Started on: 08-18-2010 12:04 PM
Replies: 20
Last post by: Fieroseverywhere on 08-19-2010 04:36 PM
josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2010 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
When I replaced my fuel pump for my 4.9 swap I could see that there was one nipple on the tank closed off, and nothing was connected there. I Removed the passenger side quarter panel this morning and had SOME access to the tank:

There is a nipple on the tank, and a hose coming down on one side. There is a bracket rusted away with one sheet metal screw in it.

Anybody have access to one off of the car for a photo of it. I need to see where the mounting bolts are, and where the hose connects on the expansion tank. Can this be removed with out removing the rear body section?

All of the metal butcher work was performed by a PO. I added in new metal to repair that "piece of work'.

[This message has been edited by josef644 (edited 08-18-2010).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Fieroseverywhere

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2010 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereDirect Link to This Post
I don't have one off the car but I can offer some help on the mounting bolts. There are 3 total (or should be ). 2 can be got at from the bottom when the inner fender is removed. The last one is on top. The easiest way to get to it is to remove the passenger side quarter window (sail panel). The last bolt can be reached from the rear bottom corner when the panel is removed. Of course this is easier said then done. As you know there are a few steps needed to take off that quarter window also. Slide seat all the way forward and lean forward, remove seatbelt upper bolt, remove passenger side "B" pillar, yours is an 88 so the speaker may be in the way, take out the 10mm Bolt inside the frame that holds the panel, then you can get it off. Hopefully yours won't be siliconed in place like mine was. What a PITA that was!

That lower tube coming off the tank should go to the main fuel tank. The upper one goes to the vapor canister. Once you get it off the car clean the inside real well. Any rust or debris left inside can make their way down to your fuel pump. Hope this is some help Joe.

[This message has been edited by Fieroseverywhere (edited 08-18-2010).]

josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2010 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
Where at on the canister? I am thinking I might need to replace this one as it has been open to ????????? for no telling how long.

Using the 'Search" I found this thread. Lots of good information there.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...100421-2-093201.html

GT-X

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2010 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GT-XSend a Private Message to GT-XDirect Link to This Post
I'll get you a pic, give me 10 min.

~Tyler
GT-X

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2010 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GT-XSend a Private Message to GT-XDirect Link to This Post

GT-X

1506 posts
Member since Feb 2003
Sorry for the delay photobucket is borked had to use PiP. Hope this helps

[This message has been edited by GT-X (edited 08-18-2010).]

josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2010 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
Thanks GT-X. looks like I am missing some hose, metal lines and stuff.
GT-X

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2010 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GT-XSend a Private Message to GT-XDirect Link to This Post
Want these ones?
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2010 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
Yes sure, how much shipped to 77364? You can cut the long lines in half, I can put them back together with hose and clamps. Just mark them with a paint stripe long ways first so I can get them straight together.

Fieroseverywhere

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2010 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by josef644:

Where at on the canister? I am thinking I might need to replace this one as it has been open to ????????? for no telling how long.

Using the 'Search" I found this thread. Lots of good information there.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...100421-2-093201.html

For the canister line a rubber hose connects the x-tank to a metal line that runs along the firewall all the way over to the drivers side. From there a rubber hose connects the metal line to the canister. The x-tank to main tank had a metal line also. Don't recall completely. I pulled my parts from an 88 coupe at a wrecking yard and its been a while.

Good thread. I like his method of getting at the upper bolt better then mine. I wonder if there is a difference with fastback versus notchie? Mine was a notch when I did my tank swap. I don't recall it being that easy to reach.

[This message has been edited by Fieroseverywhere (edited 08-18-2010).]

GT-X

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2010 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GT-XSend a Private Message to GT-XDirect Link to This Post
Let me get it all pulled off and boxed up and I'll let you know.

~Tyler
GT-X

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2010 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GT-XSend a Private Message to GT-XDirect Link to This Post

GT-X

1506 posts
Member since Feb 2003
I got everything pulled off.I have a few questions though. The expansion tank system consists of three hard lines. One from the gas tank to the expansion tank. Then there are two from the expansion tank, across the firewall, to the evaporation canister, being split about in the middle of the car and joined by about a three inch length of hose.

Which of these do you need? Or do you need all three? Do you need my expansion tank? It's not nearly as rusty as it seems in the picture and is still quite solid. From your picture I surmise you will at least need the mounting brackets for the expansion tank.

You are welcome to any or all of it, no charge. Just cover shipping which shouldn't be much.

~Tyler
PFF
System Bot
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2010 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by GT-X:

I got everything pulled off.I have a few questions though. The expansion tank system consists of three hard lines. One from the gas tank to the expansion tank. Then there are two from the expansion tank, across the firewall, to the evaporation canister, being split about in the middle of the car and joined by about a three inch length of hose.

Which of these do you need? Or do you need all three? Do you need my expansion tank? It's not nearly as rusty as it seems in the picture and is still quite solid. From your picture I surmise you will at least need the mounting brackets for the expansion tank.

You are welcome to any or all of it, no charge. Just cover shipping which shouldn't be much.

~Tyler

Tyler, all I have is a rusty expansion tank that I won't try to use. There was a mud dobber nest next to the tank. No telling what is inside this one. A previous owner removed all of these parts and added some 12 inch speakers behind both seats threw the firewall areas. Passenger side was butchered real bad. I would love to have all of it to put back in the car so I can fill my tank back up with fuel.

Repairing the damages firewall:
Passenger side

Driver side

I would be more than happy to pay you for your expenses and troubles. Do you have a PayPal account?

josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2010 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post

josef644

6939 posts
Member since Nov 2006

Originally posted by Fieroseverywhere:

For the canister line a rubber hose connects the x-tank to a metal line that runs along the firewall all the way over to the drivers side. From there a rubber hose connects the metal line to the canister. The x-tank to main tank had a metal line also. Don't recall completely. I pulled my parts from an 88 coupe at a wrecking yard and its been a while.

Good thread. I like his method of getting at the upper bolt better then mine. I wonder if there is a difference with fastback versus notchie? Mine was a notch when I did my tank swap. I don't recall it being that easy to reach.

My canister has three hoses now, The largest one goes to the tank, the med size and smaller on go to two metal lines across the back of the car, then to the throttle body M_M's photo, #'s 1 and 2.
Fieroseverywhere

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2010 12:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereDirect Link to This Post
I don't remember there being a 3rd line. If its there I'm not using it.

I'm using the caddy purge can so it changes things a bit. X-tank to can solenoid, can to TPCV (intergraded on fiero canister), TPCV to throttle body. The third line on the canister is for fresh air. Nothing attaches to it. Its been so long since I've seen a fiero can I can't really remember what it looks like. Anyway. I'm sure you'll have it figured out in no time. Later joe.

[This message has been edited by Fieroseverywhere (edited 08-19-2010).]

GT-X

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2010 12:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GT-XSend a Private Message to GT-XDirect Link to This Post
PM sent.
GT-X

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2010 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GT-XSend a Private Message to GT-XDirect Link to This Post

GT-X

1506 posts
Member since Feb 2003
I think three lines at the canister is correct. The one that you have going to the tank is probably the one that should go to the top of the expansion tank. Sounds like the previous owner just bypassed the expansion tank by swapping that hose. I'll send you all three anyhow. That way you can make sure you have everything correct.

If you need any more pics let me know I have two '88s here. One with no body on it so pics are easy.

~Tyler
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2010 09:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
Thanks Tyler.

Thanks FEW
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 572
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2010 09:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
See 22P, fuel system, and 87SM or 88SM, EVAP system. Download... http://www.fieronews.net/fusion/downloads.php

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

Fieroseverywhere

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2010 09:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereDirect Link to This Post
Hey Joe. I took another look at mine again and realized I made a mistake. It routes backwards from what I said earlier. X-tank to TPCV (tank pressure contorl valve), TPCV to vap can input, Solenoid output to throttle body. There is also a second (or third ) vac line from the throttle body to TPCV. This is the line that opens the valve when the engine is running allowing fuel vapors to move to the can. That must be the third line you guys are talking about. I was confused because its not a line fuel vapors travel through. It just opens the valve based on engine vacume. Hope this helps eliminate any confusion I might have caused.

josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2010 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
I have it all figured out , just don't have all of then parts here yet. I am gonna put it back together factory style.

I got to thinking about the tank. It had the 5/8" nipple closed and soldered up. Where is the tank vent for the filler hose? I got back underneath and took a good look.

It appears that some one has moved the filler vent pipe/ hose up about 2.5 inches. Thus allowing an additional amount of fuel to be added to this tank. I was reading every thread I could locate in the 'Search' yesterday evening. A member ,'84Bill", had figured out a way to allow extra fuel into the tank. I am thinking this is one of his clones.
His two threads:
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...040223-1-029716.html

and
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...100421-2-082612.html

[This message has been edited by josef644 (edited 08-19-2010).]

Fieroseverywhere

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2010 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereDirect Link to This Post
Cool. Thats something I've been wanting to do. Getting up the courage is my issue. I don't really like the idea of brazing a gas tank. That should give you a bit more capasity. Thing is its also increases your need for an expansion tank. Fuel expands at a pretty good rate when warmed. It needs somewhere to go when you tank is completely full.

PM Fieroguru. He knows lots about this subject and can help you out. He is one of the few I know of that has actually experimented with increasing the capasity of the 88 tank. We were just talking about it in another thread. I'll see if I can find it.

EDIT: Found it...
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/110368.html

[This message has been edited by Fieroseverywhere (edited 08-19-2010).]

PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay