One last post: 2.8L Supercharger!!! by AL87
Started on: 11-20-2010 03:15 AM
Replies: 12
Last post by: Raydar on 11-20-2010 12:22 PM
AL87

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2010 03:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Direct Link to This Post
I found a place that makes supercharger kits for the "2.8L Chevy"
meaning its compatable with the other 60* V6's!!!

http://www.fageolsuperchargers.com/

problem though is that the supercharger is not compatable with the 2.8 Fiero
I e-mailed the buisiness as to the reasons why.
It was listed that the supercharger "wasn't compatable" with the ECM vehicles, and that it can be applied still to the '86 s-10.
and can only be installed in "Longitudinal" engines.
I know this isn't true, you can get your chip reprogrammed, and somehow "will" it to work like you dreamed!

Anywho, wouldn't that make one bad-@$$ fiero if installed on top a 3.4? I foresee somewhere around 230-270 max hp
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
joshh44

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2010 03:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for joshh44Send a Private Message to joshh44Direct Link to This Post
i dont see a stock 2.8 with a bolted on supercharger make 230hp. thats almost an extra 100 hp over stock hp output. maybe on a 3.4 with some mods. then add the charger.

but i would totally grab a supercharger for the 2.8 for the extra power. to bad there isnt a bolt on supercharger for the fieros 2.8.

only supercharger i can see working is one of these style chargers.

i believe a member here has that style of supercharger on a 3.4. i. i just saw his website the other day and was looking threw it and saw the supercharged 3.4.
im going to guess its Fierosounds fiero if i seem to remember corectly
kellisor20

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2010 03:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kellisor20Send a Private Message to kellisor20Direct Link to This Post
Looks like you would also need new pulleys that would match the supercharger. I would strongly suggest forged pistons and connecting rods as well. Oh and larger fuel injectors to keep up with it. If you do this make sure you put in the 3.4 otherwise you'll break that little 2.8 i'm sure. I myself would do this with the 3.4 being freshly rebuilt, since its so much easier while its out. Its the smart thing too. I'd also throw in a cam and lifters, performance ones to match the direction you want to take. Best of luck to ya.

------------------
86 2.8 gt

DefEddie

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2010 03:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DefEddieSend a Private Message to DefEddieDirect Link to This Post
An 86 engine would have a carburetor right?And not restricted by as many emissions or standards of an ECM controlled OBDI vehicle (which started in 1987).
I could see 230 from a new engine with tuned carb,just a tuned carb and intake manifold would make more power than the 130.
On some products that aren't CARB or EPA approved they can only advertise for what it is legal for.
That's probrably the reason why the 3.4HT engine was for "Carb" only application,same for the 383 vortec engine-they don't advertise it as the drop in for the newer engines that it is.
It might very well drop right in,but everything will be set up for carb manifold-carb fueling-S10 accessories and ignition etc..
Sounds interesting anyway,if it's not any cheaper though a centrifugal charger fits most all vehicles(as do turbochargers).

From "S10 PDF"

"Our kits come setup with a drive ratio for 5 pounds of boost at 5,000 RPM and provide a
horsepower increase of approximately 35% at the rear wheels when bolted on a stock
engine."

35% of 130 is 45.
So your looking at 175 if you assume a brand new stock block with factory tolerances and 130hp.
Swap to carb and different manifold I could see getting 25 more hp out of it.
And also,that's only 5psi...

Wouldn't do it myself,but it's interesting.

(They also list one for an 87-88 EFI,however looks like they only make them for no A/C models.They also list it as "Offroad")

[This message has been edited by DefEddie (edited 11-20-2010).]

kellisor20

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2010 03:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kellisor20Send a Private Message to kellisor20Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by DefEddie:

An 86 engine would have a carburetor right?And not restricted by as many emissions or standards of an ECM controlled OBDI vehicle (which started in 1987).
I could see 230 from a new engine with tuned carb,just a tuned carb and intake manifold would make more power than the 130.
On some products that aren't CARB or EPA approved they can only advertise for what it is legal for.
That's probrably the reason why the 3.4HT engine was for "Carb" only application,same for the 383 vortec engine-they don't advertise it as the drop in for the newer engines that it is.
It might very well drop right in,but everything will be set up for carb manifold-carb fueling-S10 accessories and ignition etc..
Sounds interesting anyway,if it's not any cheaper though a centrifugal charger fits most all vehicles(as do turbochargers).

From "S10 PDF"

"Our kits come setup with a drive ratio for 5 pounds of boost at 5,000 RPM and provide a
horsepower increase of approximately 35% at the rear wheels when bolted on a stock
engine."

35% of 130 is 45.
So your looking at 175 if you assume a brand new stock block with factory tolerances and 130hp.
Swap to carb and different manifold I could see getting 25 more hp out of it.
And also,that's only 5psi...

Wouldn't do it myself,but it's interesting.

(They also list one for an 87-88 EFI,however looks like they only make them for no A/C models.They also list it as "Offroad")

Very good point as the 2.8 fieros are not carbed

------------------
86 2.8 gt

AL87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2010 04:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by joshh44:

i dont see a stock 2.8 with a bolted on supercharger make 230hp. thats almost an extra 100 hp over stock hp output. maybe on a 3.4 with some mods. then add the charger.

I was referring to putting the top mounted supercharger on a 3.4 to make 230-270hp a streetable race engine.

I am sure you could change the pulley size to increase pressure
and also the size of the supercharger itself.
I guess you could say I'm beating a dead horse with a dead tree's branch...

of course the way to go would be to upgrade to modern tech with something along the lines of a 3800 s/c or LS

this is what was done with a stock block 4.3 chevy vortec.
http://www.hotrod.com/pitst...rformance/index.html

[This message has been edited by AL87 (edited 11-20-2010).]

AL87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2010 04:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Direct Link to This Post

AL87

2578 posts
Member since Mar 2010

Originally posted by kellisor20:

Very good point as the 2.8 fieros are not carbed

I am trying to establish communication with the owner to see if maybe a supercharger that is compatable with a TB fiero could be made, I assume it would look similar to what a 3800 s/c looks like...
but either way, if I go with a carb, options open wayy up.
kellisor20

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2010 04:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kellisor20Send a Private Message to kellisor20Direct Link to This Post
Very true and best of luck to ya. I'll follow along on this thread to see what happens, as I am pretty interested.

------------------
86 2.8 gt

AL87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2010 04:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by kellisor20:

Very true and best of luck to ya. I'll follow along on this thread to see what happens, as I am pretty interested.

that's two of my threads now kellisor! hahaha lmao! XD =D
it seems apealling yes.
and if I had millions, I would put it into developing parts for fieros.
DefEddie

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2010 05:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DefEddieSend a Private Message to DefEddieDirect Link to This Post
One issue might be with the drawthru design of a carb supercharger.
The fuel is "drawn thru" and part of the equation on those types.
I believe there are different cooling,sealing and other design issues with a drier "blowthru" setup which is more similar design with an EFI port injected engine.
It might be as simple as bolting it on,but might lesson the life or change the efficency of the supercharger itself.

Not sure about that,just thought it might be an issue.
For the price tag,you could of course get more power from a swap for the same price as plenty of people will mention.
I would do it if I had the stuff laying on a parts car in my yard,but wouldn't spend the money on it.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2010 08:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
For the 2.8, you would probably be better off using a supercharger from an early 90's 3.8 ford. These were divorce mounted in that the supercharger had hosed inlets and exits and mounted off to the side of the engine.

PFF
System Bot
RotrexFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2010 10:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroDirect Link to This Post
Why go thru all that trouble and money when you can more easily do a turbo?

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2010 12:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

For the 2.8, you would probably be better off using a supercharger from an early 90's 3.8 ford. These were divorce mounted in that the supercharger had hosed inlets and exits and mounted off to the side of the engine.

I'm thinking the same thing. (Great idea Paul!)
The Fiero intake is so narrow, that there is no room for the injectors with a top mounted blower.
Probably why the manufacturer didn't pursue it.
Would have been way more complicated than the carbed engines. And then there's the ECM tuning thing that he mentioned.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock