Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Just got my car back from the shop.... (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
Just got my car back from the shop.... by Xeps
Started on: 04-13-2010 09:23 PM
Replies: 85
Last post by: ProjectPb on 05-09-2011 03:02 AM
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2010 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoDirect Link to This Post
that would be a great idea, BUT... the transmission & Oil pan are about an inch apart, & there is no "Clear through" way to even see where the crank meets the seal , less clean it. the only way he's going to know if it's the Seal, Or leaking at the Pan is to separate the engine from the trans. Thats why I said ,"Look at the OIL TUBE first, running down from the Dist, separating the engine should be a last ditch effort. wouldn't they feel foolish if they "pulled the engine, separed it, & found," oops, It's Not the seal ! ?
IP: Logged
86GT3.4DOHC

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 306
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2010 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post
I have seen a TON of 'rear main seal' leaks that were just the distributor O ring. The way it sits, it is very hard to tell its leaking, and it will run down the engine and drip like a rear main.

Check real close and see. Spray some brake cleaner on the area, it will dry quicky, then run the engine and see if it looks moist around there.
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2010 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lou6t4gto:

that would be a great idea, BUT... the transmission & Oil pan are about an inch apart, & there is no "Clear through" way to even see where the crank meets the seal , less clean it.

Lou, what I meant was that it may not be at the rear of the engine at all... we're all just guessing it may be there. I wasn't even insinuating that we'd be able to tell what was leaking by a photo if indeed the leak was at the rear of the engine. If by chance it turns out that it is leaking at the rear, then he shouldn't jump to conclusions that it's the main rear seal. It could be just the pan, the cam cover, or as you suggested, from the distributor shaft.
30+mpg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2010 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgDirect Link to This Post
A very common situation:

Fiero + shop = problems

BTDT with other cars. I do all my own work when possible.

With a Fiero you're going to have to make the effort or fork over wads of cash to various shops.
Xeps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2010 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XepsSend a Private Message to XepsDirect Link to This Post
I jacked the rear end up and took a look under it, but i couldnt even begin to tell where the leak is coming from because it seemed to be dripping down all over everything, so we are going to wash the underneath tommorrow so we will be able to see where the freshly leaked oil is coming from....
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2010 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartDirect Link to This Post
You can also buy a die that you put in the oil then you can see where the leak is coming from with a black light.
Xeps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2010 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XepsSend a Private Message to XepsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Justinbart:

You can also buy a die that you put in the oil then you can see where the leak is coming from with a black light.

i have a blacklight! Thats pretty badass idea haha! Is it expensive?
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2010 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartDirect Link to This Post
I have no idea, I just remember doing that in auto shop in highschool.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 329
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2010 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
This undoubtedly sounds like the work of a half ass mechanic. Any legitimate shop would have not let the car go if it had an oil leak. Good luck getting it fixed.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Amida

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2010 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaDirect Link to This Post
Oil leaks leave a shiny wet trail from wherever the source is. With that amount of leakage it should be easy to spot. Take a flashlight & mirror & snoop around starting from the top side & work your way down to the bottom. Also, drag your fingers around gaskets & seals. If you feel/see oil on our fingers then you're getting close to the source. Check the oil pan bolts, new gaskets may settle requiring you to tighten the pan bolts a little more.

The shop did inform you of the leak, but It's unfortunate that they didn't see/realize the severity of the leak beforehand. If you hired them to install what you give them, then that's what they're going to do, leaks 'n all. Hopefully it's not a leaky main seal, if it is then the fault goes back to whoever rebuilt the motor.
Xeps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2010 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XepsSend a Private Message to XepsDirect Link to This Post
using pictures mulletproofmonk sent as a guide, i looked for pudles of oil here, i havent looked with the car running yet because it is dark and hard to see anything,
I tried to take a detailed picture of the puddle but it is hard to wedge my phone in there and get a pic
PFF
System Bot
Amida

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2010 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaDirect Link to This Post
Puddles of oil on the top side = puddles of oil on the ground. It looks like you have more than one leak source. Possibly intake manifold/head seal, or distributor, & valve cover gasket. Oil trickling down the rear of the motor can make the appearance of a leaky oil pan/main seal. You're getting close, but further snooping required.
Indiana_resto_guy

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2010 06:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana_resto_guySend a Private Message to Indiana_resto_guyDirect Link to This Post
If it were me I would start with the distributor O ring.
Might be someone forgot to install one.
Nazareth

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2010 08:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NazarethSend a Private Message to NazarethDirect Link to This Post
Distributor O ring about a buck at most auto parts stores.. easy to replace.. might fix it, might simply eliminate it as a source.
Joseph Upson

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2010 08:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonDirect Link to This Post
1 piece rear main seals are like Fort Knox, when installed correctly they don't leak for a LONG 6 figure mileage time. Even on a grooved crank they do very well.
Since the engine arrived attached to a transmission it is obviously a used motor and without a solid history I'm not sure the rebuilt factor is relevant anymore.
If the rear seal is the problem the shop did you a disservice by not at least recommending you have them replace it as it would be hard to miss on removal of the flywheel and installing the flex plate.

As a matter of fact, any irregularity they noticed should have been mentioned to you before install to avoid situations like this as well as put a little more cash in their pocket and give you a piece of mind. Maybe it's the distributor seal as some have suggested or a problem near the filter. I don't recall mention of the valve cover gasket being a possibility as well.

It's unfortunate but now days you have to spoon feed a lot of the service providers with common sense instructions they should already have.

I observed a poor customer's ~$3500 bill for a double cylinderhead replacement on a V6 Dodge intrepid with a blown head gasket. The tech said they shopped on Car-part.com and couldn't find an engine. I checked and found a complete motor with nearly the same 87k miles on it as what they were working on within about 50 miles of the shop (and several others) while the car was in the shop. One cylinder head cost as much as the used low mileage engine ~$850. The complete engine swap would have saved the customer about $1600 plus the possibility of future engine failure due to water in the engine oil. What do you think.

[This message has been edited by Joseph Upson (edited 04-18-2010).]

MulletproofMonk

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2010 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MulletproofMonkClick Here to visit MulletproofMonk's HomePageSend a Private Message to MulletproofMonkDirect Link to This Post
Luke,
I think you will find the answer over here. https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/109033.html

------------------
-Brian

My 87 GT Poly Suspension Upgrade (all pics) thread https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/094633.html

Removing the roof panel
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/106413.html

katore8105

Feedback score:    (28)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2010 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katore8105Click Here to visit katore8105's HomePageSend a Private Message to katore8105Direct Link to This Post
If the engine was still attached to the transmission when you bought it and the shop removed the transmission, flywheel and flex plate and didn't see gobs of oil inside the bell housing, I find it hard to believe that it is the rear main seal unless the engine was sitting for a very very long time. (ie: enough time for the rubber on the seal to dry rot. I just don't think the installation would have damaged it so either it was leaking before and they blatantly ignored it, or the leak is coming from somewhere else. This is also assuming that this "rebuilt" engine wasn't "rebuilt" and then mated to the transmission without ever having installed it or adding fluids.
Just my .02 in my limited experience.
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2010 01:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopDirect Link to This Post
Its obvious you are not a mechanic but your putting in a good effort. If the shop quoted you a price to fix the leak, they probably know where the leak is, if not it wouldn't be a bad Idea to get another shop to look at it.
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2010 01:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopDirect Link to This Post

jmbishop

4484 posts
Member since Jul 2006

Originally posted by Joseph Upson:

As a matter of fact, any irregularity they noticed should have been mentioned to you before install to avoid situations like this as well as put a little more cash in their pocket and give you a piece of mind. Maybe it's the distributor seal as some have suggested or a problem near the filter. I don't recall mention of the valve cover gasket being a possibility as well.

It's unfortunate but now days you have to spoon feed a lot of the service providers with common sense instructions they should already have.

Sometimes seals can be funny, It might only leak when it gets oil pressure. I doubt the shop ran the engine outside of the car. I agree if it was my shop it would have been pulled apart and the customer would have been charged for the parts but not the labor, even that would leave some customers ungrateful after the bill goes up and the cars stays at the shop 2x more time than it was supposed to.

[This message has been edited by jmbishop (edited 05-31-2010).]

Xeps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2010 02:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for XepsSend a Private Message to XepsDirect Link to This Post
as mullet\brian pointed out, there was no rear seal at all
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/109033.html
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2010 03:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, that's a pretty big thing to miss.
PFF
System Bot
MulletproofMonk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2010 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MulletproofMonkClick Here to visit MulletproofMonk's HomePageSend a Private Message to MulletproofMonkDirect Link to This Post
Since people didn't look at the other thread, I separated the transmission and there is no rear main seal. Since the shop had to take off the 4 speed/clutch/flywheel to put on the automatic/torque convertor/flexplate they should have noticed there was NO rear main seal. It was obvious to me and I am not a mechanic working at a shop...

------------------
-Brian

My 87 GT Poly Suspension Upgrade (all pics) thread https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/094633.html

Removing the roof panel

[This message has been edited by MulletproofMonk (edited 05-31-2010).]

katore8105

Feedback score:    (28)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2010 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katore8105Click Here to visit katore8105's HomePageSend a Private Message to katore8105Direct Link to This Post
WOW! What a shitty shop! I still don't know as if there is any liability on their behalf but not noticing that is nearly impossible and not informing you to buy one or even throwing in one for free speaks volumes for them. They can see that you needed their professionalism to make sure this swap was done correctly and apparently could have cared less. I am sorry for this shitty situation dude.
Xeps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2010 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XepsSend a Private Message to XepsDirect Link to This Post
I am going to the shop tommorrow to have a talk with them
87antuzzi

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 228
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2010 12:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziDirect Link to This Post
Im confused now. Is xeps car at muttletproofmonks place???? It the no main seal engine xeps engine???
Xeps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2010 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for XepsSend a Private Message to XepsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 87antuzzi:

Im confused now. Is xeps car at muttletproofmonks place???? It the no main seal engine xeps engine???

yes and yes
Xeps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2010 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for XepsSend a Private Message to XepsDirect Link to This Post

Xeps

121 posts
Member since Aug 2009
So, i went to the shop today and i showed them the picture of the no seal, and i asked them howcomethey didnt notice when they did the swap, andthey went onto tell me that the flexplate was already bolted on to the engine and ETC, they kept spitting off in mechanic lingo, and i said "well, from my understanding,it was a manual transmission, i have an automatic, and when you switched it over this rear seal should of been exposed" to which they told me that theengine was on a wooden crate (the engine stand we brought it in on) and they were taking the transmission off from above and they dont inspect engines. They assumed that it was a perfect engine. they basically just walked circles around me, i dont know nearly enough to stand there and argue with them. But it sucks, i happened to see my old engine outside when i got there, it was sitting on the engine stand, and it wasnt hard to see a rear while stand up looking down on the engine.
So because they dont inspect engines means they do it with their ****ing eyes closed?

idk, there is no way they can be held responsible, because if i go talk to them,they just tell me how im wrong and start speaking their mechanic lingo, and im left confused, and unable to argue back.

phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 291
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2010 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
Well I see it as two arguments.

1 They should have noticed once the flywheel was off that the seal was missing.
I see some value in the argument. It sure would have been nice if they did notice it and it got fixed before the engine was installed in the car.

the other argument is

2 All engines need to be assembled with the rear main seal in place
This argument is without a modifier like should. Anyone who assembles an engine without a seal is clearly not doing it right.

Which argument has more weight? Clearly #2. Sorry to say I don't think you can hold the shop that installed the engine responsible. Their job was to install an engine you delivered to them that they were told was a good working engine. Any responsible shop would do things like check and make sure there is oil in the crankcase before starting it. A responsible shop however would NOT check for the installation of a proper rear main seal during the installation. Has anyone looked to see if the front seal is proper? Nope - because it's not part of the install.

I'm sure this isn't what you wanted to hear but I can't see holding the installing shop responsible for the mistake of the engine assembler.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2010 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
I feel your pain myself. Since you supplied the engine, they wont be responsible for the engine itself, only the labor and parts they supplied. I always get them to sign a paper noting any damage on the car, and by signing it theyre responsible for any new damage. If they didnt sign such a statement you may be screwed on the damage they did...you have no way to prove they did it.

Im dealing with sort of the same problem. I did a rebuild on my Coronet engine while a local 'reputable' shop did my heads and install hardened seats. They were to install them and finish from there to get the car running. All they did was to tear them down and polish the valves, and painted the heads. They also neglected to put in valve seals (must have gotten distracted during assembly). My brand new engine (so I thought) blew out 5 quarts of oil on the way home and locked up. Im still fighting with them. They had the car from first of March. Supposedly theyre rebuilding it from scratch. Im now only wanting it to start and move as I already have another new engine coming that Im putting in myself. I wont trust his engine rebuild around the block. Yes, I already filed a lawsuit for $7000 in damage whether they have it running or not. ($4500 for new engine installed, $2500/ or return the car I traded them for the work.) At least your car still has a working engine

Lesson learned...............Dont take your car anywhere for service on anything unless you watch what theyre doing the entire time.
Xeps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2010 12:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for XepsSend a Private Message to XepsDirect Link to This Post
Were still trying to get ahold of the PO of the engine to see if he did put the rear seal in when he rebuilt, in which case could mean foul play on the mechanics part, or if he did indeed forget to install it
MulletproofMonk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2010 09:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MulletproofMonkClick Here to visit MulletproofMonk's HomePageSend a Private Message to MulletproofMonkDirect Link to This Post
The PO had NAPA Motors rebuild the bottom end of the motor including dipping the block, grinding the crank, bearings, cam, cam seals. Wouldn't the rear main seal be installed at that time? PO thought that the rear main seal might be leaking because the crank could have been ground too much... Obviously that isn't the case...

Also the PO said that the motor set for an extended amount of time after being rebuilt (about a year sticks in my mind). Based on the rust that is on the end of the crank and around the lip of the block I would say that it set for awhile. Now my arguement is that if the motor set around long enough for that metal to rust, shouldn't the groove for the rear main seal also have rust built up in it? Since it is clean and clear, I cannot believe that it set without a seal and stayed rust free...

------------------
-Brian

Removing the roof panel

PFF
System Bot
Joseph Upson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2010 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonDirect Link to This Post
They intended to change that rear seal, removed it, got distracted, forgot about it and put the flywheel on. A couple of weeks ago after putting the flywheel on my engine I skipped tightening the bolts down and was in the process of centering the clutch disc beneath the pressure plate before I realized it. No one takes a rear main seal off an engine that is going to be left sitting in a corner somewhere, it makes no sense. I believe they intended to change it as a precaution or apparent necessity and forgot to install the new seal.

[This message has been edited by Joseph Upson (edited 06-03-2010).]

phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2010 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
From what I understand it was receintly rebuilt but not yet ran. It seems to make more sence to say the seal was left off then (You can't put the seal on while it is still on the engine stand) than to say the installers took it off (they knew it was just rebuilt and the seal should have been new so they had no reason to believe it to be bad) and then forgot to re-install one.

Note - The (facts) stated here, used to base my conclusion, are only from my understanding of what happened from reading the thread.
MulletproofMonk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2010 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MulletproofMonkClick Here to visit MulletproofMonk's HomePageSend a Private Message to MulletproofMonkDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by phonedawgz:
From what I understand it was receintly rebuilt but not yet ran. It seems to make more sence to say the seal was left off then (You can't put the seal on while it is still on the engine stand) than to say the installers took it off (they knew it was just rebuilt and the seal should have been new so they had no reason to believe it to be bad) and then forgot to re-install one.

Note - The (facts) stated here, used to base my conclusion, are only from my understanding of what happened from reading the thread.

The motor was rebuilt and then attached to the 4 speed transmission to be installed in the car. The engine/transmission set that way until I bought it and sold it to Xeps. He then had the shop install it in his car which is an automatic. At THAT point the shop removed the 4 speed, clutch, flywheel and installed the automatic, torque convertor, flex plate...

------------------
-Brian

Removing the roof panel

Joseph Upson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2010 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonDirect Link to This Post

You can put the seal on while the engine is on an engine stand. That's where my engines have been when I've done it. I just find it hard to believe you can miss the absence of that seal when raising a flywheel up to it.
MulletproofMonk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2010 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MulletproofMonkClick Here to visit MulletproofMonk's HomePageSend a Private Message to MulletproofMonkDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Joseph Upson:
You can put the seal on while the engine is on an engine stand. That's where my engines have been when I've done it. I just find it hard to believe you can miss the absence of that seal when raising a flywheel up to it.

That is kind of my point. You remove the flywheel to bolt the flexplate on... I also don't like the fact that they tried to tell him the flexplate was assembled on there when they got it... It truely looks like they pulled the flywheel, thought "that seal should be replaced", pulled it out and forgot to reinstall one (maybe they went to lunch or it was the end of the day and they forgot). I don't think that they were trying to do malicious damage, I think maybe they had good intentions but forgot it and are in CYA mode...

------------------
-Brian

Removing the roof panel

phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2010 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MulletproofMonk:

The motor was rebuilt and then attached to the 4 speed transmission to be installed in the car. The engine/transmission set that way until I bought it and sold it to Xeps. He then had the shop install it in his car which is an automatic. At THAT point the shop removed the 4 speed, clutch, flywheel and installed the automatic, torque convertor, flex plate...

That is kind of my point. You remove the flywheel to bolt the flexplate on... I also don't like the fact that they tried to tell him the flexplate was assembled on there when they got it... It truely looks like they pulled the flywheel, thought "that seal should be replaced", pulled it out and forgot to reinstall one (maybe they went to lunch or it was the end of the day and they forgot). I don't think that they were trying to do malicious damage, I think maybe they had good intentions but forgot it and are in CYA mode...

So I still don't get it. Perhaps someone can enlighten me. They were pulling one tranny to install the other tranny, and they knew the engine was rebuilt but not installed in a car, correct?

So why would they have thought "that seal should be replaced"?
MulletproofMonk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2010 03:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MulletproofMonkClick Here to visit MulletproofMonk's HomePageSend a Private Message to MulletproofMonkDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 87antuzzi:

Let me fill in the history of what happened here and Xeps (Luke) can correct me if I state something wrong...

I bought a car and the motor (with attached 4 speed) from fieroluv and sold Xeps the motor. I asked Xeps who was going to install the motor and he said he had a shop local to him that knew Fieros and would do it for $500. So Xeps had the motor installed by the shop and they ended up charging him $900 for the install. Now when he goes to pickup the car, the shop immediately tells him that it has leaking rear main seal and it would be $xxx to fix it because they have to drop it out again. This seems reasonable at that point because I assumed that it was a seal leaking and not a missing seal.

So at that time Xeps posts this thread. When he posted, he never trashed me or even listed my name as the seller. I could have said "sorry, that's tough luck", but I made the personal choice to make the situation right. I offered to pull the motor and replace the rear main seal if Xeps paid for the parts. Madess (my best friend) towed Xeps car to my house for me and is "helping" me (I say "helping" because he is doing the bulk of the work and has a trick to doing this).

So Madess and I get to the rear main seal (or where it should be) and no seal. So this is where the debate comes in. When the shop installed the motor in Xeps car, (I know some of you will get tired of reading it) they exposed that rear main seal and should have offered to replace it (at a cost of course). Again, to me it appears that the seal was removed based on the lack of rust...

------------------
-Brian

Removing the roof panel

phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2010 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post

When the shop installed the motor in Xeps car, (I know some of you will get tired of reading it) they exposed that rear main seal and should have offered to replace it

So still I don't understand why they should have offered to replace a brand new seal?

(at a cost of course). Again, to me it appears that the seal was removed based on the lack of rust...

Actually when I look at the bore the seal goes into on the upper sides I do see rust.

MulletproofMonk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2010 03:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MulletproofMonkClick Here to visit MulletproofMonk's HomePageSend a Private Message to MulletproofMonkDirect Link to This Post

So I still don't get it. Perhaps someone can enlighten me. They were pulling one tranny to install the other tranny, and they knew the engine was rebuilt but not installed in a car, correct?

So why would they have thought "that seal should be replaced"?

Correct, they had to swap transmissions, so they should be looking at that crank just like in my picture, twice. Would you notice that the seal was missing if you were a mechanic? Again, if the motor set without the seal, why isn't it oxidized like the end of the crank and block? Hell, I should go get his old blown engine and pull the seal to see if it rusts in the lip...

------------------
-Brian

Removing the roof panel

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock