Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Stant Radiator Cap now list a Non-vented Cap!

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Stant Radiator Cap now list a Non-vented Cap! by theogre
Started on: 12-16-2010 01:52 AM
Replies: 13
Last post by: cptsnoopy on 12-17-2010 09:01 PM
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 572
Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2010 01:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
That's right Stant has finally fix the Typo!

I've just checked Stant and Advance Auto... both list 10230 and 10330 but Stant web site also list 18231 and it's a vented one so watch it. (Some years have 18231 listed and others don't.)

Old catalogs and web sites still uses old/wrong Stant caps and other brand of cap may have wrong caps to...

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2010 12:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post
Thanks Oger, is the STANT one the one with that latch on the top, or is it the OEM replacement style one? I've been reluctant to buy a new one (using an old one) simply because of the stuff I've heard about using the wrong one...

------------------
Todd,
2008 Jeep Patriot Limited 4x2
2002 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr 4x2
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2010 02:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:

Thanks Oger, is the STANT one the one with that latch on the top, or is it the OEM replacement style one? I've been reluctant to buy a new one (using an old one) simply because of the stuff I've heard about using the wrong one...

Stant makes both, get the one without the latch. Now I don't have to find and write down the part number before I go to Advance anymore.
cptsnoopy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2010 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

Stant makes both, get the one without the latch. Now I don't have to find and write down the part number before I go to Advance anymore.

Why would you get the one without the latch? (I take it you mean lever for releasing pressure before unscrewing the cap)

Charlie

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2010 10:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

Yes but check other part store etc...
TFS still ship wrong one this month to France... see https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/113172.html

Originally posted by cptsnoopy:

Why would you get the one without the latch? (I take it you mean lever for releasing pressure before unscrewing the cap)

I don't.
1. Don't fool with it until coolant system is cold. Even LEV-R-VENT can fail if system is hot.
2. I mess with cap once a year if that... Good system and I check if overflow tank level is good or not.
3. LEV-R-VENT gives me problem in past. Has a nasty habit getting an air leak. Let's air in and won't suck coolant from overflow tank when engine cools off. Some peoples like LEV-R-VENT so whatever...

Caps... see Stant, Advance Auto, or my cave...

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 12-17-2010).]

82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2010 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

Charlie

Because it looks stock.

That's the only reason for me... I like my cars to look as they might come from the factory. The stant with the lever just looks too aftermarket, even if it is superior. That's the only thing preventing me from getting the Fiero Store Sprint manifolds, as apposed to just ceramic coating my exhaust logs (which have been hogged out)...

------------------
Todd,
2008 Jeep Patriot Limited 4x2
2002 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr 4x2
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter

cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2010 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the response guys!

I think those are good reasons. I personally have been lucky and I like being able to "burp" the system without having to try and get my hand in there to twist the cap. I was wondering if there was something bad about them but it sounds more like a preference.

Charlie

Jim_Martin29

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2010 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jim_Martin29Send a Private Message to Jim_Martin29Direct Link to This Post

. . . having to try and get my hand in there to twist the cap.

Charlie

A small oil filter strap wrench is a big help in getting the thermostat housing cap on and off. I always use it to make sure the cap is on all the way and sealed.

------------------
Jim Martin
White '86 GT
California

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2010 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post

I personally have been lucky and I like being able to "burp" the system without having to try and get my hand in there to twist the cap.

If, Big If, you coolant system works right...

The coolant system shouldn't need to burp much, if any, once the system is full. Air in radiator will work itself out 1-3 thermal cycles if rad cap, overflow tank and tube, is sealed. Overflow tank is there for a reason... I never open the rad cap to burp it. I do check overflow tank a couple of time if needs to add coolant.

Like when people say you need to jack car in back/front to fill a totally dry system... No need if system is working. Any air in coolant pipes will be pushed out when engine is started first time.

Originally posted by Jim_Martin29:

A small oil filter strap wrench is a big help in getting the thermostat housing cap on and off. I always use it to make sure the cap is on all the way and sealed.

X100 +
Tstat can be a real pain. Plus put some Brake Grease or any silicone grease on Tstat housing to keep it from rust. I use brake grease on housing any area than Tstat cap covers/touches.

------------------
(Jurassic Park)

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 12-17-2010).]

RickN

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2010 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RickNSend a Private Message to RickNDirect Link to This Post
I had to purchase a new cap for my '85GT late in 2009 and had read in the Ogre's Cave about the catalog error. After getting a new cap, I sent an email to Advance Auto Parts customer service about the catalog error, explaining the situation per what I'd read in the cave. I actually got a phone call from a customer service representative and explained the situation to him. Maybe it did some good.

------------------
RickN
White 88GT 5spd (<10K miles)
White 85GT (SC3800 Series II w/ AOD)
White 99 F250SD 7.3PSD 6spd
1956 Ford 860 Tractor w/ Freeman Loader
20Ft H&H Tilt Bed Trailer

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2010 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
Maybe... Very likely is my guess. Some in past have said Stant has not been very helpful. Advance complain to Stant should/would help. Advance Auto buys allot of Stant parts. Thanks to you.

------------------
(Jurassic Park)

PFF
System Bot
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2010 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
Ogre, Good Thread. Big Question: Is the cap on the front radiator the same as the cap on the engine where the thermostat goes ?

[This message has been edited by PaulJK (edited 12-18-2010).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2010 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
No. Tstat is bigger than Radiator.
Tstat in Stant part is a SWIV-ELĀ® cap.

SWIV-EL just means cap is loose on gasket part. Some caps are riveted solid to the gasket part and resist turning on/off. SWIV-EL are much easier to remove/replace the cap.

------------------
(Jurassic Park)

cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2010 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:If, Big If, you coolant system works right...

The coolant system shouldn't need to burp much, if any, once the system is full. Air in radiator will work itself out 1-3 thermal cycles if rad cap, overflow tank and tube, is sealed. Overflow tank is there for a reason... I never open the rad cap to burp it. I do check overflow tank a couple of time if needs to add coolant.
I am sure you are right, I just like to have confirmation. After a thermal cycle or two, hearing the excess air and then seeing the coolant flow into the bottle lets me know that there is nothing more to worry about. Unless of course it starts sucking air...

Charlie

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock