Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Just got my car back from the shop.... (Page 3)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
Just got my car back from the shop.... by Xeps
Started on: 04-13-2010 09:23 PM
Replies: 85
Last post by: ProjectPb on 05-09-2011 03:02 AM
MulletproofMonk

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2010 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MulletproofMonkClick Here to visit MulletproofMonk's HomePageSend a Private Message to MulletproofMonkDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by phonedawgz:
Actually when I look at the bore the seal goes into on the upper sides I do see rust.

That is because the seal sits back inside the lip. I have a picture at home that I took after I installed the seal.

------------------
-Brian

My 87 GT Poly Suspension Upgrade (all pics) thread https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/094633.html

Removing the roof panel
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/106413.html

IP: Logged
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 291
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2010 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
So you're saying the rust shows the engine was delivered to them with a seal in it that they removed?

Originally posted by Xeps:

i just talked to my dad, and he said they told him that there was a problem with the "Rear seal", which they said was due to the PO who rebuilt the engine,...

Originally posted by MulletproofMonk:

It truely looks like they pulled the flywheel, thought "that seal should be replaced", pulled it out and forgot to reinstall one (maybe they went to lunch or it was the end of the day and they forgot).

The engine had never been ran. The shop charged for filling the crankcase with oil. Why would they have pulled the rear main seal of an engine that was just rebuilt and never run?

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 06-03-2010).]

MulletproofMonk

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2010 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MulletproofMonkClick Here to visit MulletproofMonk's HomePageSend a Private Message to MulletproofMonkDirect Link to This Post
I got an email today from fieroluv (Brian) and he confirmed that he installed a rear main seal. He said that he was afraid that it might leak because of the slight lip on the crank shaft. I guess the only answer then is that the shop removed the seal...

------------------
-Brian

My 87 GT Poly Suspension Upgrade (all pics) thread https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/094633.html

Removing the roof panel
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/106413.html

rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2010 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
I got mine back yesterday. They wanted more money. I took police with me. Drove off no charge.
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 291
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2010 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MulletproofMonk:

I got an email today from fieroluv (Brian) and he confirmed that he installed a rear main seal. He said that he was afraid that it might leak because of the slight lip on the crank shaft. I guess the only answer then is that the shop removed the seal...

Take this however you wish. Two people say two things that look like both can't be true. How do you know for sure which one is? Beats me. I'm not saying either is not telling the truth. I just am saying I don't think the evidence is there to say for sure that anyone is NOT telling the truth.

ProjectPb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2011 03:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ProjectPbSend a Private Message to ProjectPbDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by phonedawgz:

So you're saying the rust shows the engine was delivered to them with a seal in it that they removed?
The engine had never been ran. The shop charged for filling the crankcase with oil. Why would they have pulled the rear main seal of an engine that was just rebuilt and never run?

yes this is the real question why would the shop pull the seal if they knew the engine was just rebuilt and never ran Or if the seal was missing how they missed. From the lack of rust inside the lip i will have to side with monk and say the shop for some unknown reason removed it got distracted and forgot to replace it.

------------------
85 SE 2m4 2.4 L4 5 speed
87 GT 2.8 V6 5 speed Gold and Gray
88 Formula CJB T-Top Project i think its going to stay Formula

ProjectPb for all for paintball needs check this out

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors