Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Replacing Alternator 85 GT, Belt Diagrams?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Replacing Alternator 85 GT, Belt Diagrams? by IanT720
Started on: 09-20-2010 02:39 PM
Replies: 15
Last post by: Riddick85 on 09-23-2010 10:00 PM
IanT720

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2010 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Direct Link to This Post
Hi I just bought an 85 GT, anyway it needs a new alternator, and the lady I bought it from, her husband took the belt off the engine so...
any suggestions to put the alternator on?
Kind of Alternator?
Belt Diagram?

Thanks I would really like to do this at her place vs. Towing it home.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 86
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2010 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Direct Link to This Post
Routing diagram is very simple; using the face of a clock for directions the crank pulley would be at 6:00, the water pump at 12:00 and the alternator at about 9:00. There is no belt tensioner so you have to loosen the bottom bolt on the alternator to get some slack, then place the belt over all three pulleys and tighten it again with the alternator and tighten the bolt at the bottom.

fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2010 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
You need to download the 86 Service Manual. http://www.fieronews.net/fusion/downloads.php

Also see here: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...070315-2-073805.html

Automatic or manual? It makes a difference as to how you can get the thing out.
You will likely be cursing Fieros after this job

The 88 Fiero's better/smaller CS130 alternator (interchangeable) is in the picture here.

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 09-20-2010).]

Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2010 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryDirect Link to This Post
85 GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2010 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 GTSend a Private Message to 85 GTDirect Link to This Post
I dont care what the service manual says. You can not get the alternator out through the bottom. Save your self some frustration and pull the rear exhaust mainifold and blower tubes.

Dont forget to check/change the pulley as well. It is a real pain to do if you realize it needs to be done AFTER you put everything back together.(yup it happened to me)
2farnorth

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2010 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2farnorthSend a Private Message to 2farnorthDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85 GT:

I dont care what the service manual says. You can not get the alternator out through the bottom. Save your self some frustration and pull the rear exhaust mainifold and blower tubes.

Dont forget to check/change the pulley as well. It is a real pain to do if you realize it needs to be done AFTER you put everything back together.(yup it happened to me)

On a 4 speed manual trans it will come out the bottom.. Automatic comes out through the right wheel well

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 199
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2010 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post
On the two V6 Fieros that I've owned that I had to change alternators on, this is what I did:

1987 V6 / Automatic - On this car, I removed the transmission shielding pan, and the cruise control servo canister. I then unbolted the alternator (pivot and other bolt) and slide the alternator under the exhaust manifold through to the drivers side rear of the car and it came out really easily right there. Other than the alternator bolt, everything else was just a simple 10mm machine bolt. It sounds complicated, but it's really not that bad.

1985 GT / Manual - On this car, I was able to get it out through the rear passenger side wheel well. Not sure why I could do it on this car but couldn't on the 87.

------------------
Todd,
2008 Jeep Patriot Limited 4x2
2002 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr 4x2
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2010 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

I dont care what the service manual says.

I'm "hinting" that since he's a NEW Fiero owner and has no experience at all with them, he will need a Service Manual to fix his car for other problems too.

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 09-21-2010).]

IanT720

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2010 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Direct Link to This Post
okay thanx a lot for the pics it helps a lot.
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2010 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2farnorth:

On a 4 speed manual trans it will come out the bottom.. Automatic comes out through the right wheel well

what he said...and I wouldn't risk pulling the manifold if it has never been off the car, unless you want to chance breaking a bolt - different if the manifold is leaking and needs to be fixed, but why risk it when changing the alternator.

[This message has been edited by Mickey_Moose (edited 09-22-2010).]

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2010 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post

Sorry, this info is incorrect. You can pull it out the wheel well on an automatic and from the bottom on a manual tranny. I have done both. Some say to pull the tie-rod, but I didn't even have to do that on the auto tranny.

I wouldn't pull a manifold to replace an alternator.... too much of a risk for problems with broken bolts.
PFF
System Bot
85 GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2010 09:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 GTSend a Private Message to 85 GTDirect Link to This Post
I'll call you guys next time and you can show me.
IanT720

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2010 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Direct Link to This Post
Okay so the alternator is completely loose, the tires off, but the L shaped bracket that holds the Alternator is in the way. I removed the big bolt at the bottom the closest to the ground, and loosened the one at the top by the manifold but it will not swing out of the way?
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2010 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
you may have to take out the bracket, I can't remember if I removed mine or just loosen it. Just put a jack with a wood block under the oil pan to move the engine up and down, if needed.
IanT720

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2010 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Direct Link to This Post
will the engine move freely? for the most part?
Riddick85

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2010 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Riddick85Send a Private Message to Riddick85Direct Link to This Post
You can also change the alternator to the better CS style alternator. You have to change the plug that plugs into the alternator but that is easy. It is also physically smaller in size so it will be easier to put in and take back out if you change it again. I can't find the tread about it but use the search and you should find it.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock