected 355 V8

garage monster

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2010 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for garage monsterSend a Private Message to garage monsterDirect Link to This Post
I have a 383 in mine. I used older Corvette ram's horns. Both pipes merge just as they cross under the rear cradle cross piece. I used mandrel bends bought on ebay. The muffler is a full size Flowmaster with single in and dual outs. Corvette dual tip exhaust tips are used. The muffler is in the stock location and the trunk is not cut. No cat. Sounds like a V8 but not too loud. Just enough that enthusiasts instantly realize it is not stock.
Jefrysuko

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2010 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JefrysukoSend a Private Message to JefrysukoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tzone21:

i have some shorty 5/8 block hugger headers im putting on (clearence issues)

If you want to avoid the clearance issues and use the 2.5" Ramshorn manifolds that most people use I have a set that I never used which I need to get rid of.

Here is a link from when I got them.
OH10fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2010 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OH10fieroSend a Private Message to OH10fieroDirect Link to This Post
Might want to contact V8 Archie for this, he has done hundreds of V8 swaps and has done many different kinds exhaust for various customers. Go with the expert on this one as he will has done them all and more importantly HEARD (exhaust note) them all.
PFF
System Bot
batboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2010 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batboySend a Private Message to batboyDirect Link to This Post
Specifically, which block hugger headers do you have? Most people use Sanderson CC90 if they go the headers route.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock