Started on: 08-19-2006 03:01 AM
Replies: 122
Last post by: 85 SE VIN 9 on 11-25-2011 07:39 AM
Whuffo

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 155
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2007 12:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WhuffoClick Here to visit Whuffo's HomePageSend a Private Message to WhuffoDirect Link to This Post
Yup, your pulse module is shorted. 85 and up Fieros have the pulse board built into the wiper, 84's have a separate module for it.
IP: Logged
jory543

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2007 06:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jory543Send a Private Message to jory543Direct Link to This Post
'85 2.5 manual, 96k miles. Tilt wheel, delay wipers and no cruise. Wipers don't work at all - fuse and circuits are good. Does anybody know what would cause this?
DRWBRTq19

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2007 01:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DRWBRTq19Send a Private Message to DRWBRTq19Direct Link to This Post
Well I replaced my wiper switch (in a 85) a few months back w/ the 87-88 switch. Since then everything has been working fine. Fast forward to about two days ago, and its started again. At first I thought that maybe I had hit the lever wrong and I had turned the wipers on as well. But now I'm experiencing full-blown phantom wipe. They wipe when I turn the signal on and after I finish the turn they wipe again...

So I guess its back to the drawing board for me. On the plus side the 87+ switch is cheaper to replace so there is always that, but I still need a real fix.

Keep up the good research Whuffo!

Drew
Suicycle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2007 08:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SuicycleClick Here to visit Suicycle's HomePageSend a Private Message to SuicycleDirect Link to This Post
And here I thought I was just rotating the switch a tiny bit when I hit the turn signal....

Thanks for all the research and footwork you've done, Whuffo! Once my phantom wipe gets more frequent, I'll have to replace the switch with the '87/'88 unit.

Again, thank you!

------------------
1986 Fiero GT
1997 Camaro SS #2703
2005 Honda 600RR
2001 GMC 2500HD
2004 Cavalier

87fierogtguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2008 12:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87fierogtguySend a Private Message to 87fierogtguyDirect Link to This Post
My "ghost" wipe ONLY happens when the car is started, (right now anyways), and sometimes it doesn't even cycle all the way, and I can touch the wiper mist, and it will go back, and be fine until I start it the next time. Someone said I might have to drop the steering column, and replace the switch inside the column. I have a 1987 Fiero GT, Tilt, cruise, and wiper delay.
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post01-24-2008 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
If it only wipes when starting the car and not touching the stalk then Rodney's cap kit may fix it and it's inexpensive to do. If doing anything to the wiper stalk triggers one or more phantom wipes then the switch is bad. You can do the switch in the car or pull the column, whichever way is easier for you. You can get a rough idea what needs to be done here:

Inside the GM tilt steering column

JazzMan

[This message has been edited by JazzMan (edited 01-24-2008).]

Puglet01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2008 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Puglet01Send a Private Message to Puglet01Direct Link to This Post
I have an 86 GT with the intermitent wipers and cruise. Mine will wipe once when I use the turn signals or high beams. It's a little annoying but not too bad. I also have an 88 Trans Am with what appears to be the same wiper switch. I didn't have the ghost wipe problem with it. That one just stopped working. I replaced that switch with a junkyard replacement. I didn't take the column apart. I tied a wire to the connector at the end of the switch wire and then pulled the old switch wire out through the top of the column. If it got hung up I just pulled it back with the wire I tied at the bottom end. You have to be gentle with this but it's just like using a fish tape for running wire through a wall at home. Once the connector came out the top I tied my fish wire around the new connector and pulled it back through the column from top to bottom. This may not work for everyone especially if your wire is wrapped around or through something inside the column. It could get hung up and not pull all the way through. But you could try it first and if it works it saves you a lot of time. If not you just have to dissassemble the column which you probably would have to do anyway. The Fiero and Firebird column may be too different for this to work but it's worth a try.
JazzMan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-28-2008 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
On the Fieros there's a plastic sleeve that the wiring goes through in the bottom of the column, it is physically impossible to pull the connector through that sleeve and attempting to do so will just rip the connector off the ends of the wires.

JazzMan
flimbob

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2008 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for flimbobSend a Private Message to flimbobDirect Link to This Post
Has anyone found a cheaper price than $60 + shipping for the 88 switch?
********************** Nevermind ***********************

Fierostore has it for $29

[This message has been edited by flimbob (edited 06-20-2008).]

sparx22

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2008 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sparx22Send a Private Message to sparx22Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by flimbob:

Has anyone found a cheaper price than $60 + shipping for the 88 switch?
********************** Nevermind ***********************

Fierostore has it for $29

I can only find a $149.95 wiper switch at the Fiero Store, what is the part number of the $29.00 switch?

LitebulbwithaFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2008 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LitebulbwithaFieroSend a Private Message to LitebulbwithaFieroDirect Link to This Post
I have an 88 and my wipers do one swipe when I hit the brakes.
PFF
System Bot
flimbob

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2008 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for flimbobSend a Private Message to flimbobDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sparx22:
I can only find a $149.95 wiper switch at the Fiero Store, what is the part number of the $29.00 switch?

Turns out the switch for $29 is the turn signal switch. The following link has them for $60 + shipping:
http://www.carpartswholesal...ro/wiper_switch.html
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 464
Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2008 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Turns out the switch for $29 is the turn signal switch. The following link has them for $60 + shipping:

http://www.carpartswholesal...ro/wiper_switch.html

We were just discusssing this very thing Here.

What is leading you to believe that the turn signal switch is not also the wiper switch? (I thought there was a possibility of a separate wiper switch elsewhere in the steering column until I was corrected.) Keep in mind I'm not referring to the stalk.

longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2008 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Whuffo:

Yup, your pulse module is shorted. 85 and up Fieros have the pulse board built into the wiper, 84's have a separate module for it.

where might i find the pulse module? is it easy to replace? im glad youve kept this thread going. i just checked back and noticed you replied (life goes on....) many thanks whuffo,
jon

------------------
I'm the original owner of a white ' 84 2M4 purchased Dec 10, 1983 from Pontiac. Always garaged, no rust, 4-wheel drifts are fun!

87GT_97114

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2008 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GT_97114Click Here to visit 87GT_97114's HomePageSend a Private Message to 87GT_97114Direct Link to This Post
Good information for me too. My '87 never did the phantom wipe thing, now I know why. My present '85 is doing it now, it has the wobblies so I'll replace the switch while I'm in there. Maybe rebuild the turn signal cam setup too, parts are cheap for that.

------------------

'85GT Indy clone 4.9 4T60E
'78 Toyota longbed, parts runner
'89 Bonneville daily driver
'87 30' Kit Classic TT, living in it.

flimbob

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2008 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for flimbobSend a Private Message to flimbobDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

We were just discusssing this very thing Here.

What is leading you to believe that the turn signal switch is not also the wiper switch? (I thought there was a possibility of a separate wiper switch elsewhere in the steering column until I was corrected.) Keep in mind I'm not referring to the stalk.

The picture of the wiper switch looks completely different than the turn signal switch. Maybe the actual problem is associated with the turn signal switch ( I don't know ). I also do not know where the wiper switch is located. I have yet to purchase either one as I have other Fiero priorities at the moment. If you do change the turn signal switch and it fixes the problem, please post about it. A lot of people would definately be interested in your findings.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 464
Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2008 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

The picture of the wiper switch looks completely different than the turn signal switch...

Well, as it turns out, I was corrected in the thread I earlier linked to again! Read the latest Here.
longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2008 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverDirect Link to This Post
i answered my own question with a search.
here is the answer for an 84:
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/092582.html
(edit)however mine looks quite different from the one in the schematic on the link. does anyone have a picture of the pulse wiper module?
thanx

------------------
I'm the original owner of a white ' 84 2M4 purchased Dec 10, 1983 from Pontiac. Always garaged, no rust, 4-wheel drifts are fun!

[This message has been edited by longjonsilver (edited 08-13-2008).]

longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2008 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverDirect Link to This Post
bump

------------------

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2008 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
85 with tilt, cruise, pulse....

I get the phantom wipe each and every time the turn signal is activated. Need a new switch. Thanks for the Rockauto link.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2008 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

jscott1

21676 posts
Member since Dec 2001

Originally posted by Patrick:

What is leading you to believe that the turn signal switch is not also the wiper switch? (I thought there was a possibility of a separate wiper switch elsewhere in the steering column until I was corrected.)

Because they are separate. The turn signal switch is right under the canceling cam. The wiper switch is at the base of the stalk. Two separate animals.

Wiper switch
http://cpwstore.carpartswho...+wiper+switch+d6372a

Turn signal switch
http://cpwstore.carpartswho...94966986+11531&Nty=1

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 08-13-2008).]

PFF
System Bot
longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2008 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverDirect Link to This Post
i found an 84 in the scrapyard and pulled the pulse wiper module. i now have wipers!
thanks guys
jon

------------------

zi_gravedigger

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2008 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zi_gravediggerSend a Private Message to zi_gravediggerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rdean:

1985 GT Tilt and Delay

Wiper switch bad
If you find a correction or a reasonably priced switch please let me know.

Ray

Same here- 85 GT, tilt, delay. Bumps and turn signal use often (but not always) cause a single swipe. Delay funtion barely works (I have low-high and off, delay stays off until just before the low setting)
Kagen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2008 06:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KagenSend a Private Message to KagenDirect Link to This Post
I have an 87 with tilt wheel and my wipers are always on till I take the fuse out. Its not that bad till i'm going 80 on the highway with no shoulder and it starts pouring rain out of nowhere. The switch is all the way off and they will go a little slower then the slowest setting, but I can still make them go faster by turning them up.
ellimays

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2009 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ellimaysSend a Private Message to ellimaysDirect Link to This Post
I have a 86 se and my wipersdoes the same thing. Comes on by there self when I turn or hit a bump. It is a tilt wheel. It is very aggrivating.
mtjd25

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2009 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mtjd25Send a Private Message to mtjd25Direct Link to This Post
86 2m4 five speed, tilt wheel, delay wipers, come on when you flick the headlights.
ghostwalker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2010 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ghostwalkerSend a Private Message to ghostwalkerDirect Link to This Post
Hello Everyone: I was following this thread and remembered seeing this on Craigslist and thought it might prove useful to members of the group, it concerns rebuilding the steering column in GM Cars. Have a great day and "GOD" Bless

USED AND REBUILT GM COLUMNS 1970 -2003 ** (916) 947- 0565 *clevelandcory@ymail.com

CAN REPAIR YOUR EXISTING COLUMN * THEFT REPAIR* IGNITION REPLACMENT** OR JUST WORN OUT ,** mobile repair ,**weekends & nights ok ! I have many refrences on request, no money due until the job is completed.... Have many parts in stock , most jobs take a couple of hours ..

if i dont answer please leave a message, Thank you

------------------
Ghostwalker

Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2010 02:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoDirect Link to This Post
1985 SE 2.8, AUTOMATIC, tilt, does it when I turn the key on initially, just 1 swipe ! if I shut it off then turn it on again, it won't do it. it has to wait awhile before it will do it 1 time again, then not for awhile.
thedrue

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2010 02:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thedrueSend a Private Message to thedrueDirect Link to This Post
86 GT. Tilt and wiper delay. It does it almost every time I switch the high beams on or off. Very annoying
fiamma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2010 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiammaSend a Private Message to fiammaDirect Link to This Post
87GT The phantom wipe on startup began about 30K miles. Changed the board several times but didn't help.
Drove it for awhile with unplugged board, plugged it in for rain. Then became more erratic and finally wouldn't
work at all so I just leave it unplugged. Have had a motorcycle for many years and used to riding in the rain
so not a problem. I took the wipers off and car looks better without.
The $100 part would not be a problem but the labor to put it in would be. Am not a mechanic.
Has tilt and delay.
Mr.Goodwrench

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2010 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.GoodwrenchClick Here to visit Mr.Goodwrench's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.GoodwrenchDirect Link to This Post
85 2m4 tilt, delay, no cruise. wipers go if gently touch the swich or even just hit a bump.

[This message has been edited by Mr.Goodwrench (edited 02-21-2010).]

PFF
System Bot
longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2010 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverDirect Link to This Post
does anybody know a source for new capacitors for repairing the wiper module? i have an 84 and there is no kit available.
thanx
jon

------------------

dguy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2010 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dguySend a Private Message to dguyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by longjonsilver:

does anybody know a source for new capacitors for repairing the wiper module? i have an 84 and there is no kit available.
thanx
jon

If you can identify the capacitors, you can likely order what you need from Digi-Key Corporation.
longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2010 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverDirect Link to This Post
bump
Silver_85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2011 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Silver_85GTSend a Private Message to Silver_85GTDirect Link to This Post
I can't find the wiper switch for any year Fiero from any source. Does anyone know if the switch (with tilt and delay) from an 1987 Chevy S10 is compatible?

Thanks in advance,
Rob
86GT
85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2011 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by PhatMax:

85 GT No ghost wipes but....no low sped or delay. high speed only and it wont park.
No cruise on this car. V6 4 speed

I'm pretty sure that's the motor, not the switch. Common to all vehicles with electric wiper motors. I have same problem, bought motor, still not installed.

Lately I've been having ghost washer pump operation, usually at startup. Pump doesn't work when intended. It did before taking the steering column apart to replace the cylinder. Dangling wires may be to blame.

I don't think you have to disassemble the column all that far to replace the switch.
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2011 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoDirect Link to This Post
86 SE. intermittant/ tilt. everything works as it should , BUT any time at "cold Startup" (not after it's been running for a minute & then restarted), it will take 1 swipe, then return to normal.
neph

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2011 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nephSend a Private Message to nephDirect Link to This Post
Still interested in info?

86 GT, tilt, delay, cruise.

Swipes once on occasion when using turn signal (ensuring I do not actually initiate the wipers)
JazzMan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-30-2011 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
The wiper switch is in the column and requires a fair amount of disassembly to get the upper shroud off to remove the switch. The switches for the cruise are in the stalk, not the wiper switch. The turn signal switch is operated off of a cam from the wiper switch, which actually moves up and down inside the column as you apply turn signals. Wiper switches come in two varieties, intermittent and three speed, and do not interchange electrically. Many GM products over the years used the same column and wiper switches, across multiple car and truck lines. Basically, if you're in a wrecking yard and the column looks like a Fiero's column, then the switches are the same respective of the two types.
perceptionist

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2011 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for perceptionistSend a Private Message to perceptionistDirect Link to This Post
Just read this whole thread and wondering if any of the contributors experienced my issue...

Everything with the wipers, turn signals etc works perfect but the Washer pump does not work?

Pump is new and I tested.

I have another thread created on this, but after reading this thread I am wondering if my particular issue could be caused by a mismatched wiper control board and wiper switch?

I still have some reading to do in the service manual and troubleshooting, but this thread sparked some thoughts on this issue I have been living with forever.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock