86 Fiero 2.8L 6 Cylinder by fawnhansen
Started on: 03-30-2011 07:43 AM
Replies: 11
Last post by: JazzMan on 03-30-2011 10:55 AM
fawnhansen

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2011 07:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fawnhansenSend a Private Message to fawnhansenDirect Link to This Post
I have a problem, I need some serious help. I have searched everywhere for a belt routing diagram on my fiero, even auto parts stores have one that looks completely different from mine. There are only four pullys on mine. I am not exactly sure how many belts and where they should be (the correct way). I have 2 belts on it right now I placed them based on their size and where they would fit.

With the two belts that I put on the car will run and runs fine! There is no belt on the alternator though, and so the battery is not recharging. The battery light is on and the battery will now eventually die without the belt on the alternator (is this correct?)

I have the service manual and nowhere in its 1303 pages does it have a diagram either!!!
PLEASE HELP ME!!!!

------------------
FAWN HANSEN

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2011 08:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Direct Link to This Post
Welcome to the Forum Fawn.....

Do you know how to post pictures yet? Pictures help a lot, but you will get your help one way or another.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 03-30-2011).]

Indiana_resto_guy

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2011 08:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana_resto_guySend a Private Message to Indiana_resto_guyDirect Link to This Post
One belt, a 'V' belt drives the A/C compressor from the crankshaft. Tension is set by movint the compressor.
The other belt, a serpentene belt drives the water pump and the alternator from the crankshaft. Tension is set by movint the alternator on the lower side of the bracket.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2011 08:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Direct Link to This Post
Sorta like this....the AC compressor is missing, but the belt is there. This is an 88.

fawnhansen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2011 09:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fawnhansenSend a Private Message to fawnhansenDirect Link to This Post
That picture is very helpful looks more like mine than anything I have found so It is the two belts that I just have placed wrong. Now I still have a question though. I put one of the belts on the two pulleys in the middle (sorry I do not know what they are....not a mechanic by any means but really trying to get this going for my husband to get to work because our van is constantly overheating and unreliable) and the A/C compressor, but it is the same type belt that is shown in the picture to connect to the A/C compressor, a belt with grooves. In the picture the belt has no grooves and is smooth, is this the type of belt I need or does it matter???

Also, does anyone have the proper sizes and names of the belts so I can be sure to have the correct ones???

Thank you so much for your help so far!!!

I do not have the car with me now to look at it and try to remedy this

------------------
FAWN HANSEN

1fatcat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2011 09:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fatcatSend a Private Message to 1fatcatDirect Link to This Post
You don't NEED the a/c belt, especially if the a/c doesn't work anyways (don't know if yours works or not). The notches in the pictured a/c belt are not a big deal, some have them some don't. It's just a difference in the brands.
fawnhansen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2011 09:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fawnhansenSend a Private Message to fawnhansenDirect Link to This Post
Hi 1fatcat,

So what you are saying is that I only need the one belt that goes from the alternator to the two pulleys in the middle, if my A/C doesn't work (which it never has since we have owned the car)???

Any idea on the size??? While calling around I was told a size of 37 1/2 inches and of 42 inches for the serpentine belt.

------------------
FAWN HANSEN

Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2011 09:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Direct Link to This Post
The bigger belt is called a flat or 'serpentine' belt. it has little grooves in the inside that match the pullys that it rides on, and it is wider than the other one. If you go to the auto parts store they will have it listed by car and year...This belt is used on a lot of cars, so they will have one. 42" sounds about right...but I always trust the parts guy.

fawnhansen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2011 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fawnhansenSend a Private Message to fawnhansenDirect Link to This Post
Hi Gall757,

Thanl you very much, when my husband is home from work I will go over get the belt and place it where it should go. Is 1fatcat right then that I only need the one belt or should I still put both of them on???

I just want to say that this web site is a life saver, I cannot thank you all enough!

------------------
FAWN HANSEN

Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2011 09:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Direct Link to This Post
Fatcat speaks the truth. Are you gonna install the belt? Do you know how that works?

fawnhansen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2011 09:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fawnhansenSend a Private Message to fawnhansenDirect Link to This Post
Excellent, thanks again!

------------------
FAWN HANSEN

PFF
System Bot
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post03-30-2011 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
The grooves are an option typically found on higher-quality belts; they allow the belt to wrap around the alternator pulley a little more tightly for better grip. For belt brand, I recommend only the Goodyear Gatorback, number 4050410. Amazon has them for less than $10 now, Rockauto has them for $12.75. My last one lasted over 100k miles before the oil leak took it out.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock